Gali GWP MOC Contest Entry: Krakua, Matoro Mahri, and MoL Takua

Yep, you know exactly what time it is.

SUBMISSION 1: KRAKUA

This here marks my first ever post here on TTV and my first public post of a full MOC in more than a hot minute, so I thought I’d give an old favorite Toa of Sonics a shot. It was definitely fun looking at how the GWP build could be reinvented under a limited parts selection while both keeping true to the look and feel of Krakua’s original design by dinojohn.

As simple as it came out, I had a blast keeping small nods to how the Brickmaster model was built and keeping those signature pieces in mind when translating it to this modern take. Enjoy!

krakua w3

SUBMISSION 2: MATORO MAHRI

Couldn’t help myself from wanting to give another personal favorite Toa design a go, and the thought of applying GWP Tahu’s pieces on other builds sprang into an entire Matoro Mahri as a result. Plus I couldn’t look at the six-stud shooter piece and not wanna turn it into a functional Cordak Blaster.

Gotta say, I’m EXTREMELY happy how it turned out as well as it did, so I hope you all enjoy this guy as much as I enjoyed building it!

SUBMISSION 3: TAKUA (2003 Rebuilt / Mask of Light version)

With the GWP rendition of Takua being lifted almost straight from his depiction in the Mata Nui Online Game, I wanted to give his upgraded Naming Day form a similar homage to his appearance the Mask of Light movie. Hope you all enjoy!

60 Likes

Welcome to the boards, Zeg! Your Krakua moc is pretty cool and I like how accurate it looks to the original moc while using System bricks, particularly the sword. Very nice job overall, neat moc!

6 Likes

Nice :+1:

5 Likes

Overall, a pretty good translation of the MoC. I especially like how the binoculars on the thighs represent the technic pin bits.

7 Likes

this might be my favourite yet, some very good techniques on this!

6 Likes

Thank you kindly, it’s great to be here!
Out of all the canonized MOCs you’d see in the Rahi guides and other books I used to read a ton of as a kid, Krakua was always a favorite of mine for how unique (albeit fragile!) his building techniques were, so I hope I could capture a little of that magic with the pieces I chose to help him pop out from Tahu a tad. Glad you like it!

4 Likes

I’m flattered, honestly, your submission is my favorite so far too!
Really didn’t wanna make it look too close to the original Tahu, being an older Toa design with a Hau-adjacent and Mata feet to match, so reimagining pieces like the legs and the torso articulation was a lot of fun to mess around with.
Best of luck with your entry and doubly for the Kopaka contest too!

5 Likes

Y’know what? How about another one!

13 Likes

Ooh he looks pretty cool! I really like the Cordak blaster and the overall moc is nice and accurate. Neat job!

5 Likes

ooo i love it
mask looks great, nice cordak blaster and i love the torso!

6 Likes

Thank you both for all the support! Trying to translate the stud shooter into a Cordak Blaster was part of what inspired me to tackle a Toa Mahri in the first place, and I’m wildly happy with the results. Can’t wait to use it some more!

5 Likes

No idea if this’ll be my last submission, but either way these’ve been a lot of fun so far and just about everything about the GWP set keeps giving me more ideas for stuff to make!

12 Likes

ok, this is aadorable
i love it

6 Likes

Ooh that build is pretty good too! Nice job at recreating the rebuilt form, neat moc

4 Likes

Better than what we got.

4 Likes

Hey by the way, congrats Zeg! Sorry I didn’t say as much sooner. You did make some great builds

5 Likes

congrats mate, u deserved it!

6 Likes

I built your Krakua & Matoro IRL (sorry for the bad photo quality, it’s a rushed job with bad lighting).

9 Likes

That’s really cool :sunglasses:

4 Likes

Love these! It took me too long to realize I could’ve put a downwards 2x2 bracket on the slope that make up Matoro’s torso to match the upwards bracket on the other side so you wouldn’t have that odd gap on his back :sweat_smile:

The decals look phenomenal too! I never would’ve expected the Kanohi Tryna design I whipped up by hand to look so clean in person, but I gotta say I might just have to buy these and build the little guys myself sometime. Genuinely, I’m humbled!

5 Likes