Renner V7 (self-MOC)

Aka That HF Guy, aka Chromeboy, aka “Isn’t That Just A Bulk Revamp?”, aka Andosomethingsomething Airhead I don’t remember

Every year I update this guy, it’s an annual tradition at this point. And, since 2022 is nearing its conclusion, I thought I’d post a new version before it’s too late to keep the tradition going. So I wiped the dust off of my white background, pulled out the camera for the first time in half a year and started taking pictures. Many pictures. A lot of pictures. This is going to be my biggest MOC post by far and probably ever, so prepare yourselves as we dive deeper into this sea of bland shades of grey.

(Here are the links to V6, V5 and V4)

The obligatory turnaround:

Even though I thought that V6 was a big improvement compared to the fifth, with time I grew more and more dissatisfied with it. While I was trying to make it as cohesive as I could, I ended up making it too bland. V6 lost almost all of the features that made the character recognisable and unique, keeping only the general colour scheme and the mask. So, in this version I tried to add all those features back in a new and improved state, while adding some stuff never seen before and fixing some issues from the previous version.

Comparison to V6

All of the changes here are purely cosmetic, the general structure is still the same.
Here are all of them:

• I added trans-blue lights, as accents of that colour were present in V3-V5
  • Got rid of the obnoxious HF symbol on the chest (reference to V1 that didn’t have it at all) and moved the HF insignia to the shoulders
  • Rebuilt the panels on the sides of the waist. Now they are attached to the upper hips instead of the waist to allow for better leg articulation and a slimmer silhouette
  • Changed the chest armour to get rid of the ugly stud undersides and 90 degree angles of some system plates (the new version makes the waist articulation almost non-existent, but the improved hip articulation makes up for that loss)
  • Rebuilt the feet, made the shins and elbows bulkier and the shoulders slightly narrower

I know that the changes on the figure itself might not seem significant enough to call this a separate version, because they aren’t. What underwent the biggest changes are the accessories:

V6 had extremely few and they were basic, so I decided to fix it by adding back a lot of the stuff from previous versions:
Nobody’s going to look at any of this, right?

Prosthetic arm

At one point in the NOTaHFfan lore Renner loses his left arm and it has to be replaced with an outdated mechanical prosthesis. It was always one of the most recognisable features of the MOC, but I got rid of it in V6 because I couldn’t find a way to build it at the time

To give an idea that this is an old, outdated piece of tech I included an external power source of some kind on the back.

Two small cannons are attached to the arm

Plasma sword

Not to be confused with a lightsaber

Grappling hook

To grapple things with

Double pistols

Double heavy double-barrelled laser pistols (try saying that 10 times in a row)

Rifle

Pew-pew

Ghid plush

I included this because, according to some people, I’m a Ghid simp, which is a wrong opinion to have.

STOMP

All of the accessories can be stored on the MOC at once:

Action poses:

Comparison to all versions:

Well, I think that’s it!
Constructive criticism is appreciated, tell me what you think!

@Hawkflight your feedback on the previous version of this MOC helped me tremendously with improving it, so would it be too much to ask you to do the same here?

39 Likes

oh wow
this…this looks amazing

2 Likes

this looks great! I love that you just keep on improving year after year, even if the changes are a bit minor in some spots. the accessories are all pretty neat, but Im not quite sure how to feel about that ghid, whether its cursed or if I should build one. maybe just do that anyways and if I decide its cursed then just go stomp

3 Likes

I was going through your Flickr recently and saw your 200 follower post; I was worried that you wouldn’t post it before next year, but you did it!

Anyways, this looks great! The changes to the figure are definitely minor, but they add a lot to the overall presence. All of the accessories are great, especially the Ghid plush. Speaking of that little skrunklo, what piece is the tie?

