Lariska Ideas discussion (canon contest)

I’ve seen a few myself. A fan combo model is a creative yet oddly fitting take, considering 05’s Dark Hunters were titan combiners themselves.

The only possible issue with that is the blue-green color scheme. Since she’s an in-between color, the contest may only allow for one shade of blue or green but not both.

2 Likes

It sounds like you’re talking about this one?

Kinda weird/funny to hear to me :laughing: Reason I took it apart last year was not only because of the wrong colour, but also because I felt it didn’t hold up anymore build-wise. Those legs are painful to look at, and that elbow on the organic arm… And I believe I mentioned that the head also had its problems - mainly that the eyes had the tendency to swing outwards due to the lack of friction in the connection holding them. Also that use of obviously broken pieces for the mechanical arm… I still stand by my statement that if you already have broken pieces, you might as well use them, but not this obviously.

So time for a completely overhauled Lariska from my side (if anyone’s curious and missed it - a WIP of the nearly finished V1 is further up in this topic, though by now I’m on V2).

I should maybe see about getting my revamps of TSO and Ancient out of storage over christmas for a group shot… And maybe revamp Spider Nidhiki. But dark green is really one of the worst colours to work with due to limited parts…

4 Likes

I’m not planning on making a Lariska moc but I wanted to make a head for her that uses a slizer head and can wear kanohi.

With the small claws for the eyes and bar pieces you can change her expressions.

There’s a connector at the bottom of the head that allows kanohi to be worn. It can wear any kanohi from 04 onward but to wear 01 to 03 kanohi it needs a round tile with a bar.

The connector that holds the kanohi can be removed if you like.

With all the features of the head you can do this:

6 Likes

While I’ve seen that one before, I don’t think that was the one I was referencing? I remember seeing one a few months ago, or maybe it was earlier this year. At this rate I should just find the thing so I can link it. :stuck_out_tongue:

EDIT: Here it is:

Looking back, I’m not a big fan of the head, but I think this has a lot of interesting ideas that I like, especially when it comes to the limbs.

3 Likes

That mouth:

looks an awful lot like this mouth:

But jokes aside, that actually looks pretty good. I’m not a great fan of the eyes, but, again, innovative heads are cool.

6 Likes

Even for all your self-aspersions, I still like it. The Nuva armor on the right shoulder just looks awesome to me, and I actually like her legs. But I’m looking forward to seeing the final product of your overhaul.

I don’t actually have strong feelings on Gungans either way, but I just… don’t… want Lariska to be one. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

I have no problem with the idea of a custom head, but canonically the Vortixx are able to use masks, even if the Vahki head doesn’t allow it physically. I don’t see any reason why it would be a problem if the head, if it is a custom build, can’t hold a kanohi. Heck, Botar was able to use Kanohi masks, and you most certainly can’t put a mask on that face lol

8 Likes

Hey, me neither man.

This is true, although I still want the ability to wear Kanohi regardless. I feel like thats one of the functions we don’t actually have enough of in non matoran species.

That’s fair, but it’d be a nice feature to have, so we might as well try, right?

1 Like

If it looks good, and doesn’t feel like it is a forced feature of the head, than yes. But putting an old hand piece with a ball joint under the slizer head feels too much of a forced feature for me. There are several ways of making custom heads, but the slizer head specifically if a piece that alone is not compatible with the masks, only on the same way as the Vahki head. Physically? Not, only if it is a part of a larger head, but then the Kanohi would look too small, like a Krana on a Metru head. Storywise? Yes. If someone would use a piraka skull as her head, it would theoretically enable her to have a mask as a toy, as the Garai is compatible with it, but hey, Vezon is able to wear and use Kanohi masks too.

(Not to mention, that the whole “Lariska is able to use Kanohi masks, but she doesn’t wear one” originates from the quote of Hakann, from the Legacy of Evil, where he stated that Lariska would look awful with a mask on her face… which could pretty much refer to the fact that her general look doesn’t fit a mask, as it would look strange or ill-fitting on her.)

3 Likes

Yeah, but if you can make it look decent, then you might as well.

Keep in mind, he’s a Skakdi. Skakdi can’t use mask powers, so he’s probably biased from his own cultural perspective.

2 Likes

It might originate there but that’s certainly not the source for her ability to wear Kanohi if she so chose.

1 Like

You may be thinking of Johmak, who was described as resembling a Vortixx:

The Toa Mahri spun around to see an ebon-armored female standing just behind them. For a second, they thought she was a Vortixx, but a closer look revealed her to belong to a species they had never seen before. She carried a shield, but no weapon that they could see.

Johmak has no relation to Lariska, other than being one of the few female characters in the franchise who is a non-Toa warrior.

