Unconfirmed Phantom Images

That’s not evidence, that’s just a legal technicality. It has no bearing on canon. I mean, some canon weapons and objects were never shown in media. Krakua wasn’t.

4 Likes

Link me to that rock lion please. also, shannara won the DH and rahi contest - spiny stone ape and guardian. There was an error with casey shipping his model

1 Like

That one is mantas tamer. non canon like yari.

Alright. Let me address the lobster.

The Yari is not canon because neither the model or the name were ever used in canon.

For Phantom, his name was used, but his appearance was not. However, as you mentioned, Phantom has been described, and his description matches the MOC. So: Was the winning MOC officially assigned to the character of Phantom, or did Greg merely using the MOC for inspiration when describing the character?

In the former case, these images are fully canon. In the latter case, they are not.

4 Likes

according to you, miserix and krakua are non canon. ok then!

Edit: every single DH and Rahi was a moc without much story, and greg gave them a name and story. Phantom didn’t exist before casey’s moc won the contest

1 Like

What.

Miserix and Krakua are totally canon. They were featured in those magazines.

yeah, and phantom was in the encyclopedia. they would have shown images but they legally couldn’t.

You’re wrong on every account

Edit: another thing, greg said in a thread that images of phantom exist but he can’t show them legally, and that they were destroyed.

So, he recognizes the existence of phantom’s photos, and as such the model is as canon as every other contest model

2 Likes

I’d just send all of them Greg and add each onto BS01 or any other fan wiki, probably in the trivia section. There’s no need for anyone to overreact or yet again muddy the waters.

1 Like

That’s good enough for me. That is proof that Greg officially linked The Unseen Winner to the character of Phantom.

The images are fully canon.

Are you able to link to that thread?

This is every relevant link I could find, originally compiled by Skello.

3 Likes

The Miserix Revamp has no reason to be canon, no matter if it’s the original creator or not. It’s still a revamp - not the model that was canonized. Same as if MisterN was to redraw Helryx now, that redrawing would not be canon, and rather irrelevant to mention on BS01. The BS01 article is not for following the creator’s career.

No, the post was mistaken.

Actually, according to this post the story came from the creator, not from Greg. With the entries, the MOCists had to send in an essay on their creation. This is why we can fully blame Krakua for the Mask of Telepathy and the element of Sonics, they were chosen by the creator.

4 Likes

I don’t think anyone’s arguing that it is, just that it’s noteworthy trivia.

If that’s the case, that only strengthens the case that this model is canon.

4 Likes

I say we make everyone unhappy by decanonizing Phantom entirely.

4 Likes

I would like to apologize for wasting everyone’s time with this.

After seeing this quote:

, it should have clicked for me that this was proof of Greg recognizing The Unseen Winner as Phantom’s official appearance, whatever that Unseen Winner may look like.

I have spent the last 12-ish hours arguing that The Unseen Winner was never officially attached to the character of Phantom, but I see now that this was proven untrue by one of the first sources I looked at.

So yes. Greg has approved The Unseen Winner as official canon, and we now know that these images are what The Unseen Winner looked like, making them Phantom’s official appearance.

Sorry again for wasting time with these arguments. The Phantom page should feature one of the four original photos as the headline image.

4 Likes

Hey guys! So I’ll be honest and say that I didn’t read through all of this. I just want to say thank you to everyone who is championing for this and until I either find my letter or Greg weighs in, my word is all I have. I think that anyone questioning whether or not I truly won the contest based on my little evidence is entirely okay! I have no problem with anyone questioning something that isn’t factually backed up, even if that thing is about me. Whether I have the canon Phantom or not is a question I don’t even have the answer to. All I know is that I won a contest a decade and a half ago, but I didn’t make it to the book for some reason, assumably a mailing mishap. What I also know is that the description for Phantom matches somewhat well with my moc that I’ve kept for years. I remember in my essay writing about having protodermis tubes and that he had gliding capabilities. Is this Phantom? I think so, but only Greg has the answer.

19 Likes

Honestly, even if on some off-chance this was some elaborate hoax, I’d sooner take a fake than keep leaving the infobox empty. That said, I fail to believe it could be fake and I’m honestly just happy to finally have a physical representation for the character.

4 Likes

Here’s the page describing Phantom. It does mention limited flight capabilities:

Does anything else sound familiar on there?

The Increased strength and experimental protodermis were also something’s I had written in my essay, but he couldn’t turn invisible (maybe this is a way to work around him not having an appearance). My essay also never stated that he was a Matoran, but Greg has the power to pretty much write in any story details that he wants. When I won the Rahi Beasts contest, they took a lot of liberties with the backstory

6 Likes

Thank you so much for providing these pictures, it’s very much appreciated! If you could find and provide the original essays you wrote for either, that would be very helpful. I believe you mentioned before on reddit you weren’t able to find the papers for Phantom, but what about the Furnace Salamander?

2 Likes

I was happy to provide the pictures! Unfortunately I do not have any of the original essays (for either). I used my dad’s laptop which I doubt is even around anymore. I’ll call my parents and see if they do, but I think my luck will be slim.