Renner V8 (self-MOC)

Aka NOTaHFguy, aka Chromeboy, aka Adonize Airhead I finally remember, aka “That’s Definitely Just A Bulk Revamp”, aka The only black and silver MOC Hawkflight cares about, aka there are certainly a lot more nicknames he has specifically from the books, but I ain’t looking through all that because this post will take three hours to write even without it :skull:

Previous versions can be found following these links: V7, V6 , V5 , V4

The obligatory 360:

It is 2023, which means that Renner is due for a yet another yearly upgrade. And this year’s version is quite special, because my goal with it was to fix all problems I and others ever had with this build, while still adding several new features. I think I succeeded with this task, which, in a way, makes this the ultimate Renner

NEWLY ADDED FEATURES AND COMPARISON TO PREVIOUS VERSIONS (I bet nobody is ever going to read this)

Let’s look at the base figure first. The biggest issue I’ve had with two previous versions of this build was the complete lack of any articulation in the torso despite the necessary joint obviously being there. This was caused by two thick hoses taking up a major section of the torso design, which killed almost any articulation in the torso. There was no easy fix to this, so I redesigned the entire lower torso to have better shaping and textures and to allow for an ab crunch and a swivel in the waist. This improves the articulation drastically, making considerably more dynamic poses possible (which you’ll see later down in this post). It’s a shame that the details on the new lower torso are a but hard to make out because I took these pictures using a phone instead of my super omega ultra pro camera thing

An extension of this torso redesign is the fix of the issue that Winger had with the previous design:

Next issue with the previous versions was the prominence of 90 degree angles (the result of system being system) all over the moc, as highlighted by Hawkflight:

I’ve been trying to get rid of those since V6, but only now I got the parts necessary to complete this task. I finally replaced the kneecaps with new (new to me, these have existed for about four years I think) pieces that are much less square and have a much more interesting shape. I also added even more minifigure hands to the chest to try to hide system plates even more I’ve used a total of 19 minifig hands on this MOC, what’s wrong with me

I also replaced all the blue “lights” on the figure with pink ones, as it is a unique colour that is rarely seen on bionicle mocs. It really helps to break up the otherwise relatively boring colour scheme.

Probably the biggest visual change in this version are the “panel lines” seen all over the body, which is a look I achieved using a very interesting technique I had been eager to try out for a while. This technique is cutting pieces of access material from lego sticker sheets (you know, the stuff you’re left with after applying all stickers on a set) and applying them to pieces like ordinary lego stickers. It is a method that exists in this weird morally grey area between legal and illegal techniques, as you’re only using official lego stickers, but you’re cutting those official lego stickers, but those “official lego stickers” always end up in the trash anyways, so you’re actually fighting pollution by repurposing that “trash” in your lego build, but you’re using trash in your build, but that trash is officially produced by lego, and you loop back to the start of the argument…
This technique is very time consuming though. I spent around half a day applying everything you see on this moc. It requires a lot of patience and precision, but I feel like the end result is well worth it.

The other thing I did using this technique is adding adidas-esque stripes to the black parts of the armour. This ridiculous idea spawned in my head after this interaction:

I know this might look a bit silly, but I think it adds some personality to the character. And yes, this version of Renner can do the squat, but I completely forgot to take pictures of it (so silly and goofy of me)

Comparison to V5 and V6 (from left to right):

Comparison to all previous versions:

I will showcase all other new features in the “accessories” section

It’s accessories time

The previous iteration had a lot of accessories, but this one has even more

Light sword

Basically exactly the same as last time, just with differently coloured lights

On

Off

Rifle

Again, same thing as last time, just different lights

Double Pistols

This thing is quite different. I replaced the handles to match the other guns better and extended the barrels as suggested by @wild_toa on discord and Ghid

Grappling Hook

Nothing new here

Plasma Axe

This is a completely new weapon. It is a reference to V2, which wielded the Hewki Inika axe. Back then I imagined it as a sword, but now I feel like an axe is more fun, as it isn’t something you often see on bionicle/hf characters.
Here it has the same colour scheme as Renner’s left prosthetic arm, so I like to imagine that the axe comes from the same creator as the arm and is powered by exclusively it, lore-wise

Activated

Deactivated

Folded up for storage. This mode is mostly a happy accident, and I love how neatly it folds up

