#2: Wind Thrall (Biowave Project)

#The Biowave Project: The Elemental Thralls

Hostile forces begin to stir on Valda Nui as powerful elemental creatures rise from the dark corners of the island, relentlessly and aggressively defending mysterious crystal obelisks.

#Part 2: Wind Thrall

_Concept art by @Scorpion_Strike and Kaibagal

A swarm of violent insects defend the deep jungles of Bo-Wahi. With a deadly stinger tail and wings capable of producing tree-toppling winds, they are indeed a forced to be reckoned with.

Story details will be highlighted in bold.

##Overview

The Elemental Thralls take inspiration from the most iconic design features of both generations of Bionicle, especially from those of the 2001 Rahi, using unique aesthetics and functions while also providing a more clean and cohesive aesthetic.

Element: Air
Theme: Wasp
Main Adversary: Tamaru
Approximate Parts Count: 135
Function: Flapping wings
Inspiration: Nui-Rama (theme), Gorast (head design), Nui-Jaga (legs)
Acknowledgements: Preliminary head design by @Gilahu

##Build

The Wind Thrall is the smallest Thrall (in size and parts count) and is built almost completely from basic Technic parts.

##Functions

The Wind Thrall features a single function: rapidly flapping wings.

Check out the video below to see the function in action:

Thumbnail by @Xeros610, intro music by @Cazapar

##Behind the Scenes

Click here for more behind the scenes images, including LDD models of the set.

##Thrall Archive

Follow the links to view the other Thralls:

05/07 - Storm Thrall
05/10 - Wind Thrall
05/14 - Sand Thrall
05/17 - Frost Thrall
05/21 - Lava Thrall
05/24 - Quake Thrall

##Next Time: The Sand Thrall

##More Sets

Follow the links to view the Biowave Project’s earlier sets:

##The Biowave Project - a Bionicle Community Initiative

The Biowave Project is a community initiative bringing talented members of the Bionicle community together to develop sets, art and narrative content for an expanded Generation 1 storyline.

##Announcing the Biowave Monthly MOC Programme

For this coming holiday period, the Biowave Project will be showcasing new sets at least once a month.
Next month will mark the return of the Toa Takha in their newest forms.

##Reclamation - a Bionicle Webcomic Series

The Biowave Project’s very own webcomic series, featuring characters from the project’s many sets, will also be arriving to the Boards this summer.
Keep an eye out for updates coming with the next series of sets.

###Rate This MOC

0 voters

###Favourite Thrall So Far?

• Storm Thrall
  • Wind Thrall
0 voters
54 Likes

The gear box seems to work as well as I expected. I have to say it again - great job there! It’s definitely the highlight of this MOC.

I forgot you hadn’t seen it :stuck_out_tongue:
I’ll send you all the function vids now

No need - it gives me something to be still excited for :wink:

That function is so gooood, it really creates the effect of insect wings well and its integrated into the build so seamlessly. Plus it has that early bionicle vibe to it which is always awesome to see

1 Like

Nice MOC! Beware my stinger tail!

2 Likes

i really like this little guy, although im not sure how i feel about his lack of feet. but either way he looks great

2001 nostalgia, is that you?

1 Like

This is one of the better bug Rahi I’ve seen designed. The shaping of the body and stinger tail goes wonderfully in liaison with the function, not looking too bulky or awkward. The head though is perhaps my favorite part of the MOCs design, looking effectively insectoid and sporting some nice shaping.

“Big”? You should see the later Thralls :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Is cute buggo

1 Like

Whoops! I meant to say bug.

Nifty. Feels very Slizer to me, probably because of the legs. Almost seems like a bug-Gukko. I’m interested in seeing the Sand Thrall, now.

When I first saw the Storm Thrall, I assumed that all of the Thralls would be long serpents. I am extremely happy to see this amount of variety.

2 Likes

Oh wow, a Giant Nope MOC, how lovely.

2 Likes

may i ask what you mean by this?

Bugs are usually called Nopes as in “nope not dealing whit this bugger cause it scares me to be even near it”.

2 Likes

I like this moc, I will have to modify something similar for my rahi I’m world-building lol, I had just thought of a similar gear box a few nights ago for a dragon fly, and forgot to build it until I came across this post!

Eventually I will find a platform to upload all my rahi on, besides brickshelf, maybe a FB page… But I’m getting ahead of myself.

1 Like