What were some terrible Bionicle set designs you hated?

But Nocturn! D:

And Maxilos!

5 Likes

The Skrall set from '09 was horrible IMO.

2 Likes

Bionicle 2010 the stars sets not one looked normal they didnt even look like matoran.

2 Likes

Yet they used the same build the Matoran-type characters had used for the last 2/3 years. I donā€™t see your point.

4 Likes

The Av-Matoran. Ridiculous price for very few pieces (half of which broke soon anyway) and said pieces were almost all absurdly overspecialized and difficult to use.

3 Likes

Agreed. If only CCBS had been around back then; those guys could have been done a lot better.

8 Likes

Iā€™m honestly not that fond of CCBS to begin with, and I agree wholeheartedly!

2 Likes

2005 Hordika (just nasty)
Anything that used the conventional 2006 build after that year (weakest build ever)
2002 and 2003 rehashes of the same ideas but now with SILVER!
Anything that used the Av-Matoran build must burn in the fires of Mangai.

3 Likes

I 'unno man, the Mahri really did a swell jobā€¦

Also the Hordika are GREAT! You take that back!

4 Likes

The irony in this is the fact that balljoints are much stronger than gears and axles, which flipped around a lot and are more prone to being ripped off by children.

5 Likes

The fact that the Inika limbs broke more often than the pre-2006 limbs says it all. I dont care, its a really bad build.

I donā€™t think itā€™s the build that made the pieces break, but I agree. The Inika system wasnā€™t great.

The plastic for those connector pieces was of a low quality, specially the lime ones. I had the misfortune of buying both Lewa and Av-Matoran who both had lime pieces only to have those pieces broke within a matter of 3 months. As oppose to the gray ones from 2004 which are still in one piece.

2 Likes

Very true, nearly all of my connectors/Av-Matoran limbs from 2008 have broken. However, Iā€™m not sure that falls under set design. Donā€™t get me wrong, there are plenty of reasons to hate the Inika build (overused in sets, no gear function, etc.). Iā€™m just not sure that plastic quality counts as a part of set design.

also

What DID you like? XD

7 Likes

Of course heā€™s an OG GEEWUN 01 Purist at itā€™s finest.

Oh, he also didnā€™t bring up the Metru Build. So yah, that I guess.

8 Likes

I honestly donā€™t really hate any set. Except Kazi! He was terrible. Hand head, no leg articulation and no useful pieces. The only real reason he is still on my shelf is for completion. >:(

The Toa Metru were probably LEGOā€™s finest when it comes to Toa builds.

2 Likes

I wouldnā€™t put those under ā€œset designā€ either. The gorilla arms on the other handā€¦

1 Like

2001 and 2004 had awesome builds.
Some of 2007 and 2008 sets were awesome (mainly the villains)
also liked the return of bright colors in 2009.

4 Likes