Who should have a canon contest?

This has been retconned back and forth so many times.

Greg has said that they look identical, but he has also said that they look very different.

I think the best way to do it would be some kind of middle ground: slightly different, but not too different.

Stuff like slightly different shaping, of changing the mouths to better match other Kanohi.

Another note is that Kongu’s Suletu’s asymmetry is due to it being in the ground. It is not a feature of the standard mask, nor is it a byproduct of the organic transformation. It is a feature unique to Kongu’s.

Of course, this is actually relevant, since Varian has an inorganic Calix, and Zaria and Orde could have inorganic versions of these masks.

1 Like

Wait since when has it been said what Orde’s kanohi was?

2 Likes

Orde and Zaria may have inorganic versions of the Inika masks.

They also may not.

2 Likes

I’d personally love to see Karzahni’s pre-mutated form made into a MOC. We already have the artwork for it, so it would work in reverse.

2 Likes

So make a MOC. No one is stopping you.

If we already have the Art, what’s the point of the contest? We already know what he looks like.

But maybe his original form? The black and gold one that the Inika met? That could be a contest, but I would put it way down there on the priority list.

2 Likes

I guess that’s true, but it would be cool to have an “official” one. I would like to see the black and gold version also.

3 Likes

I suppose that aquatic Brutaka could be cool, but Imagine him to look pretty similar to regular Brutaka.

Also, you shouldn’t double post.

1 Like

Come on we all know what aquatic Brutaka looks like

12 Likes

Indeed. I wish we could see more pictures of that fan-made Brutaka, so we could see what it looks like from all angles.

3 Likes

There is this fan film from a few years back that has a fairly good recreation of the mutated Brutaka at 1:53:00, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXT_69zTtMg&list=PLinHE4H7skeiIQs6VxVm-3JrFLyBTp3k1&index=46.

1 Like

I’d go with Kabrua, Johmak, and maybe Botar’s replacement if the first batch pans out.

A single Vorox, taller and stronger than the rest, approached the net.

Since there have been at least two Glatorian contests in the past and other major characters of TYQ are getting appearances, I don’t see any reason to exclude a tall Glatorian and pivotal character of TYQ. If Orde, Zaria, Chiara, and Marendar are getting canon appearances then so should Kabrua.

The Toa Mahri spun around to see an ebon-armored female standing just behind them. For a second, they thought she was a Vortixx, but a closer look revealed her to belong to a species they had never seen before. She carried a shield, but no weapon that they could see.

Before the Toa could question her further, the armored woman’s body shattered into a million crystalline fragments. The fragments scattered on the breeze. In moments, they were gone.

Other than ebony armor and probably wearing a helmet, she’s pretty much a blank slate.

One looked something like Botar, but obviously wasn’t.

She was flanked by a warrior in golden armor and a four-armed giant with two long horns coming out of his head.

Putting the four-armed giant aside, having a contest for Botar’s replacement would grant us a third titan but I don’t think TTV will host a contest for this character.

I don’t understand the appeal of even more Toa contests, especially given the inevitable Toa burnout caused by having so many. There’s already 11 Toa contests in comparison to one Dark Hunter, two titans, and Marendar.

If TTV finishes the first batch and the community decides to have continue having contests, I’d rather see characters with unique designs than what is basically filling in as many Toa pages as possible on Bionicle fan wikis.

3 Likes

I mean I like your reasoning, but seriously? Choosing Botar’s replacement over Kojol or Tridax?

3 Likes

Wait, isn’t he supposed to look identical to Botar? Can’t we just use Botar’s image?

1 Like

They’re described as looking similar to one another, but probably looked slightly different. I think he’d look to similar to Botar to warrant having a contest, and he’s also not a very important character. After all, he doesn’t even have a proper name.

I’m personally considering the hagah one canon contest slot, since their canon contests will take place at the same time.

I don’t think that toa contests will necessarily get tiresome. Tuyet, Nidhiki, and the Hagah will probably have nearly identical builds, but besides that the toa could be interpreted in really cool and unique ways. Helryx for example had a custom build. So long as the rest of the toa don’t use the same build, I say the more the merrier.

2 Likes

Since when were Nidhiki and Tuyet’s body types specified? We have confirmation that the hagah were metru builds but nothing is said about Nidhiki and Tuyet. They’re both from different islands so this leaves to interpretation for a custom build.

3 Likes

They builds haven’t been finalized, but I presume that most people are going to go for the Metru build, since Lhikan has a Metru build. Also in Nidikhi’s case, he was introduced in 2004, and Metru builds were common in the 2004-2005 era. It’s quite possible that they’ll have different builds, but most of the Tuyet/Nidhiki MOCs that I’ve seen so far have Metru builds.

1 Like

They are described as ‘similar’.

And remember: The Shadowed One, Ancient, Conjurer, and Tyrant are all the same species, with no mutations or anything (Besides Conjurer losing his tail to The Shadowed One).

So anything goes, really.

But, at the end of the day, I don’t think such a contest is actually necessary. At least not over top of characters like Kojol or Tridax.

3 Likes

Wait they’re all the same species? Visible confusion.

3 Likes

Actually, they are almost guaranteed to have vastly different builds, since every Toa Mangai came from a different corner of the universe.

2 Likes

The same is true for the toa Hagah.

BS01 says
“the individual members of Teridax’s Toa Hagah had been active as Toa for some time before they were merged into a team. They were selected by the Brotherhood of Makuta from pre-existing groups of Toa with origins from various areas of the Matoran Universe”

Another reason why I think that the Mangai should have the same build is because it would make them look more like official sets. Typically (in set form at least) all of the members of the team have either exactly the same build, or modified versions of the same build.

1 Like