Lord Artakha, Master of Crafts (Bionicle Canon Contest #2: Meet the Maker)

I didn’t plan to. I really didn’t. But after seeing all those early super buff Artakha’s I just couldn’t resist at least trying to provide an option that’s not super buff and more like what I imagine Artakha to look like. You probably all know know how sudden motivation sometimes is. :sweat_smile:
Still, three weeks for this was kinda short, especially since I needed to order some parts from Bricklink as well. As such, maybe this MOC might not be perfection, but I at least managed to build something decent, I think.

As per my personal rules, this MOC uses no painted parts, no 3D-printed parts and no CCBS parts. It is possible for everyone with access to only normal Lego parts, to build it exactly like this.

This MOC does (probably?) use illegal techniques. Everything is at least connected via one connection point, but the shape of the torso is greatly defined by parts being wedged into position. There are no stability issues, though, and as far as I can tell, no parts suffer from stress either.

Ideally I’d have used more sand green, but as everyone knows those parts are sparce. Kinda proud I actually managed to include those Inika arms into the torso. Well, I guess at least the colour is there.

Had I had more time (and hadn’t contest rules forbidden it) I’d actually have sewn a custom cloak for Artakha, too. I think a nice cloak would really add to his “lordly” appearance, which I tried to kinda go for. Guess that’s a project in case I win :stuck_out_tongue:.

Main picture:

Additional entry pictures:

Breakdown pictures (click to expand):

Leg:

Arm:

Front of torso:

Back of torso:

Head:

Hammer:

Additional pictures:

Threw together some tongs and a smaller hammer as well. The big hammer I imagine isn’t what Artakha uses to do the fine work, but rather the largest he has in his workshop, commonly used for simple stuff like folding/flattening metal - or if he decides to travel to someplace potentially dangerous.

Head:

Not completely happy with it, but it does the job. For further improvements I’m simply lacking the time and potentially also parts. As to why it’s gold and nothing else isn’t - I think it makes sense that the Mask of Creation is golden like the other two legendary Kanohi. It being the only gold thing on the MOC also lends it more visual importance, I think, just like way back with the Toa Mata’s golden masks. If all the parts existed in gold, replacing all the silver on the MOC with gold would probably have worked well, too, though.

Poseability:

The greatest weakness are the joints which start to struggle under the MOC’s weight (though my sockets are also not in the best shape), but Artakha is pretty poseable, as you can see.

Size comparison:

With 'Nika Guy and my (still assembled) Helryx. I think the size should fit canon in relation to an Inika build.

And tools:

As to instructions for the head - I fear I won’t be able to share those before the weekend (which is too late)… But you’ll get the head instructions regardless of how well or bad my MOC does in the contest.
EDIT: Head instructions can be found here.

39 Likes

I like it. Good luck!

1 Like

love the desighn

1 Like

Mmmm.

That mask.

Me like.

2 Likes

This has a strong visual charm

1 Like

Neat brick-built mask!:+1: