Who should have a canon contest?

But then it would reduce the Tuyet and Nidhiki contests to “which accessories look prettier on Matau/ Nokama”.

1 Like

That’s kind of what the Hagah contests are gonna be like anyway, except the Hagah contests would have even less customization. For the Nidhiki and Tuyet Contests, the mask design, armour color/design, limb design/color, and to an extent, the weapons are open to interpretation.

However, I will say that through this short discussion, my opinion has changed a bit. I wouldn’t mind if Nidhiki and Tuyet have Metru builds or not. I definitely don’t want Orde, Chiara, Varian, and Zaria to have Metru builds, though.

(Also, this is a bit unrelated, but I’m not a fan of how Varian is described to have a rhotuka launching shield. I feel like it doesn’t fit well with her elbow mounted blades.)

1 Like

It wouldn’t really be a contest if nearly every entry was just the exact same with slight variations. I think we can do better than Matatu/ Nokama with different armor.

1 Like

Kojol and Tridax are more interesting but unless TTV throws away their criteria, I don’t think Kojol is going to cut it. I’m saying this as someone whose favorite Makuta is Kojol, to the point of which I even made a moc. Tridax would be rad but I can see shapeshifting being an issue with TTV.

Given that TSO, Conjurer, Ancient, and Tyrant are the same species I don’t think that would be an issue.

I’ve never seen this as realistic, especially since TTV already established that they’ll be held separately. It’ll just lead to predicaments such as “I like this Gaaki the most but man your Kualus sucks so no vote,” “do I pick my favorite Gaaki from X or my favorite Bomonga from Y,” or “I like this Pouks and Bomonga but I can’t stand that Gaaki.”

I disagree. Given the amount of controversy over the Toa Hagah and design consistency, Tuyet and Nidhiki will only be metru builds if exceptional mocs that happen to use the metru torso win. Given that I’m not invested in those two as much, I don’t care that Tuyet and Nidhiki probably won’t be metru builds and people should’ve expected this when they voted. If Nidhiki and Zaria happen to have metru builds, then cool. If Tuyet and Varian aren’t, then cool.

Idk, I simply can’t imagine having Toa contests over and over again not resulting in people getting tired. TTV has arranged it so that Lariska is a buffer during the ten remaining Toa contests. Not saying that even more characters should be added into the first batch though.

On the side, I’ve always found the “X and Y use Z torso piece therefore X and Y are the exact same” to be dismissive and ridiculous. By that logic, Tarix and Hahli are the same because both use blue inika torsos. Artakha and Tuma use the inika torso in dark grey. You can still add all sorts of nifty elements as long as the torso piece is used. Just because one has a custom or prefab design doesn’t automatically make their moc cooler.

2 Likes

What criteria are currently preventing a Kojol Contest?

That’s not how this works. Each Toa gets their own individual contest, they just get held at the same time.

1 Like

I don’t remember off the top off my head since it’s been so long but I thought TTV didn’t want to have a contest for Kojol, Tridax, and the winged female member. They seem to be doing pivotal characters who played or were to play arguably major roles in the stories they were featured in.

Kojol was a throwaway character who Mutran wrote about for a chapter or two and never appeared in person, unlike all the other characters that have contests. Greg named him because he thought it would be dumb if Mutran called Kojol “the Makuta of Artakha.”

When did I say that’s how TTV is going to be hold it? I was saying that’s what would happen if people were required to vote for four Toa Hagah mocs made by one person, which thankfully isn’t going to happen afaik.

1 Like

I guess I misinterpreted what you said. Someone said “The Hagah only take up one spot”, and you said that doesn’t work since people would be forced to choose between four Hagah from the same person. So it sounded like you were saying the Hagah contests would have to be run in series to avoid this problem.

Which, obviously, is also not the case. They will be held separately, but at the same time, as you said.

Also, I believe TTV has stated they would be open to putting Kojol on a second list.

