BIONICLE Canon Contest #3: Honor Guard

Finally, after months of exhausting deliberation, tiresome debate, and far too many posts for this kind of a thing, we’ve arrived. It’s time for the Toa Hagah to make their appearance known, years after their transformation back from Rahaga.

The goal here, should you choose to partake, is to create the remaining four Toa Hagah - Bomonga, Pouks, Kualus, Gaaki. This is far different than our usual contests, so let’s break down what this means.

The way this contest will be done is unique, and specific to the nature of these characters. A lot of these rules and guidelines pertaining to the Toa Hagah are not likely to be seen again. That being said, we will be hosting the entry and voting periods for the four Toa Hagah at the same time, with art entries and MOC entries competing against each other in a free-for-all.

Our goal here is to determine the best representations of these characters. As such, and after much debate, this route was the conclusion we came to. In addition, entrants will be allowed to enter as many or as few of the Toa Hagah as they wish. Want to enter all four? You’re all good. Only want to enter one, maybe just two? Totally fine as well. Regardless of how many you wish to enter, you must only make one (1) topic with all of your creations.

After the entry period ends, we will begin voting. The voting will be conducted as it was during the Artakha contest. Once the winners have been determined, a second portion of this contest will begin, where entrants will be tasked with drawing a group shot of the Toa Hagah, with the four unseen members being illustrated alongside Norik and Iruini for the first time. The winning illustration will be sent to Greg Farshtey for canonization.

As mentioned, the following guidelines took months to debate and decide, so let’s go over what you need to know. In order to enter a Toa Hagah:

Your entries MUST:

• Utilize the upper portion and lower portion of the Toa Metru torso build as it is intended. (I.e. Not as hips or shoulders, etc.) Torsos may be used upside down, i.e. Pohatu Mata/Nuva’s torso.
  • Have the primary color correspond with the respective Toa’s Rahaga.
  • Feature a shield. Art must render the specific Hagah Shield piece, and MOCs may opt for a custom shield. It must be either held in one hand or on a characters back.
  • Feature a single-ended spear (I.e. One blade/attachment on one end of the staff, like featured on Norik and Iruini). Cannot be substantially longer or shorter than the preexisting Hagah spears.
  • Must feature metallic armor. Armor may not be standard colors. (I.e. Mata Red, Metru blue, etc)
  • Have metallic armor placement that is in parity with the two preexisting Toa Hagah sets. This means the metallic armor is restricted to the feet, thighs, chest, shoulders, mask, shield, and spear tip. (On MOC entries, the mask may be a non-metallic color that will be corrected in the art.)
  • Only have a single shade of metallic armor.

Your entries MUST NOT:

Regarding Kanohi masks: Any mask may be used for MOC entries, however if any of them are Kanohi featured in the list below, they must be modified in the art. This list also serves as a list of masks that Art entries are not allowed to use:

Restricted Kanohi Masks

-Jutlin
-Avsa
-Mohtrek
-Crast
-Mutated Felnas
-Mutated Shelek
-Mask of Scavenging
-Kraahkan
-Avohkii
-Olisi
-Mask of Light and Shadow
-Tryna
-Ignika
-Vahi
-Mask of Creation (G1 and G2)
-Any Nuva Mask
-Mask of Aging
-Mask of Incomprehension
-Mask of Undeath
-Shapeshifted Mask of Mutation
-Any Glatorian or Agori helmet
-Hero Factory 2.0 and 3.0 helmets
-Mask of Ultimate Power (G2)

One final note about the masks: Entrants must also include in their topic if they are comfortable with the group art changing the Kanohi they display in their entries, as well as the metallic color they choose for armor and the spear tip. If entrants do not include the subject of consent in their topic, no consent is assumed. Consent/no consent will be reflected alongside the entry photos in the poll topics to let voters and future entrants for the final illustration know whether or not the mask, metallic color, or spear tip may be changed.

An example form you may copy/paste and include in your topic is as follows:

I give consent for my mask to be altered in the final group art if the artist chooses: (Yes/No)
I give consent for my metallic color choice to be altered in the final group art if the artist chooses: (Yes/No)
I give consent for my spear tip to be altered in the final group art if the artist chooses: (Yes/No)

In addition to these guidelines, the standard rules are also in effect:

MOC CONTEST RULES:

Expand for Rules

1. Entrants must be 13 years old or older.
1a. Entries may not be entered on behalf of someone younger than 13.

2. All entrants must abide by TTV Message Board rules and guidelines.
2a. If you are permanently banned during the course of the contest, your entry will be disqualified. Suspensions will be handled on a case-by-case basis.
2b. Any member found to have a duplicate account will be permanently banned.
2c. Entries must be submitted on behalf of the entry creator themselves. They may not be submitted on behalf of another person.

