Unconfirmed Phantom Images

Yes. That’s the way I see it, at least.

Well, I put the (?) there because we don’t have Greg’s approval. Were it up to me, this would be canon, as I agree, it was approved 14 years ago. Asking Greg would be helpful though as it would settle any legitimate doubt from anyone.

If the BS01 staff (who I have yet to see respond to this) is fine with putting this front and center on the page, then so am I. Until then…

1 Like

Note the question mark next to the link. I am agreeing with the point that we are only discussing the original images, not that those images are definitively, fully canon.

Meanwhile, I’m interested in the fact that the model has a rhotuka launcher, and wondering what his rhotuka does.

7 Likes

Thank you for a normal comment, the original (and 100% canon) images show him with a ripcord and everything, my guess is that he was mutated with a trace of hordika venom

What’s the issue with putting things that are dubiously canon but still obviously very wiki-worthy (like the Phantom moc and the Miserix remake) in the Gallery pages with notes about being dubiously canon?

1 Like

miserix remaster is 100% different than original phantom - miserix remaster is a new version of a canon moc with canonicity in mind by the original builder. Phantom is a moc canonized by greg that they legally couldn’t show images of without the model in hand, still a great idea for miserix tho

The problem is : where do you draw the line of what is considered “worthy”?

Obviously the Phantom entry is worthy or at least a mention, since it won the Dark Hunter contest.

The Miserix remaster is questionable, since it was done outside of the context of any official Lego event. Maybe it gets bonus point by being from the original creator?

But if I make a remaster of Makuta Krika, is that worthy of being on BS01 as a non-canon mention? Obviously not.

Where do you draw the line?

2 Likes

I don’t think so, since we know artificial launchers exist, and he has it on his arm, not his torso.

1 Like

Wow, neat to find this! Since we now know that Phantom’s designer is the same winner as the Furnace Salamander, I can’t help but wonder if that’s the reason why Phantom didn’t get in the Dark Hunters Guide? As in, Lego not wanting people winning more than one contest. Don’t know the veracity of that though.

Personally, I’d hesitate at calling the MOC full-on canon since it never appeared in an official source, but I’m certainly fine with it being in the trivia section as-is (and before anyone mentions it, I always been kinda sus on the Tunnel Stalker having its own image as well. That whole situation just gives me bad vibes as to how it was canonized).

Actually, we’re kinda in the same situation with the Rock Lion. Someone posted on Brickshelf their MOC that won the competition, but they never sent it in. I’m trying to find it at present, and when I do I’ll update this post, but as I recall the creator was pretty certain that it was meant to be the rock lion. I also recall seeing a lobster-like rahi that won the contest, and if I find that too I’ll post it as well, although I don’t think that one has a corresponding “canon” counterpart.

Update 1: found the lobster

Update 2: Might’ve jumped the gun a little on this one. Found the post I was thinking of, but nowhere does the builder actually post proof that their MOC won the competition. So as-is, take this with a grain of salt. Supposed “Rock Lion”

Update 3: Yeah, forget the Rock Lion part. Like @LegoDetective said, this is labelled as “Mantas Tamer,” so in all likelihood this was never the Rock Lion. I remember reading a post ages ago (probably on BZP about a decade ago) that said this might’ve been the Rock Lion, and that’s where I got my info from. So yeah, my bad.

4 Likes

We don’t know about miserix is. the line is that miserix was a recreation by the original creator, another point I’ve blatantly stated and emphasized many times. It’s nothing like a krika revamp.
If you truly believe that phantom original pics are canon, simply stop discussing this. everyone has a problem with everything you have said

3 Likes

It was because the creator was unable to send the physical model to Lego in time for it to be professionally photographed for the book.

I think there was a mailing error.

I don’t. There is evidence both ways. There are two things that would make me believe that the original Phantom pictures are fully canon:

1- A new statement from Greg saying that the model is canon.

2- An old statement from Greg officially linking the name “Phantom” to the winning MOC

You think? no, you KNOW there’s a mailing error. I told you, original creator told you. Book isn’t all canon. Firedracax and primal were assembled wrong by lego, those builds aren’t canon. The book means nothing. Miserix’s was onyl featured in a lego magazine, not “official media” so does that make miserix totally un-canon? no! also, miserix and EVERY OTHER CONTEST MODEL past 05 were photographed by creators, and lego chose to use one pic.

1 Like

You didn’t design Krika and contribute to the canon. I think that’s where the line is.

4 Likes

If it’s information that recontextualizes or adds to the history of a character, set, or design, it’s noteworthy.

Being an updated version of the character by the original designer is pretty significant.

Wait…we’ve had images of the Rock Lion all this time? This is getting better and better.

There really isn’t.

4 Likes

Sure. If the community agrees that that’s where the line is, then fine.

@LegoDetective

A magazine is canon material.

Phantom’s appearance has never been shown in official media. That is evidence that the images are not canon.

See, I tried bringing uo the lobster (yari) to jerminator yesterday, but he ignored me 3 times. It’s a moc which won, greg had pics, but it wasn’t canonized. I have no idea why phantom having pics, not shown, yet still being canon since greg created phantom from the moc.

Canon’s what ya make of it, and this passes the smell test for me.

2 Likes

Greg legally couldn’t show it.

Miserix remaster is 100% non-canon.

The model was canonized, by Greg/leGO. That doesn’t give the creator power to add whatever they want to canon.

If someone can convince Greg to canonize the remaster, then fine. But right now, it is not canon.

6 Likes