Unpopular Opinions about LEGO

I can agree that the simple fact that Matoro dies isn’t hugely impactful; the more impactful part of that scene is how Matoro views his life and his friends as he’s dying, and how Hahli talks about it after.

(Honestly, Hahli’s talk with Kopeke about heroes is really good even outside of the context of Matoro’s death)

4 Likes

Huh.

I honestly think that’s one of the best Lego games there is. I love the story, and the character designs, and the gameplay mechanics, and just how many DC characters they crammed in.

Though that leads to an unpopular opinion I have: the people who swear TCS/Indy Original Adventures/Lego Batman 1 are the best Lego games are blinded by nostalgia.

4 Likes

most bionicle sets are just plain bad fo one reason or another.

4 Likes

Lego abandoning the copper they introduced back in the Hands of Time wave of Ninjago is a great mistake.

IDK about you, but I very much liked that color, as I thought it fit in nicely between the other flat & pearl metallic colors we already had.

It could’ve been looked so well on many things, like various details on robots/mechs, or They’d just used on Minifigure weapons and gear.

5 Likes

its only the second time they did that

2 Likes

Everything has some downside, even if it’s only a minor annoyance.

3 Likes

Sorry for the late reply, but I’ve been busy with a few things lately.

I mean, yeah, I know, but to Me, at least, the 2017 copper is more appealing than the other one from 2006. (If I recall correctly, it was the first of the two that appeared.)

3 Likes

I meant the copper masks of victory

3 Likes

-Dreamzzz is a flawed but overall decent theme so far.
The sets are pretty good, especially the 2024 summer wave, which looks promising from a design and building perspective.
The TV show is pretty lackluster, though. (It suffers from mostly the same issues as most other Lego animated programs had in the past: Forced humor, superficial characters, shallow story, etc.)

-If Bonkle ever returns, it should prioritize getting newcomers and younger fans aboard, instead of pandering through nostalgia to G1-G2 fans.
(OFC, That doesn’t mean it can’t or shouldn’t appeal to older fans via easter eggs and whatnot, but it must cater to newer audiences first and foremost.)

-The idea and concept of CCBS as a whole, was way better than the actual building system itself.
(It was a massive improvement over the G1/Inika systems, but overall, it was restricted too much to reach its true potential. It fell short of what ideally it could have been if Lego hadn’t played too safe.)

8 Likes

I actually share all these views. Dreamzzz isn’t fully completed yet, in my opinion, but the sets are interesting and unlike anything we’ve seen before. Bionicle G2 failed likely because Hero Factory kids were upset with something unfamiliar and Bionicle fans were upset with a discontinuation of the original story. CCBS needed more armor add-ons for the shells and it needed more ways to connect to itself and with other systems (Witch Doctor and Evo XL Machine are imperfect sets but are still good examples of how to merge CCBS with technic).

9 Likes

And I am with you on all of these, too! :+1:

4 Likes

What do you mean by this? I agree that a Bionicle reboot needs to be more than just nostalgia-bait callbacks, and getting new fans onboard is crucial for the survival of the theme, but the theme still needs to be centered around existing Bionicle content; if you aren’t going to build on the current Bionicle lore, even with an unrelated story, what’s the point of making a Bionicle reboot?

I think that was part of the problem with G2: it almost felt like a brand-new theme with some Bionicle words on top (the other part is what you mentioned, that very little was done to bring in new fans).

4 Likes

I’m sorry, but I respectfully disagree with you here.

The version(s) of Bionicle we’ve grown up and fond of in those days are gone for good (obviously.), but so are the methods of TLG that led to their creation(s).

If they ever make a G3, they must focus on drawing a broader range of consumer bases into it to ensure it will be a good investment.

And the best way to do that is if they’re trying out new things which can be developed and fleshed out without worrying about what came before.

For the record, the story and setting of 2009 are a great example of how to reboot Bionicle, IMO.

Why it shouldn’t, though?

Again, the Bara Magna saga demonstrated that you can make an engaging story without relying on pre-established characters, locations, etc.

If anything, the many reboots of Transformers, TMNT, and alike have proved over their forty + years run that a franchise can spawn so many iterations, while apart from some familiar elements, they share so little.

IMO, at this point, what Bionicle needs to have for a possible return is not simply another reboot but a complete revision.

4 Likes

And it’s for this exact reason I hope Lego never reboots Bionicle again. Not to say everything about G1 Bionicle was perfect, but what it did well required a version of Lego that no longer exists today. Not to mention we definitely don’t need more endless revisions of pre-established franchises in this world.

