Unconfirmed Phantom Images

Do you think it would help to add the backstory essay as well? Or might that muddle things up?

Whenever it is decided to show all of the proof, yes. Pointing out the similarities could jog his memory.

Maybe we could have all the proof in its own file and just kind of present it all at once in the initial question to him? Idk, you guys are better at this forum stuff than me, I just feel like if he doesnā€™t outright answer the question or he needs more elaboration, it would be harder to get a second response

1 Like

Thatā€™s a fair point.

Maybe it should be structured in 2 parts:

The first part would be very quick: Here are the pictures, do you remember this?

Then the second part would be: If you donā€™t remember it, hereā€™s what we think it is, and why we think it. Is this correct?

4 Likes

Yeah I canā€™t imagine him responding two times in a row.

5 Likes

I think thatā€™s a great idea. So I guess letā€™s, as a group, figure out how to word this. Iā€™d love input from everyone. I think @TheJerminator s original letter is a great jumping off point. I know everyone isnā€™t necessarily doing this for me, as much as itā€™s to solve this decade-and-a-half-old mystery. But as far as Iā€™m concerned, weā€™re in this together, so letā€™s get a draft together and drop it in that Ask Greg thingy. If you think I need to compile any images together, Iā€™d be more than happy to do that.

@LegoDetective
@Wolk
@Eljay
@Kodiak
@toaskello
@Calm_Hawk

As well as anyone Iā€™ve missed (245+ comments is a lot to keep track of)

4 Likes

Guess Iā€™ll throw in my two cents:

I feel it should be short and concise, but also very clear on what we know and what we donā€™t. You have shown proof that youā€™re a contest winner and we should clearly state that. The only question is whether this model is the specific contest winner that became Phantom or whether itā€™s one of the other two. I think itā€™s good to include the entry photos and the original essay as attachments/links in case it jogs his memory, but not in the body of the question to keep it shorter.

I think Jerminatorā€™s writeup is a good start, but Iā€™d remove the uncertain language and cut to the point; we should ask about Phantom in the first message because Gregā€™s a busy person and I donā€™t see any reason to delay asking the question we really want the answer to. I also believe heā€™s 99% likely to say he doesnā€™t remember at all, but itā€™s certainly worth a shot.

3 Likes

Yeah, as the essay is part of the entry, I definitely think you should send it alongside the photos.

3 Likes

Greg has stated he doesnā€™t think visually, so if he remembers anything, itā€™d probably be the essay.

6 Likes

So what do you guys think about something like

ā€œHello (Gregā€™s TTV username)
We believe we have found an Unseen Winner of the Dark Hunter Contest from 15 years ago.

Below is a link to his original submission pictures and his original submission essay as well as a signed Dark Hunters book.

We believe there is some merit to this story, but unfortunately he cannot find his papers signed by you stating that he is one of the winners. So we were wondering: Do you remember this entry? If you do recall this, is this Phantom?

:Insert Dropbox Link to pictures, essay, signed book, etc:ā€œ

Feel free to throw in some ideas

7 Likes

I quite like that. It might be best to show other contests that youā€™ve won, including letters, in order to show that Casey is legit.

Regardless, I think toaskello is the best person to ask Greg. Heā€™s proven himself to be non-partisan throughout the whole thing. Iā€™m still certain Greg will say something like ā€œthis is from over a decade ago I donā€™t remember lol,ā€ so whatever.

4 Likes

Iā€™m totally cool with that. You cool with that @toaskello ? I can put together a folder tonight and we can edit the text to include something about the Rahi contest too.

2 Likes

Oh, sure, if everyone else is alright with that Iā€™d be honored, lol.

I donā€™t feel thereā€™s any need to rush things since Greg isnā€™t currently answering questions, but Iā€™d be happy to post the question as soon as everyone agrees on the wording.

1 Like

Was reading through the ask Greg posts and found this on our very own forum, thought it might be pertinent to drop it here:

Of course, Phantom didnā€™t actually appear in the DH book, but was introduced later in the encyclopedia, so some degree of extra uncertainty is there. Still felt this was relevant, though.

6 Likes

Really though, can we get a TTV member to email Greg about this once we get our draft done? He hasnā€™t been active on the Ask Greg section for a while now, and I think ā€œLong lost canon Bionicle characterā€ is more then worth TTV involvement

1 Like

Yeah, the last post he made was back in March.

The extremely optimistic side of me says itā€™s because heā€™s trying to distance himself from the Bionicle community while heā€™s developing Bionicle G3.
Though, the pessimistic side of me says itā€™s because heā€™s trying to distance himself from the Bionicle community.

5 Likes

with Faber

5 Likes

Since Greg hasnā€™t visited the site since March, his absence it more likely due to the pandemic if anything. As for why covid prevents him from posting on a fansite, I donā€™t know, but the timing lines up.

I hope Phantom gets canonized, but keep in mind the Dark Hunter contest was a decade and a half ago. He may feel he is unable to officially confirm it.

2 Likes

Wait he visited in March?

Thatā€™s when he agreed to the contests.

1 Like