1 Like

On the flip side of this, having them all separate raises the issue of the metallic colors being unbalanced: i.e. five silver hagah, or four gunmetal.

1 Like

Cool.

Honestly, I don’t care. There’s no guarantee that being required to vote for four mocs made by one person will solve that problem. I’m saying this as someone who has two silver and two gunmetal Toa Hagah, while the rest are various metallic colors.

1 Like

I say we avoid this problem by giving them all completely outlandish metallic colours.

2 Likes

You may not, but there are people that do care.

Well, it allows people to vote for the colour balance they like. If someone enters four gunmetal Toa hagah, people like me can not vote for that entry due to colour imbalance, while people like you can vote for it if you like the mocs. With four separate contests, there’s zero way to vote for color balance.

2 Likes

Even just holding the voting at separate times would help fix that; you could see the colours of some of the other Hagah before voting for the later ones, to help balance colours if you want.

Of course, how do you prioritize which Hagah gets voted on first? Also, this would extend the contest time by a bit. (The entry periods could still be at the same time for all of them, just do the voting separately.)

1 Like

Alright. Perhaps some of the things I said were a bit assuming/ridiculous. I agree with most of your points now.

2 Likes

It’s all good, and I didn’t mean to call you or your statements ridiculous. I’m just worried that people are going get burnt out before we reach Nidhiki and Varian. Maybe hosting Orde, Zaria, and Chiara at the same time but voted on separately would make it easier? It would still be an issue but perhaps one that’s easier to deal with. Rather than waiting about half a year to determine the appearance of them, it could be taken care in less than half that time. The contest topic is probably a better place to talk about it, so I’ll digress.

While I’d like to see a contest for Toa such as Dume, he’d probably just be a metru build he inspired Lhikan, Norik was supposed to be Toa Dume, and Toa burnout will probably come into play. If the amount of contests isn’t an issue in the end, then I’m sure enough people will be enthusiastic rather than tired of Toa. Otherwise, it comes off as adding more images to fan wikis when BS01 should revolve around canon, not the other way around.

3 Likes

Yes, but the difference is, they were given uniform armor.

I don’t think that is a good reason. These contests are to determine the most canon-accurate visual representation of characters, not sets.

Metru builds definately won’t be enforced for these characters. Actually I think it is much more possible there will be a rule preventing it.

2 Likes

If Botar’s replacement can make the cut then Kojol can definitely make it as well :stuck_out_tongue: Also I think you’re confusing Tridax with Triglax. Triglax is the shapeshifting Dark Hunter, Tridax is a Makuta (which are… also shapeshifters. Huh…)

1 Like

If Marendar gets an appearance, then all the previously mentioned characters should get it as well.

Marendar was meant to be a major character and a threat. Though I might be biased since I wanted to have Marendar competition since 2010 :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

But I was suprised Tridax and Kojol were not in the original roster.

edit: Sorry, I just now saw you already answered this when you answered to user Pakari

2 Likes

Toa Velika

Can We assume greg did not know about Velika=GB twist back then? He would be trying to take over the Kingdom and would most likely have assassinated many strong beings Like Axonn. Not to mention build a space ship for them.

@Kodiak

There’s already 11 Toa contests in comparison to one Dark Hunter, two titans, and Marendar

Marendar Prefers the term Absolute Unit. Not large, per se, but unstobable

1 Like

I’m not so sure he would. He would be interested in the survival of The Kingdom, for one of two reasons:

1: He still wanted to reform Spherus Magna, so he would try to keep The Kingdom alive on the off-chance that they could get back to Bara Magna and do… something.

2: If he thought that Mata Nui’s mission was dead, and Spherus Magna would never be reformed, then why would he try to kill The Kingdom? He wouldn’t be able to survive without it.

1 Like

I said he would want to take over the Kingdom and rule it as a dictator. I didn’t say he wanted to kill the kingdom, just those who would oppose him.

You made an interresting point. spherus magna is still broken. He might want to contact his bretherin and invent a plan B.

2 Likes