3 Likes

This moc/topic as a whole checks so many of my boxes/ There’s obviously lore and story behind this character, but you didn’t spend five paragraphs explaining it. The posing and photography is dynamic, and all the accessories and weapons look great, and like they go together (that ghid plush looks amazing). And the fact that all the accessories can be stored on his person at once is just the icing on the cake for me. Awesome job all round, and that head is still awesome.

6 Likes

That looks really good.
The changes from the older version are great, as are the accessories.

2 Likes

babe wake up, new renner just dropped.

2 Likes

It’s anodize, you airhead

Love the upgrade to the lower arms, it’s immense, you finally have fingers that match, I’m overcome with joy and am weeping at my computer profusely, my tear ducts are more like tear faucets, I’ve shorted out the power of my home with the copious amount of fluids spilling forth from my sockets, the end is nigh, save yourselves

Not having stickers on the legs helps immensely, and so does the spear-like ab section replacing the blockier one. Don’t know how I feel about the ankle lights, but the heartlight replacing the hf logo/core is an improvement. And so is the minifig arms! Adding that little bit of flow there helps a lot.

every ghreat author has his copycats :pensive: :pensive: :pensive: :yum: :pensive:
ok but now I want to learn about this NOTaHFfan lore :eye: :eye:

These actually feel the tiniest bit short. You’d need to swap out at least one of those pins, but you could peg this sucker in there on at least the top barrel and it might look better? idk

that is equal parts adorable and also touching that you’d dedicate a part of your excellent self moc to cringe writer

nooo renner dont turn me into a marketable pancake plushie

7 Likes

Awesome build, gives me vibes like Silverbolt from beast wars

2 Likes

EXQUISITE

2 Likes

I love the scars you added to the helmet. They add so much depth to an otherwise standard HF part. The rest of your self-MOC looks epic! I wish I could do more stuff like this…

1 Like

@Rhyla416 @Senit @Toa-Panem @BionicleBoss @DuneToa thank you all!

@wild_toa thank you!

STOMP is always an option. I’m actually planning to make instructions for the little ghid so that everyone could do the STOMP

@Cordax thank you very much!

Yeah, I really wanted to post the new version sooner, but finishing the arm, finding time to take all the pictures and editing them took ages

It’s a red lego rubber band that I weaved through the body of the figure in a very intricate way

@TheMOCingbird thank you very much for the kind words!

This is one of the most important features that I really wanted to include because realism. He can’t be pulling all those weapons out of a pocket dimension or something mid-battle.

@Ghid thank you very much!

It’s basically like Monopoly lore but boring. Maybe I’ll make a topic on it if I’m motivated enough

Yeah, several people have told me that. I’m already trying to find a solution to fix it.

I’m not a si- Wait this is actually wholesome!

13 Likes

Well done! Good details.

4 Likes

Of course! And you forgot to include “The only black and silver MOC Hawkflight cares about” to the list. :wink:

With your previous three two versions you included up for reference, it looks like you’re using V6 as the pizza with elements of V5 as the toppings. The structure hasn’t changed much, but you’ve added some additional details and character that were present in earlier versions. Or, in your own words:

Which was something that didn’t pop out to me enough until you mentioned it. I don’t think it adds much to add to the color scheme

honestly, though that partly has to do with my dislike of trans light blue in general. (Personally I’d go for trans medium blue, but that’s a harder color to come by these days.)
Don’t think I had a strong opinion on this one, in part because I don’t really notice it in comparison to some other issues I stitll have with the torso. On that note:

The abdomen armor in particular is improved. The other pieces attached to the octagonal plate I’m still not a fan of. I appreciate the effort with the hand pieces, but still, I’d rather see some of his finger pieces or some other minifig-use clip there.

Sometimes you just want pants instead of a skirt.

I do like the shaping of the feet more. Didn’t notice the knees or shoulders (even after mentioning it, it seems a minute enough change I can’t tell a difference.)

This is good. Looking at it, maybe the bright orange would also be a more vibrant trans color. Or maybe it’s more important that it make the arm seem alien.

Not too much to say about the other stuff.

