Yellow axles

Alright, but I do have one more question. How did you get a job at Lego?

I studied Industrial Design, while never quitting building with LEGO, until I managed to land an internship that resulted in a full-time job!

2 Likes

Thank you for answering us. My guess for K-2SO is that since it belongs to a licensed theme, Lego had to deviate from their building methods, to make the set look more accurate to the movie version. What do you think?

1 Like

That is my current suspicion as well, I just donā€™t want to send any guesses or unconfirmed info on to the internet.

2 Likes

We know that working under a licensed project can be more difficult than working under a free-styled project such as Bionicle where imagination gets much more space and freedom.

I think you should probably create an ā€˜ask toothdominoesā€™ thread to keep this one on-topic but thatā€™s something the staff members should decide on, and thatā€™s probably a bit of a minimodding on my part, Iā€™m sorry.

@Ekimu, the movie K-2SO doesnā€™t seem to feature any red bits on his forearms, so thatā€™s probably not the reason for the red pins being there.

1 Like

This is just my and @toothdominoesā€™s current suspicion but if you have any better explanation for it, then go ahead and share with us.

My guess is that the red axles are used for vertical connections whereas black axles are used for horizontal connections (concerning K2SO)

Like you pointed out before, this is probably not a great idea. If it is fine with the mods, I will continue doing what I do now, clarifying where I can.

Itā€™s a bit of a shame because there are some questions Iā€™d like to ask but they certainly donā€™t belong here.

1 Like

Anyway this is getting more and more off topic. If someone wants to create a topic for this, move these last posts to that.

Otherwise Iā€™m going to have to end discussion unrelated to the yellow pins here.

Interesting, thanks for clearing that up. It does make sense when you put it that way. Though I understand why LEGO does it, I still canā€™t totally agree with the reasoning myself :P. It wasnā€™t that difficult for me as a kid to tell the difference between a + shaped hole and an O shaped hole. Itā€™s kind of like those those block toys you give young toddlers to learn shapes :P.

1 Like

I understand where you are coming from, but imagine if a block had a different shape on either side and the box had multiple slots for each shape to go. Again, sometimes it goes a bit far, but this is how we ensure that anyone can build the models, regardless of whether it is their first or 50th model.

1 Like

I was wondring what lead to the creation of this new 3 long axle (left) when its basically the one on the right without the stud? It seems very unecessary to meā€¦

Also, how do you guys decide on what colour the axle should be?

1 Like

The stop on the cross axle on the left is the kind that fits within the recess of a technic hole, allowing you to build in the module right next to it. Using the one on the right would result in having a stud in the way.

6 Likes

Again, I understand where theyā€™re coming from. Itā€™s just it worked fine for me and so many other 5 year olds back in the day I never really saw the need for change. I still remember building the kikanalo on my fifth birthday, which was my first build of larger size. I never really had an issue differentiating the pins at all. The only issues I really ever had was figuring out how far down the longer beam pieces I needed to insert the pin because Iā€™d often lose count of the holes :P.

1 Like

Right, and as a fan coming into the company, I had the exact same mindset. However, the fact that you have stuck around for all these years is an indication that you are a highly involved user. Maybe it is just me, but I remember from my childhood how many of the Toa Mata, Nuva and Metru from my friends were built incorrectly. These were kids who were not as invested in the system as you and me. We want to make sure that no matter how invested you are, your model will preform like intended and is built like the models we did our extensive quality testing on, to prevent disappointment.

As far as counting goes, these days our models have been optimized in such a way that the user doesnā€™t need to count. Both in system and technic, we use spacer elements and seemingly useless elements in between necessary ones to make sure the critical ones are placed correctly.

2 Likes

I actually appreciate the color coding in principle, however I find the execution questionable, if I had been in charge I would have gone with less vibrant colors, so they would still be differentiated but be less of an eyesore to us afols.

A large part of recognizing a part is finding it in a pile of pieces. This is why bag (or collection of bags with the same number) is optimized to not have parts that look similar in the same color, and smaller ones often have bright colors that jump out at you. This is why, for example, some of the technic pieces on Storm Beastā€™s back are grey. Pieces that would look much better in black. These rules loosen up substantially when the age-mark of a set goes up.

8 Likes

Apart from being vibrant colors, can you say what else goes into determining what color an axle or pin should be? Being a Graphic Designer, Iā€™m curious to know how itā€™s selected. :grinning:

2 Likes