Unpopular Opinions about LEGO

Imagine if those resources were used to improve on MNOG’s design in new installments.

Every major arc in Bionicle could have gotten a MNOG style game.

9 Likes

Exactly my thoughts! A Metru Nui Online Game… :star_struck:

5 Likes

Well, there was a Voya Nui online game.

yeah, but that was neither canon nor enjoyable.

then Bionicle wouldn’t have been as multimedia- that was one of the selling points: “See your favourite toys in cool online games and in DVD movies!” so while i do somewhat agree with you saying they could’ve spent the resources elsewhere- i don’t think a Metru nui online game or something would be the way to go. Mnog is really only still mentioned because of the enormous nostalgia factor for many fans (not me since i got introduced to bonkle in '09, so maybe that explains why i don’t have much to say about the game.) And personally i see no real reason to play Mnog over any other early 2000’s point-and-click. Now i understand the limitations of technology back then made it seem more cool, and that i’m just a cringe zoomer who doesn’t know how good he’s got it, but i think that the way Lego handled Bionicle online and on DVD was pretty good. to paraphrase Mr O’hare:
“The more bionicle-related products on the shelves, the more bionicle fans will buy!”
i don’t really know where i was going with this post

5 Likes

They should’ve just done more of those cool commercials I always liked watching

3 Likes

That’s precisely why MNOG’s design could have benefited from more resources being focused on improving the flaws of MNOG and enhancing its strengths.

Also I think Lego multitasking Bionicle’s media in several different mediums prevented them from being exceptional at one or two of them. Quality over quantity.

Edit: I think it’s worth mentioning that a crucial part of what makes MNOG so nostalgic for fans is that it does a solid job at world building. We get to see the island of Mata-Nui and the 6 Matoran cultures expressed through visual and verbal storytelling, and Lego never really did anything like that again.

4 Likes

The story wasn’t, but the world and rahi were.

2 Likes

Except for maps 1-something or other. If you use the cheats, some areas exist that are clearly test levels for Voya Nui online game.

what’s to say that it would have been handled any better if it was a TV show instead?

1 Like

Some “action” shows from around the 2000s are now classics and well regarded, such as Star Wars; The Clone Wars or Avatar: The Last Airbender. I’m only speculating, as again, it hinged on TLG hiring good writers, nailing down a distinct art-style etc.

Episodes of a show could have been anywhere 15 to 30 minutes, it only takes a few episodes to exceed the run time of a direct to dvd movie, and thus cram in way more varied character development and world building. Simultaneously, the short run time of each episode forces writers not to just reskin existing films but rather take an episodic approach like seen in the Bohrok animations.

5 Likes

unpopular opinion: UCS sets are ugly

6 Likes

In what sense?

1 Like

In the ugly sense.

10 Likes

Here is my recent one:
IMO the flash-back years were not pointless or a complete waste of time (“winks”) as some people like to view them nowadays in the fandom.
They maybe could have been started a bit earlier (in late 2003 instead of '04, so we could have skipped the Bohrok Kal saga for good.) plus, the last half could’ve been handled a bit better NGL. (2005)
However, I’m still on the side that they were pretty neat years in G1.
They had some flaws, but overall they had plenty of merits to recognize.
:v:

4 Likes

Velika is a stupid character who is overpowered.

3 Likes

Should I? Why not… Bionicle oriented:

1. Metru build is grossly overrated and I am sick of the “characters being redesigned in Metru style” fetish.
  2. There is no such thing as an Inika build except for the original Inika. Everything that came after is a non-clone set mixed piece custom build, and anyone calling it Inika build is just looking for excuses to feed the hivemind paradigm.
  3. Some of the prototype ideas are way better than the final product.
  4. Bohrok Kal saga was one of the best story arcs and it is heavily underrated.
  5. Lego stickers are pure evil and should never had entered G2.
6 Likes

you’ve got some real unpopular opinions there, that’s for certain

3 Likes

I agree with the first two. I kinda thought people would be tired of the metru build after the hagah contest coming onto the Tuyet fanon contest but I guess not. I wouldn’t even call it the “inika build” because the piraka came first

2 Likes

I think it’s because it’s the only canister-style base build that has both proportionality and poseability.

How do you figure that? All those other sets use the exact same torso/hip combo and pull from the same pool of prefab limb parts.

How else would you define the Inika build?

8 Likes

Those first two are certainly controversial.

1. I agree the Metru build is overused, but not so overrated. It’s a great looking simple design, but people have abused it and taken away much of the creative options. A lot of them are too simple, and honestly unattractive.

2. I don’t see your point here at all. The Inika build is a broad category, and to me is not about the exact pieces and proportions, but the lack of innate function, instead optimizing articulation. If it was really a mixed piece build, then I think we’d see more gear functions, as we saw extremely few of those after 05. That to me is the separation point

4 Likes