3. In order to enter, a new topic must be made for the creation with (Contest name) in the title. That topic must then be linked in a post in this topic.
3a. For any of these contests (with the exception of the Toa Hagah contest), only one entry may be entered per person.
3b. Winners of prior contests are allowed to enter additional contests.

4. A minimum of four (4) photos must be provided. Front, Side, Back, and an Entry Photo (The one you want used in the polls).
4a. In addition to the 4 photos, you must provided a minimum of one (1) breakdown photo of the MOC.
4b. Further breakdown photos must be provided upon staff request. If they aren’t provided within three (3) days of the request, the entry will be disqualified.
4c. Once your entry has been officially entered and accepted, no further changes can be made without staff approval.
4d. Photos can be hosted on Imgur, Flickr, Brickshelf, or uploaded to the MB.
4e. Your creation may not feature any contemporary war weapons. (I.e Tanks, fully automatic firearms, etc)

5. We encourage your entry to be recognizably within the BIONICLE world. Part of that involves the use of Constraction, however unlike past contests we will not enforce a ratio.
5a. Constraction includes BIONICLE (G1 and G2), Hero Factory, Galidor, Knights Kingdom II large figure pieces, Ben 10 large figure pieces, and all CCBS.

6. 3D printed pieces are allowed.
6a. 3D printed pieces are limited to masks and weapons, for a total allowance of four (4) 3D printed pieces.
6b. Only one (1) of the four (4) 3D printed pieces can be a mask.
6c. For any custom piece used, it must have one (1) point of compatibility with official LEGO pieces.
6d. At this time, the only 3D modelers who have expressly allowed the usage of their pieces are KingSidorak, Galva_, GX_05, KhingK, Vahki6 (for him, check this post), D-S-Creation-Forge.
6e. If an entry utilizes pieces from the aforementioned 3D modelers, they’ll need to provide a link to the free source for the piece. If one does not exist, the piece may not be used.
6f. If an entrant enters with a 3D piece they made themselves, they must provide a link to the 3D model file for free at the time of entry. If no link is included at the time of entry, and not included for three (3) days afterwards, the entry will be disqualified.
6g. By entering a 3D printed piece of their own creation, the entrant agrees that it will be freely available under a creative commons license for all time.

7. MOCs created in LDD and Stud.io are allowed, however they must abide by the same guidelines as physical MOCs in regards to 3D printed and custom models.
7a. Additionally, the LDD/Stud.io file for these creations must be posted along with the MOC, in similar fashion to custom pieces made by the entrant.

8. Rules on non-purism:
8a. Cut pieces and cut stickers are not allowed. This includes flex-tubes.
8b. Glued pieces and glued stickers are not allowed.
8c. Non-LEGO cloth, rubberbands, stickers, and strings are not allowed.
8d. Third-party or bootleg pieces not identical in mold to LEGO pieces (I.e: MegaBLOKS, bootleg constraction pieces) are not allowed.
8e. Painted pieces are allowed, however elaborate patterns/designs (I.E. Toa Uniter torso prints, etc) are not. Replicating dual-molded/marbled pieces is allowed.
8f. Dyed pieces are not allowed.
8g. Replicas of the above will fall under their category of replication. (I.e: If a resin mold is made of a cut-and-glued mask, it will be considered a cut-and-glued mask and will not be permitted for use in an entry.)
8h. Pieces that only exist in printed varieties that have had the printing removed or have been painted are not allowed. However, if the pieces are not unique and have been released non-printed in other colors, they may have the printing removed or may be painted over.
8i. Illegal connections are allowed, however we encourage individuals to not use those that will damage pieces in long or short term.
8j. Entries may be modified from their physical design with digital editing software, such as Photoshop or GIMP. However, the changes may only be the colors of the creation, and they must be in full parity with any official colors already featured on the MOC. Failure to meet full parity, and failure to correct it within three (3) days of staff request, will result in potential disqualification.
8k. Entries may also be placed onto a custom background through digital means, as long as the MOC is not altered aside from coloration. This may only be done to the entry image.

9. MOCs/Artwork created before this contest can be submitted, provided they abide by these rules/guidelines. However, the creations must be entered by the creator of said MOC/Art.
9a. To expand on the last sentence, entries must be entered by the creator themselves. Any MOC entered on behalf of another person, new or otherwise, will be disqualified until submitted by the creator them self.

