Makuta Veolu

It’s been a while since I’ve added to my Catalogue of Makuta. ̶S̶a̶d̶l̶y̶,̶ ̶a̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶t̶i̶m̶e̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶u̶p̶l̶o̶a̶d̶,̶ ̶I̶ ̶d̶o̶n̶’̶t̶ ̶h̶a̶v̶e̶ ̶a̶ ̶b̶a̶c̶k̶s̶t̶o̶r̶y̶ ̶p̶l̶a̶n̶n̶e̶d̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶c̶h̶a̶r̶a̶c̶t̶e̶r̶,̶ ̶s̶o̶ ̶I̶ ̶g̶u̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶I̶’̶l̶l̶ ̶j̶u̶s̶t̶ ̶p̶o̶s̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶m̶o̶c̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶n̶o̶w̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶c̶o̶m̶e̶ ̶b̶a̶c̶k̶ ̶i̶f̶ ̶I̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶n̶k̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶s̶o̶m̶e̶t̶h̶i̶n̶g̶.̶

Veolu, Lord of the Hives

Species: Makuta
Kanohi: Shelek, Great Mask of Silence (shapeshifted)
Pieces: 124

Veolu is the Makuta of the westernmost state of the southern region of the Southern Continent–the border between it and Makuta Mulgarath’s region is drawn by the Tren Krom River. Like Mulgarath, Veolu quickly got to work figuring out how to use the region’s wildlife to his advantage, becoming the “Queen” of the many hives of insect rahi; the Nui-Rama being a particular favorite of his.

Over the course of his reign, Veolu and Mulgarath got into a number of territorial disputes. Realizing these petty conflicts were getting them nowhere, Veolu ordered a ceasefire and approached Mulgarath to discuss the possibility of a truce. Unfortunately, Mulgarath had no intention of peacefully co-existing with rivals, so he absorbed Veolu and control of his region and his armies.

Trivia

• Veolu is loosely inspired by a dragonfly. His name is pulled from the scientific name of the yellow-winged darter.
  • This render took over twice as long as what it usually takes for 1200x1600 images (I believe this is because of the invisible pieces I used to attempt a motion blur-like effect).
  • This moc was originally going to be a Toa of Fire for a secret project I’m working on, but after realizing I already had a Toa with fire powers, I recycled the body for this Makuta.
17 Likes

The overall insectoid look is great, and those hands really compliment it. My only gripe would be that the mask isn’t bug-y enough.

4 Likes

Totally valid criticism tbh. I never really focused on the mask and I didn’t want to just do Charisma with antennae again.

3 Likes

A idea to consider is maybe designing it with the trans blue visor some of the Toa Mahri and Phantoka have. With the right shaping of the eye-holes that could probably give it a bug-eyed look.

5 Likes

A Makuta with a unique body shape is an instant favourite for me, and this is certainly very unique; I can’t think of anything else I’ve seen with this shape.

The build is also very cohesive, with a solid colour choices and structure.

4 Likes

I love the hand/claw build, it’s very unique

3 Likes