Deadly Shapeshifter: Baterra (Legendary Edition)

Better late than never… right?

Today I present the deadly shapeshifter of Bara Magna: The Baterra!
Imgur

MOC Showcase >

Instructions, Studio File, and B.L. XML >

< Previous MOC Next MOC >

So for this little guy I wanted to create an almost perfect replicate of the version of this character we see in the FaRotS comic. And I think he came out pretty good!
I also took some inspiration from the AOSR comic for some of the minor detail, mainly for the placement of some of the spiked parts.

One of main goals with this MOC was to make him as small as I could while still retaining all the detail from the comic, which ends up making him feel like a real set!

Overall I’m very happy with how this MOC came out, feels right at home next to my other 2009 MOCs so far.

Here’s where to get the helmet if you want to build this yourself.

Thank you for taking a look at my MOC.
Sincerely
Legend (TLR)

48 Likes

This looks simple but great, very set like.

2 Likes

I love how accurate it is to the comics, very good job!

3 Likes

This is exactly how I thought a set of the Baterra would look. Great job!
Also what’s the comparison like to the Bohrok, set wise?
“In their default form, Baterra are silver in color and roughly the height of a Bohrok.”

EDIT: Checked and apparently either the Baterra are canonically
SUPER short or the Bohrok are taller than the current sets we have.

4 Likes

Me likey! It seems quite accurate to the second comic panel, and just looks really cool

The ones in the comics could’ve shape-shifted to be taller to match their foes

1 Like

Holy Gadunka! I’ve only seen a few images of the Baterra from those comics but NEVER the one of Stronius destroying one! So that’s where you got the Agori body design from! I was wondering why you included that piece in your MOC! It’s perfect!

The authenticity and canonicity is on point, Legend. Very well done.

5 Likes

The way I see it is, if “canonically” toa mata and inika are the same size, the Baterra are just scaled to the inika build. And I like to think the bohrok limbs are representative of the bohrok having bent knees, so they’d be a bit taller if they stood up strait.
So in a way everything can check out.

3 Likes

@TLROsborne171 This.

I love this! it looks almost like it could have been an '09 set!

1 Like

As I already said in my comment below your video, nice MOC, very nice one. I’m still surprised that so few people, even the oldest fans, know or remember well the “Fall and rise of the Skrall” graphic novel. It is really well drawn, and we learn more about the Skrall (the reason of their migration to the south, their society system, Branar, etc…). The fact that we have to wait 2022 to have this recreation of the Baterra is still a mystery. Better late than never I guess.

Destiny can be bizarre sometimes, but I started working on a similar recreation too in December that looked very similar to yours, at some minor differences.

-I didn’t use the toa metru hips, because I’m not a big fan of left ball joints, but in second thought, it looks definitely better with.

-I painted the spike armor and the helmet in white to look as much as the model in the graphic novel, although the silver is supposed to be the standard color.

-The feet connection is different to look a little bit more accurate.

-I put the shoulder armor lower than you do to avoid pulling the piece when you raise the arm too much.

-Finally, I use a different piece to raise the spike armor on the hands.

I planned to publish it after I built it, but the day I finally receive all parts I missed, I discovered your Deviantart, and later your video. I guess you were faster than me. These are things that happen. Good job anyway.

5 Likes

This could have been a set. well done

2 Likes

Okay that is hilarious and uncanny how similar our builds are :laughing:!
Looking at the foot build on your Baterra, that does look more acurate, didn’t even see that! My only worry with that would be how much heel support the build has, then again your’s would be a bit shorter without the metru hips, lower centre of gravity and all that.
Still can’t get over how similar they are :laughing:

3 Likes

I modify it by adding the metru hips, and don’t worry, it remains stable. To enhance the model, it would be insteresting to see if the idea of creating a new agori body fused with metru hips that we can 3D print remain still good in term of aesthetic and stability

I know it is a pretty disturbing coincidence, but believe me, I was as surprised as you when I see your model. That said, when we think about this, the drawing style of the graphic novel is so good and accurate to the lego aesthetic that identify most of the parts and building techniques is pretty easy. Considering we have the same idea, it is not surprising that we obtain so similar results. I have to admit that the only part I had to really reflect on were the feet and the lower leg. It seems that the drawer hadn’t all references to do a proper drawing, so he did what he could. At least, it gave us a bit of liberty in our recreation.

3 Likes

Looks very accurate to the comics. Nice work.

3 Likes

A Bohrok set is approximately 10.3 cm tall, while the Tahu Mata set is approximately 16.6 cm tall (these number are fairly rough, since it is impossible to straighten the legs of either set).

In comparison, the Jaller Inika set is approximately 22.3 cm tall. If we scale these numbers, is means that a hypothetical Baterra set should be approximately 13.8 cm tall. Your model appears to be roughly 22 studs tall (give or take the mask), which is equivalent to 17.6 cm.

For a “perfect” scale, the model should be roughly 17-18 studs tall, but what you have now is probably close enough, especially given my measurement error, rounding error, and approximations, plus the fact that the Baterra are only “roughly” the height of a Bohrok. Finally, my Bohrok measurements were taken with the legs at perfect 90 degree angles; more natural posing would increase their height, and therefore that of the “perfect” Baterra scale.

The ones in the comics are the default forms:

1 Like