10. We encourage MOCs representing canister-sized figures to attempt to adhere to the standard canister set size as of 2009, which would be 9 inches, or 22.9 centimeters. To stress, this is a guideline, it is not a rule. (Excluding the Toa Hagah Contest)

11. We reserve the right to disqualify, at any time, any entry that we have reason to believe has been entered in bad faith or in an attempt to disrupt the voting process, or any entry we have reason to believe may disrupt the voting process.

12. We have no rules against vote brigading. However, if any member or participant in either the MOC or Art portion of any of these contests, or an unrelated party who is voting in the Polling portion, is found to be offering compensation (i.e, money, artwork, prizes, etc) for votes, then their account will be suspended for the duration of said contest, their entry will be disqualified (if they entered), and their vote will be subtracted from the final tally. Repeated offenses will result in a permanent ban.

ART CONTEST RULES:

Expand for Rules

1. Entrants must be 13 years old or older.
1a. Entries may not be entered on behalf of someone younger than 13.

2. All entrants must abide by TTV Message Board rules and guidelines.
2a. If you are permanently banned during the course of the contest, your entry will be disqualified. Suspensions will be handled on a case-by-case basis.
2b. Any member found to have a duplicate account will be permanently banned.
2c. Entries must be submitted on behalf of the entry creator themselves. They may not be submitted on behalf of another person.

3. In order to enter, a new topic must be made for the creation with (Contest name) in the title. That topic must then be linked in a post in the official entry list topic made for the character in question.
3a. For any of these contests (with the exception of the Toa Hagah contest), only one entry may be entered per person.
3b. Winners of prior contests are allowed to enter additional contests.

4. A minimum of two (2) images must be provided. One of the mask, containing the front, side, and top view, and one of the winning MOC wearing it.
4a. All artwork must be in color. Not grey-scale.
4b. Once your entry has been officially entered and accepted, no further changes can be made without staff approval.
4c. Images can be hosted on Imgur, Flickr, Brickshelf, or uploaded to the MB.
4d. Your creation may not feature any contemporary war weapons. (I.e Tanks, fully automatic firearms, etc)
4e. Artwork cannot significantly modify the aesthetics of the original MOC, either by omission or addition, and must follow the color scheme of the original MOC as closely as possible. For example, additional limbs or significant color shifts would not be allowed.

5. We encourage your entry to be recognizably within the BIONICLE world. However, we have no restriction on art styles.
5a. While we accept any style, we do not permit any character artwork featuring any characters that appears too human. Examples of that would be a lack of technical/BIONICLE pieces or elements, or human faces on Kanohi.

6. 3D entries are allowed.
6a. Any entry using 3D must provide the model file at time of entry if they are designing a new mask.
6b. 3D entries must not be MOC recreations and renders using Stud.Io or LEGO Digital Designer. This is your interpretation, not a simple recreation.
6c. If the inspiration MOC uses a custom Mask or Weapon, you are allowed to either use those on the MOC or create your own.
6d. At this time, the only 3D modelers who have expressly allowed the usage of their pieces are KingSidorak, Galva_, GX_05, KhingK, Vahki6 (for him, check this post), D-S-Creation-Forge.
6e. If an entry utilizes pieces from the aforementioned 3D modelers, they’ll need to provide a link to the free source for the piece. If one does not exist, the piece may not be used.
6f. If an entrant enters with a 3D piece they made themselves, they must provide a link to the 3D model file for free at the time of entry. If no link is included at the time of entry, and not included for three (3) days afterwards, the entry will be disqualified.
6g. By entering a 3D printed piece of their own creation, the entrant agrees that it will be freely available under a creative commons license for all time.

7. Artwork created before this contest can be submitted, provided they abide by these rules/guidelines. However, the creations must be entered by the creator of said Art.
7a. To expand on the last sentence, entries must be entered by the creator themselves. Any artwork entered on behalf of another person, new or otherwise, will be disqualified until submitted by the creator them self.
7b. Any artwork found to be submitted that is determined to be a commission work made for this contest will be disqualified.

8. Entries are allowed to imitate the styles of prior BIONICLE artists. (I.e, Carlos D’anda, Randy Elliott, etc). However, please make it clear that the artwork is not actually by any particular prior BIONICLE artist.

9. Do not plagiarize.

10. Do not submit artwork featuring characters in inappropriate or suggestive poses. These will be disqualified.

11. We reserve the right to disqualify, at any time, any entry that we have reason to believe has been entered in bad faith or in an attempt to disrupt the voting process, or any entry we have reason to believe may disrupt the voting process.

12. We have no rules against vote brigading. However, if any member or participant in either the MOC or Art portion of any of these contests, or an unrelated party who is voting in the Polling portion, is found to be offering compensation (i.e, money, artwork, prizes, etc) for votes, then their account will be suspended for the duration of said contest, their entry will be disqualified (if they entered), and their vote will be subtracted from the final tally. Repeated offenses will result in a permanent ban.

