BIONICLE Canon Contest #3: Honor Guard, Part 2 (Art) + Part 1 Winners

I mean, they wouldn’t be called “Exo-Toa” if they weren’t meant to be used by Toa.

9 Likes

I’m confused a bit by this rule since I’ve been seeing discussion of giving Toa Kualus gunmetal gray armor or Toa Pouks metallic blue armor to have them match up better in terms of color cohesion.

Would changing either of their armor colors to better match up with the other be in violation of this rule or not?

Generally yes, but not for the Toa Hagah.

There were concerns before the contest began regarding the “cohesion” of the Toa Hagah as a team if they were all designed individually, so a special rule was made for this contest that allows the artists to change certain aspects of the winning MOCs (with the creator’s permission) to improve the balance of those aspects amongst the team.

6 Likes

We’re going to either have to discuss the canon implications of a mask which is not the official Faxon, but looks too close to it to be anything else, or allow the artists to at least change it to the standard one.

This mask seems to come from a popular trend of 3D modellers making non-aquatic versions of Toa Mahri masks, but taking creative liberties that go well beyond just taking off the scuba stuff. Whether entrants have a right to incidentally canonize these artistic liberties is discussion that’s going to come up before we do Nidhiki.

Personally I think the consent rule should be stretched so artists can at least use the canon Faxon. But I’d also support calling it an unknown mask that just happens to look a lot like Faxon but isn’t.

3 Likes

I agree, which is why this should be asked:

What exactly falls under stylization and would that include changing Bomonga’s mask to the official Faxon? This also applies to the Mask of Sensory Aptitude for Kualus with the varying models, such as Galva’s.

2 Likes

All of the winning models have given consent for their metallic color to be changed, so you’ll be fine changing them.

We already know what Nidhiki’s mask looks like. It looks just like Mazeka’s.

1 Like

I should probably draw some bionicles

7 Likes

do it!

1 Like

@Eljay @Mesonak We’re about half way through the entry period for the art contest with still no official word on the validity of Bomonga, and we need one sooner than later. If it’s not an issue, let us know. If it is, then temporarily delay the art contest until it is resolved. But letting this continue without a definitive answer could, at the very worst, entirely invalidate every art entry.

5 Likes

I think they would have said something by now if they cared, and frankly, it doesn’t actually matter. Just slightly mod the model to fit a rhotuka launcher, problem solved, everyone go the ■■■■ home. This is inconsequential and unimportant.

4 Likes

are you people absolutely bananas

7 Likes

Look the fact that they haven’t removed the entry is a self-evident proof that the entry is valid, what is wrong with you that you don’t understand that simple simple logic?

I swear some of the people on this forum…

7 Likes

literally 1984

4 Likes

Seeing as they’re the ones running the contest, I certainly hope they do care when one of the entries violates the rules and manages to slip by and even win. It is important because if Double’s Bomonga did indeed violate this rule, and it remains the winner, that is an unequal treatment of the rules since others were told to change exactly this.

Do you have actually something productive to add, or just want to insult?

Instead of immediately resorting to ad hominem, can anyone actually explain why Double’s Bomonga does not violate the rule of the shield having to be held in the hand?

5 Likes

I mean yeah it does violate the rule but at this point it’s way too late to do anything about it. As for why nothing was done earlier, well, that’s a whole different story…

1 Like

bomonga has no demarcation between his hand and his forearm, only his fingers - the whole metru torso could count as his hand

3 Likes

Even assuming the Metru torso counts as the hand, the shield is attached to the back of it, with all of the fingers free. That was what Meso meant by the watch analogy.

3 Likes

It’s ON his hand, not IN his hand! What a travesty! Oh, the huge manatee! Seriously, who cares? It’s such a minor detail with such an easy fix that it takes so much more energy to get up in arms over it than is worth it. It’s too late to do anything, so let it slide. It. Doesn’t. Matter.

Not unless you do, and thus far, you have not.

Have you considered that maybe TTV just changed their minds when the entry was submitted and didn’t really care enough to address it?

4 Likes

this is a clear example of the spirit of the law vs the letter of the law - the letter said “no attaching shields this way” but the spirit is “don’t put the shield on the shoulders or feet” - the whole goal is to get cool mocs, which Double’s clearly is, and if the rules have to be slightly ignored, that’s not a very big problem

the reason why ad hominem happened is that this board is now infamous for circular arguments with little substance over things that matter very little both in and out of context - which is why i hold to the idea that this is absolutely bananas

9 Likes