Unpopular Opinions about LEGO

That’s unpopular? I mean, I get why 05 may be unpopular (the whole Vakama vs Matau thing), but 04?

4 Likes

Yeah, I’ve heard perspectives from a lot of YouTubers and other people who grew up with Bionicle that removing the mystery and intrigue behind the island of Mata Nui was a bad thing. I know that a few people also think that Makuta (Teridax) would have been better as a standalone entity, rather than a species. 04 and 05 also took away the tropical island aesthetic and replaced it with a mechanical city, so I know that some people don’t like that as well. And, lastly, this is pure speculation, but 2004 is when Bionicle started to morph into its own building system, as before, the Bionicle pieces were very compatible with Technic, but 04 introduced so many new pieces that weren’t easily connected to older systems.

Long story short - People think 04 and 05 weren’t really what made Bionicle what it was, and it’s also when things started to get complicated.

5 Likes

After much thinking, I concluded that I’d prefer Nuju’s personality in the Miramax trilogy over his canon iteration from the text-based media.

In the movies (LOM & WOS.), he felt like a much more sympathetic and unique character than his comic self, which just felt like to me a Kopaka 2.0. :man_shrugging:

6 Likes

Huh, I never noticed much difference in Nuju’s personality to be honest.

5 Likes

My comparison and overall conclusion are based on His portrayal in the G1 comics.
However, I also recall a scene from one of the books, Nuju made it abundantly clear that he respects Vakama but does not accept him as his leader. (Or at least, that’s how that part lives in my head.)
And one can easily interpret this as a parallel between him and the latter Toa of Ice’s personality IMO.

4 Likes

There’s a topic about this:

“They Call Me Nuju, The Great Non-Follower…”

5 Likes

IDK if this opinion is unpopular or not, but I’d prefer Exo Force’s original title, Battle-Peak, over the name we got.

IMO, it encapsulates the conflict and the plot much better than “Exo-Force” does plus, I also think it rolls better with the tongue.

10 Likes

the decision to make the Makuta a species was one of Bionicle’s dumbest

8 Likes

Unironically agreed here. Though Makuta does refer to his “brothers” in LOMN, I thought the whole species idea contradicted the idea of him being the brother of Mata Nui as Vakama said.

7 Likes

I forgot who said this but they should’ve said corrupted toa instead. Maybe all of them would’ve experienced the same kind of rejection as Makuta hence why they joined him. It makes perfect sense for Krika plus Gorast being green would’ve fixed the gender issues with the matoran

5 Likes

Yeah, that would’ve been a much better origin for the Phantoka/Mistika villains, even though I’ve never minded them being Makuta.

Speaking of the 2008 story: I would’ve switched Pohatu in the Phantoka wave with Gali and vice versa because they could’ve re-utilized the Toa Kaita with the adaptive armor style.

( I mean, if they bring back the Original Six, why not their combinations? :man_shrugging:)

5 Likes

I think Pohatu being part of the Phantoka keeps the teams more balanced because had he not been, the Mistika would have had two toa with rock based elements, while the Phantoka would have had none

But it would’ve been cool to see more combination models in the later years

4 Likes

it also would’ve made Gali much less powerful due to the lack of water or moisture up above, the only real source being the waterfall which was pretty much avoided the entire time

but it would be cool to see how the community would design masks and appearances for ‘Phantoka’ and ‘Mistika’ swaps of the characters that we never had

5 Likes

If Pohatu and Gali switched places then this also would’ve happened

11 Likes

no but that’s good tho

6 Likes

Same difference same sin

11 Likes

:yum:
:yawning_face:
:smirk:

5 Likes

Edit

Clouds tho

8 Likes

The waterfall disappeared when Voya Nui returned to its spot in the Southern Continent.

6 Likes

Ok, You two win!
I ignored both of these factors when I wrote my original post.

5 Likes