And that, finally, is everything. Please be careful in looking over these rules. We’re optimistic for this to go well. We’re always looking for feedback and community input, and are willing to make modifications where they’re needed.

The entry period for this part of the contest begins today, May 14th, 2021, and will run until June 11th at 11:59 PM EST. Voting will begin soon after.

Thank you all for joining us, and let’s have a fun time! A civil time, too, please. We put a lot of hard work into trying to see these run smoothly, but so much of it is dependent on all of you. We’re all in this community together, so let’s try to make it a positive place.

Best of luck, and we look forward to seeing your entries!

46 Likes

BIONICLE Canon Contest #2 Honor Guard

Not to be a bother but there is a typo in the title, I do imagine this is the 3rd contest. Or I might’ve just knocked my head.

For the Size comparison, do you need to feature both Irunii and Whenua or is it up to your own discretion. I.e If I render my Hagah next to Irunii is that enough for a size comparison? Also if you’ve designed several Hagah may you have all of them in one size comparison?

3 Likes

We’ll say discretion for now, unless it gets to be an issue. You may have to do both upon staff request.

3 Likes

Ok, cool, how about my second question:

2 Likes

While I’m early, I will say this on behalf of anyone who wants to achieve a good-looking team with no oddities like identical masks, uneven colours, etc.:

Please strongly consider giving consent to change your design’s mask, spear AND metallic colour.

I get why people wouldn’t want this, but I and many others especially don’t want to be forced into having two Hagah with the same mask or spear. And at least some people would prefer it if there was some pattern in the colours of the Hagah (e.g. 2/2/2 gold/silver/gunmetal). We can’t leave this to chance.

6 Likes

Doritos. There’s your answer. Have fun.

3 Likes

It’s Hagah time boys

9 Likes

Another thing: does anyone know a good paint that matches flat gold and other official metallic colours? If so, post it here and on this topic.

As for silver, gunmetal and pearl gold, I can recommend these:

61wI2zXU2JL.AC_SY355

51mrc7KvaEL.AC_SY355
The silver one is called Humbrol Acrylic Paint No 11, though I think it comes in spray as well. It’s not the best match, but it does the job.

5 Likes

“Artist’s Loft Metallic Acrylic Paint, 4 oz. (Metallic Bronze)” is what I’ve been using for metru gold, Galva recommended it to me ages ago and it’s a perfect match.

Example on a toa of psionics I made a while back:

12 Likes

I don’t own an Iruini, how tall is he?

1 Like

good luck to everyone :grinning:

1 Like

Do you know where to buy it online? It’s not in stock on Amazon.

I hope winning MOCs of Toa Hagah will have the same poseability range of any other Toa with Metru build (a.ka. don’t have extra shoulder articulation like on @Minirigby 's MOC )

1 Like

I got it from amazon.ca about a year ago, I don’t know anywhere else for sure.

Is this an “if you enter more than 1, they must be submitted together as one topic”, or “you can do them together/separately - just don’t submit the same build twice between your topics”?

And if the former, will we be able to edit the topic to add the others if we finish them at a later date before the deadline, for the sake of keeping things together?
I ask this because no matter what, my Pouks will be the last of mine ready to be submitted, and Gaaki could take longer than the other 2 to finish, but I’d want to “lock in” my entries for Kualus and Bomonga as early as possible so that even if the others aren’t finished in time, I’ve still submitted the ones I’m happy with.

3 Likes

And so it begins! It’ll be really interesting to see how this one turns out. Looking forward to it all the same, not least of all because it will probably be the only one of these contests that I enter :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:. Also, whoever’s been making the thumbnails for these has been knocking them out of the park.

One question: would Kopaka Mata’s sword be considered too long for a spear tip? Looking at it in Stud.io, it’s about 2 studs longer than the Aqua Axe piece.

Slightly taller than Nokama and Nuju

What’s that in cm? Guess I should have been more specific lol :slight_smile:

Oh this is going to be fun.
To Bricklink!

2 Likes

May I post all entries on the same topic, or I must make separated one for each entry?

Also, fellow Stud.io MOCers, please consider trying this: SwampKryakwa's Colorpack v1.5

It’s little color tool by me that will be really important for you to use - Stud.io pearl colors both are inaccurate and not best in look, this must fix issue for you

@Tarkur Exactly 1 stud taller, actually (if we don’t count mask)

1 stud is 0.8 centimeter

Edited for Double Post - BioKnight

1 Like