Bionicle Redrawn #4 - The Shadowed One

" Respect is born from fear… obedience as well. And so fear must be restored in the hearts of those who would stand against us. "
— The Shadowed One

This is my rendition of TSO, the charismatic leader of the Dark Hunters.

I’ve tried to stick to his official design, so some bionicle pieces are still recognisable. You can still see a Metru foot and Rahkshi heads for his chest armour, the Nuhvok-Kal shields for shoulder armour are still kinda there and so on.

The main things that really needed changing were the character’s stature and tail. The third leg that the original model had was so… stupid, so I’ve turned it into a convincing tail.
As for the stature, such a proud being as TSO would probably stand up straight and directly, not crawl and crouch, as the set did. I mean, really, you couldn’t stand the model up straight because of that stupid third leg.

And TSO has four eyes now. It was a spontaneous decision, so I don’t have any explanation for it except “I think it looks cool”

Some additional pics

No-shadow One:

The Shadowless One:

This drawing is a part of my project called “Bionicle Redrawn”.
my goal with this project is to improve the designs of all the significant characters (who have canon appearances) from Bionicle story. You can find previous drawings here, here and here.

This is the list of characters I’ve got plans to draw in the future (it’ll be expanded every now and then):
1)Helryx, as requested by @N01InParticular
2)Vezon, as requested by @TheCobaltCorsair
3)The other Piraka (@Vile_Cephalopod’s request)
4)Toa Hordika (@Cordax’s request)
5)Brutaka (@MooCowsRock‘s request)
6)Roodaka and Sidorak (another MooCowsRocks’s request)
7)Matoran Nuparu (what!? one more request by MooCowsRock!?)
8)The other three Toa Nuva (Maybe later)
I will be uploading these on this site weekly. (Though, I’ll take a break this week, cos there’s another project I need to work on)

I am open to suggestions on what Bionicle characters I should draw in the future (these must be the characters who have already got canon appearances ), I will add them to my to-draw list and try to draw as soon as possible.

Thanks for viewing, tell me what you think!

24 Likes

I love the stylized approach you took to his design. He reminds a lot of Anubis.

4 Likes

Ooh, neat use of shadow, really gives him an air of importance.

3 Likes

I think it would be cool to see Lesovikk, he’s one if my favorite characters, and my other favorite, takanuva (not sure if he counts as a toa nuva or not)

3 Likes

The third leg is cool idea that was poorely realizated
Cool drawing. I really like the Protodermis staff, it is both elegant, reminds the original one and has cool pink orbs. Idea with eyes is neat. But legs are really too long, and pieces are hardly recognizable. Also, with that tail, he has kinda dinosaur look, which is… interesting.

1 Like

@TheMOCingbird thank you! The reference to an infamous Egyptian god of underworld was intentional.

@Racie02 Thanks, glad you like it!

@Lesnichiy Thank you!
I don’t have any bias towards third legs, but this kind of feature never really fitted TSO in my opinion.
His legs are so long because I intended them to be long. I wanted his proportions to be different from the human ones, that’s where the giant legs and long neck come from.

Well, dinosaurs were basically giant prehistorical reptiles, right? And The Shadowed One has always resembled a reptile, so it makes sense, I guess…

4 Likes

This is really neat! I like your style. I kind of figured the Shadowed One was, well, broader and beefier than that, but it still looks cool.

…Also now I just feel bad for suggesting all those characters, don’t feel obligated to draw every single one… I figured you’d just pick and choose if you felt like it. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Thank you!
Well, I have always imagined TSO to be quite slim, yet massive considering that he is twice as big as a Toa.

Nah, it’s all good, I really like all these ideas and I will draw them eventually!

1 Like

I like the Anubis inspiration a lot, it gives him a nice vibe. I have to agree that he looks quite a bit slimmer than I would have imagined, but it still looks nice.

1 Like

I don’t know why, maybe it’s just me, but I’m getting a distinctly feminine vibe for some reason…
But I really like your interpretation, changing the third leg to a tail was a great move. I really like how the positioning gives him a regal feel.

ooh… I’d love to see ancient done like this. He’s the same species as TSO, But beefier.

Varian would be really cool in this style as well. Any biomechanical character really.

1 Like