5 Likes

Agreed. Ninjago is a prime example of what “endless revisions” does to a theme. It started in 2011 as a theme centered on ninja defending a mostly rural world from evil skeleton armies lead by an evil warlord. Then in 2012, it was changed to anime-style ninja who now have high-tech machines to help them Power-Ranger style. After that, we got the 2014 Nindroid wave, where they went full-on with the high-tech upgrades (including fully leaning into the “Zane is a robot” plot). Then they continued with the Power Rangers styled plots until the reboot for the Lego Ninjago movie, where they basically rebooted the universe in order to reuse Garmadon as the villain for either a third or fourth time. After that, the story became a Marvel-style multiversal adventure, with yet more vehicle-based sets and more and more “convenient” revelations about characters (mostly retcons to explain why every character went back to a very kid-friendly characterization after the reboot; for instance Cole no longer being half-ghost, Lloyd being basically a kid with superpowers, Kai and Nya no longer being blacksmiths…).

The original sets, while many focused on vehicles, mostly relegated vehicles to the villains, making a good effort at giving the enemy an apparent advantage in the plot (until the heroes find their elemental dragon allies, the main plot of the pilot episodes of the show). This was mirrored in the show itself (and related promotional material), with the heroes constantly being at odds with their lack of teamwork and lack of power in fighting a unified enemy. However, as the sets began giving them more and more firepower (sometimes literally), the enemies slowly became less and less of an actual threat in the plot, instead often being more of a “villain of the week” where they have a poorly planned plot to defeat the heroes that is resolved within a single short story or episode. Many of the villains also went from being actual threats in the story to being comedic villains, being played for constant laughs and generally lacking any truly villainous moments. There was also a massive overrealiance on major enemies like Garmadon, to the point that he was resurrected at least three times in the show (and was defeated even more). All this led to the writing for the theme in general feeling weak after several years, as the plot was repetitive and lacked interest beyond “who are the new snake/elemental/zombie/robot guys and what weapons are needed to kill them for a year”, and of course promoting the new mech, tank, and jet sets.

Apologies for the long reply. I should probably put this in another topic, tbh.

6 Likes

I agree that Bara Magna is a good example of a Bionicle “reboot”. However, this reboot doesn’t really agree with what you said about starting fresh: even before Journey’s End, there were clear ties between Bara Manga and the Matoran Universe.

Just to be clear, I’m not saying that a hypothetical G3 has to be a direct continuation of G1 lore. While I would personally prefer that, there’s still a bunch of room to tell a fresh story withing the same universe, just like Bara Magna. However, if your story is going to feature entirely new characters in an entirely new world with an entirely new threat, why not just make an entirely new franchise?

These seems to contradict what you said above; even if those reboots take place in different universes with different plots, they still rely entirely on pre-established characters and concepts; no one’s going to watch a TMNT reboot that takes place in a universe where the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles don’t exist.

3 Likes

Most, if not all of these, (ok, maybe Beast Wars/Machines is an exception) rely heavily on the same main characters in every continuity. Optimus Prime, Unicron, Megatron, Starscream, etc., are in every show and comic and movie series. Even in their reboots, the plot and characters don’t change. It’s always the Transformers fighting on Earth disguised as vehicles or machines. Any changes to the story are mostly window dressing.

3 Likes

THIS. So much this. I’d even argue that this applies to all the Toa Mistika masks.

6 Likes

NGL, I must admit that it was not the best example I could’ve come up with. :face_with_diagonal_mouth:
However, with all this in mind, Bionicle is a very different brand despite a fair bit of similarities it shares with TF or TMNT.

Throughout its last three-quarters, G1 gradually shifted in themes and aesthetics that became almost unrecognizable from what it used to be in 2001 to 2003.
IMO, if G3 had a completely new setting, premise, and characters, it wouldn’t necessarily turn it into a whole new theme.

True that, my example wasn’t the best.

However, as I replied to DuneToa, Bionicle is a very different line compared to TF or TMNT because it already underwent so many changes in its identity until 2010. It could be a collection of stand-alone stories set in separate universes with different casts of characters while sharing common elements, like elemental tribes, robotic creatures, and heroes with supernatural powers.

Basically, what Nick on Planet Ripple envisioned in his Lego rewind series’ Bonkle episode:

5 Likes

the toa mata and toa Nuva are iconic, but I hate them both equally.

2 Likes