Overall, it’s not a big change, but it adds in a lot of “play features”. Nice job.

5 Likes

Ah, now this is a slick self-moc. The armor and shaping work really well and I quite like your new improvements, though small, they add quite a lot overall. The weapons certainly seem to be a highlight and I must say they’re pretty nice. Excellent job here.

2 Likes

@Hawkflight thank you very much for your feedback!
It will be very helpful when I start working on the next version this year

That’s… actually a perfect way to describe it

Uhhh yeah, about that… Now I realise that these changes are so comedically insignificant that I shouldn’t have bothered mentioning them in the first place

In case you’re curious, here they are:

The front plate on the shin sits slightly higher now because I thought the proportions of the lower legs looked kinda wonky from the side

The rod here in the shoulders is pushed only halfway through on the new version. I know that this is a laughable “change”, but now the piece sticks out of the shoulder less awkwardly

Nowadays I’m not a fan of this colour either tbh. It’s just the one that had been present on this MOC for a while. I suppose it’s about time for it to finally go for good

I’ve made some quick photo edits to see how some other colours look on the MOC:

Trans medium blue, as you suggested.
Honestly, that does look a lot more pleasant to the eye, but those studs in this particular colour are a nuisance to find. I don’t think I even have a single one in my personal collection, and all bricklink sellers have only one or two in stock. Collecting 15-ish of them wouldn’t be easy

Trans neon orange, also your suggestion.
Personally, don’t like this one. The left arm blends in too much. It’s supposed to be very clear that it’s an object alien to the main body.

And here are some ideas of my own:

A callback to version one. Unfortunately, trans green is one of the ugliest Lego colours to ever exist in my opinion, so I’m definitely not going with this one

Trans bright green.
I decided to try this one out because I have a plenty of these parts in this colour. Not sure how I feel about it yet

Trans dark pink.
This one’s my favourite. It’s a unique colour that you almost never see on Bionicle and HF MOCs, creates a nice contrast with the rest of the MOC and is relatively easy to come by.

So, what do you think?

@Rukah thank you very much for the kind words!

14 Likes

Trans-pink would indeed be cool.

3 Likes

Super cool. I dig it.

2 Likes

-mom can we have ghid at home?
-no, we already have ghid at home

Ghid at home

Today I’m gonna show how to build the skrunklo

The most complex part of this build is the tie, so we’ll mainly going to focus on how to get it in place properly. For it you’ll need a medium-length official Lego rubber band. Nothing else is going to work

Here you have to pull the rubber band down not very hard in this specific configuration in order for the next step to work properly. This will be much easier to pull off if you don’t have stupid enormous claw-hands like me

Now you have to attach this piece. Notice how the band is weaved through all the bricks and isn’t jammed in between them. The angle at which you attach the two by two with a mixel joint is very specific and I needed several tries to achieve this

Now you can cap this contraption off. The fiddliest part is done

Fun fact: Lego designed these slope pieces with a small, seemingly useless cutout, specially so that I could take advantage of it in this MOC. The cutout is the perfect size for a rubber band to fit through

Here you fave to crisscross the rubber band over itself in order to complete the tie. This might be a little fiddly as well. Now onto the simplest part

The side eyes are attached using this interesting illegal connection. You have to fit the white system piece with two horizontal stud connections (I have no idea what the hell it’s called) through the nuva shoulder before you attach the grey technic connector. The process doesn’t actually damage the nuva shoulder in any way, you just have to fiddle around with it for a while until you find a perfect angle at which the system piece fits through it with little force

As you can see, the head isn’t actually attached to the mixel joint using the conventional socket because there’s too much friction in that connection for such a tiny build. The balljoint is held in between the two small clips on the light bluish grey system plate.

Congratulations, now you know how to build the tiny Ghid

@Cordax @wild_toa @Ghid I know you were curious

10 Likes

notahffan inspecting the tiniest details in lego pieces to figure out how to make skrunkle ghids tie

this is awesome thank u bro

7 Likes