Unpopular Opinions about LEGO

Hating the Toa Mata?

burn the heretic

5 Likes

I hate all the sets actually, with the exception of… no all of them have some issue with them, name your perfect set and I will tell you problems it has

1 Like

Any set or one of the Toa Mata/Nuva?

2 Likes

any set

1 Like

That’s definitely an unpopular opinion

Although it does make me wonder why you came to a Bionicle forum if you don’t like the theme :thinking:

4 Likes

I like the theme, but the sets don’t have the nostalgia that others have so the sets all look just okay and I’m a perfectionist when it comes to this sort of thing

1 Like

show me what you got

3 Likes

any bionicle set
the lines on the parts make the images incoherent and the red baseplate doesn’t match with the white background of the tiles

1 Like

picky eater

6937-1

You asked for it

4 Likes

This is getting a bit off topic I feel

I recently acquired some manas parts, two controllers and a motor base, all of which work
Might try rebuilding one of the manas with the parts I have :thinking:

2 Likes

how is that any more on topic?

the part desgin on the bionicle mini figs is awful. enough said

1 Like

From the multiple posts in this topic about the manas. I had thought I sent a post talking about how much I liked them when they first came out, although I never had the chance to buy them, but evidently I misremembered since no such post exists.

so I’ll make one now :triumph:

The Manas were a really cool concept that LEGO should have done more sets in the same fashion as. Having remote-controlled Bionicle models was a novel idea for the time, and the integration of the motor brick was pretty genius. Don’t know how unpopular of an opinion that is, but there ya go :sunglasses:

Hardly enough. The hands and arms are some of the most useful pieces LEGO has ever made, the minifig Piraka spine has appeared in tons of sets since its introduction, and the prior Bionicle minifigures literally couldn’t move at all.

I can understand having gripes about a set that contains two minifigures and nothing else, but “parts suck, moving on” doesn’t feel like a very legitimate complaint. It might be more time-efficient for everyone involved if you listed what LEGO sets you do like, because this comes off as overly negative.

9 Likes

Bionicle is an inherently limiting art medium, so most sets have small imperfections, but I think they also do a lot of things right

5 Likes

Now to return to your regularly scheduled unpopular opinions…

I really like the 2006 minifigure designs. I recognize they aren’t perfect and some are a bit strange, but I think they’re pretty darn good for what Lego had at the time. The fact that we got printing on them and articulation (albeit limited) is pretty rad. The legs, even though they lack knees and hips like regular minifigures, look really good and closely resemble something from Bionicle.

I also like the weapons they used in this set specifically as compared to most of the other 06 weapons. They feel different but still natural for Bionicle and work for this scale in particular - it feels like a first encounter between the adversaries or maybe something in the Piraka Stronghold, where Kongu and Thok are bashing each other with whatever they can find.

Also, if I recall correctly, this set was not a regular retail set - as the “name” implies, it was a giveaway, presumably at a competition. I bet some kid thought they were the coolest things ever… “I like Bionicle but I want them to talk to my Lego City guys… HOLD UP. I can get BIONICLE MINIFIGURES?!”

Ghid you aren’t controversial enough :pensive:

I wish I could get my hands on a copy of the Manas or even just the parts necessary to build them… unfortunately the Lego resale market isn’t too kind at the moment.

At one point, in an effort to get some sort of sense as to what more motorized Bionicle would look like, I built a Power Functions Bionicle tank. And, not to toot my own horn, the thing was amazing. The build was relatively basic and I didn’t deem it worthy of pictures, but the concept was amazing - I built it in the style of the 09 vehicle sets, with the vehicle being able to seat a pilot that could be interchanged for any other Bionicle character of similar size. It even had Mazeka’s turret Zamor integrated so I could terrorize cats shoot targets.

Motorized Lego is always cool… and who knows, maybe if a constraction line comes back we’ll see more. One problem, though: modern Lego motorization is achieved through app-controlled Powered Up parts. I hate Powered Up. I bought an RC buggy that required the app to run at all (barring the programmable app) but the app’s controls were so crappy that I just took the batteries out of the buggy and used it as a display piece.

8 Likes

I’m sorry I’ll try harder :disappointed:

LEGO Jack Stone was a disappointment on all fronts and should never have existed; the theme accomplished nothing and died with a whimper, being a waste of time for everyone involved and Jack Stone personally ran over my 2 month old son who I let romp across the freeway but it’s jack stone’s fault

7 Likes

Jack Stone once put me in a big grocery bag and swung me around over his head like a biblical-era sling and then hurled me into the side of a bus

4 Likes

guys are you trying to bait me

4 Likes

It’s alright Bioman I will buy all the Jack Stone sets you tell me to please don’t fuse my soul to Jack Stone minifigures I beg of you please don’t do it

It gave some nice pieces that may have a use (Bioman reviewed a set with a small number of such pieces), but I’d agree. Looking through Bricklink Catalogues, I couldn’t see a single set that looked interesting, revolutionary, or notable in any manner except for some of the pirate ones (but those don’t count, I’m too biased for pirates).

5 Likes

Ok, got one for you:

4 Likes

I have both manas functioning, let me know if you have any questions about them

2 Likes