I don’t see any need to give a female character a Vahki head just because Roodaka (and maybe Johmak) have that appearance.

“Variety is the spice of destruction,” as Antroz tells us. Let’s do something original with Lariska.

7 Likes

As vague as these may be, here are some descriptions of the character. Someone was bound to do it eventually.

Birth of a Dark Hunter - BIONICLEsector01
Two things rapidly became apparent. The first was that his quarry wasn’t a Toa – she wore no Kanohi mask and she was much too good at slipping unseen and unheard through the night.

Time Trap
She jumped from a standing start into the rafters, executed a series of complicated gymnastic tricks, and then did a perfect dismount to land in front of her leader. The Shadowed One could not help but be a little amazed at her fluid skill, considering that her left arm was completely mechanical.

Federation of Fear - BIONICLEsector01
The others turned to see a small skiff approaching from the east. Its lone pilot was a female, lithe and well-armed. As she came alongside and clambered above the ship, Roodaka noticed that her left arm was completely mechanical.

Official Greg Dialogue | Page 140
3) I don’t see her as being red. You have to remember this is someone who strikes from the shadows a lot – red doesn’t lend itself to hiding in the shadows (ask Robin). I would say more of a dark blue-green.

Official Greg Dialogue | Page 265
2) I mean like a tealish color

Official Greg Dialogue | Page 102
5) Oh, no. That set is much too small to be Lariska. Lariska is the size of a Toa, she’s not a Matoran.

Official Greg Dialogue | Page 4
3) I don’t know why people think she looks like a Vortixx, when she isn’t one. At any rate, I don’t do a lot of description of characters in my books because I don’t picture them when I create them – I hear them.

Chat with Greg Farshtey | Page 57
I never thought of her as a Vortixx.

Nidhiki’s snide remark against Roodaka’s face doesn’t point in the direction of Lariska resembling a Vortixx. If Lariska did resemble one, Nidhiki would’ve made a similar insult and a description just like Johmak’s would exist. I get that this is overthinking but I don’t want Lariska to be a Vortixx

Birth of a Dark Hunter - BIONICLEsector01
Nidhiki didn’t move. He had found out the newcomer’s name was Roodaka, but precious little else about her. Still, he could make a few educated guesses and the best way to confirm them was face-to-face. If you can call what she’s got a “face”, he noted.

Hopefully we get something fresh in 2021 and based on what I’ve seen, we’ll probably get something better than a short Vortixx wannabe. I wouldn’t be surprised if the guidelines are something along the lines of:

• Lithe; athletic

• Teal

• Equipped with daggers

• Mechanical left arm

• Toa-sized

• Not a Vortixx

14 Likes

I think that’s a good list, thanks for compiling it! What strikes me is that her most-often described trait is her mechanical arm. Her color is never described in-story, only clarified as definitely not being red and more likely being teal after the fact, and it seems that she’s similar in height and stature to a Toa. Really, she’s almost more comparable to Hydraxon than anyone else, imo.

EDIT: From re-reading, Greg actually doesn’t say teal. He says “dark blue-green” and “tealish color”. It seems more likely that his intent was a color that we don’t have a good representation for in Lego. Teal could probably work, but honestly it seems like dark green or dark blue are just as viable.

8 Likes

Honestly, I would vote for a K’nex model, if it looked better than the competition. Teal is a more common color in that system.

(I’m being a bit sarcastic here, but not to a massive degree. I’ve always been a proponent to allow all the art mediums at once (though obviously not K’nex for legal reasons, I guess)).

2 Likes

I’ve kinda got a few ideas, but I’m gonna try and build lariska, so I’ll share them later.

1 Like

Okay, if it’s alright with you guys I’d like to solicit a couple more opinions:

• Head design: Is the ability to wear Kanohi a deal-breaker for you? I’ve tried to integrate it a couple of times, but I consistently find that leaving an open axle hole in her ‘mouth’ area just looks worse than giving her a proper lower jaw. I know that races some races who are able to wear kanohi in canon can’t in set form (e.g. Roodaka) so what are your guys’ stances on it?

• Mechanical arm: I’m thinking of trying to put a gear function in. If so, should I make the ‘handle’ a bright colour like it is in more recent sets, or keep it matching her colour scheme for a more ‘in-universe’ look? I’m leaning towards the latter atm, because a big yellow thing on your arm isn’t exactly stealthy, but what do you all think?

3 Likes

Considering she has never worn one in canon, I don’t see why this is an issue.

9 Likes

I mean, it isn’t a deal-breaker in theory; in theory it’s a cool feature. I just haven’t seen a build that uses it well yet. But hey, if you make it look good, great!

Definitely matching her color scheme. Including a function is pretty cool, but we aren’t trying to design a toy here. Breaking the color scheme like that seems like a bad idea.

4 Likes