Sniper Rifle Railgun… Thing

This isn’t really a reference to any old versions of renner. It’s just me looking at the latest iteration of Monopoly’s self-MOC Photez, seeing the starburst rifle and going “I wAwnT dAt”

It also continues the tradition of me using SW CCBS figure gun parts on Renner’s accessories in unusual ways. This time it’s both backwards and upside down, while on the normal rifle seen above it’s just backwards

Ghid Plush

Same old, same old… nothing new to see here

Unlike the previous version, not all accessories can be stored on the figure at once. This time you have to choose between the rifle and the railgun, as both of them cannot fit at once. But I can’t come up with the scenario where renner would need both, so it’s still kinda realistic

Now it’s action poses time.
This is definitely where the new version shines. The waist joint adds so much articulation and opens up so many possibilities for expressive poses that had been unachievable before

I feel like the two pictures above illustrate what I mean best.

EVEN MORE POSES

I’m hiding all this away using the “hide details” function because the post is already waaay too enormous and I still want to show more pictures that I think are pretty cool

Here’s a bit of a comparison with my other prominent works:

Renner’s so tiny in comparison, despite being about inika-sized

That’s been a long post… If you’ve read through everything, including the hidden away portions, you can have a :cookie: that I stole from Pakari while he wasn’t looking

Well, that is it for now. I think this is the first time I’m fully satisfied with this MOC and don’t really want to change anything. As I said earlier, this is kinda the ultimate Renner. So, chances are, there will be no V9 in the future… I don’t think this MOC needs one. But we’ll see, of course.

This has been NOTaHfjdhddhdjreuudhdn, thanks for viewing, please tell me what you think (C&C is always appreciated!) and have a great day!

37 Likes

You always pack a lot of effort and detail into your mocs, and this one’s no different

plus those transparent weapons look very cool

5 Likes

well given that it’s your build it’s fitting :smirk:

I kid, this moc is fantastic. The new additions feel very fresh and fitting, (except the black on the helmet’s nose I don’t think I’ll get used to that) and the fact that the Ghid plush survived to accompany the ultimate version of the moc is touching.

Also this

What is wrong with you (thank you for this)

The articulation is wild, I’d never realized Renner action poses were missing from my life until they stared me in the face. The access are no different, as each one feels like it belongs with the model despite so many of them being so different from each other. And the railgun is totally epic, the starburst rifle doesn’t have anything on this beauty. Easily my favorite weapon out of the bunch.

Dual-wield.

You know it must occur. :eye: :eye:

What a tremendous journey this has been bringing this moc closer and closer to your ideal iteration. It’s been an honor to have been part of it, and I hope that any future iterations will have just as much refinement and cohesion as this one does. There’s very few self-mocs on the Boards taken to this level of articulation and detail, so pack yourself on the back for this one.

Tremendous work. 0/10 didn’t read.

4 Likes

I love how you can make a bunch of subtle changes with this moc year after year and have it continue to look better each time. Its really nice to see that you found a way to get some torso articulation working in there, and I honestly prefer it visually without the hoses. The stickers are a great idea, and they add to the moc really nicely. not gonna lie, I cant tell the difference between the blue vs pink lights, but thats probably just a me problem.

the pistols still feel a bit short to me, but its only by a stud or two this time (also my ping stretches across the whole page for some reason), that axe straight up feels like that red banished axe-ish grav hammer from halo and it looks great, its pretty neat that it folds up too, though its overshadowed by that railgun
dang that thing looks good
I dont really care for the bottom bit on it that much, but other than that its pretty amazing, Im curious to see what the design would look like with different colors for the transparent parts

the poses look great, and they remind me how much I want to try that foot design but keep forgetting to

inb4 pakari takes his cookie back

5 Likes

it’s like my review is on a movie poster

First of all, the trans pink looks great. Compared against V7, the choice of kneepad is nicer, and I’m digging the new abdomen design. The sticker technique is not something I’ve heard of before, but it’s sick.

Of course, I have to fulfill my contractual obligation for critique - the chest armor design (particularly the 1x1 plates against the very curvy minifigure arms) still bothers me. I think if that was sorted out, I might have zero complaints about him. (no promises though…)

5 Likes

Love the arc reactor like chest

3 Likes

I have no clue why there’s a Ghid plush but I love it, I need it, and I never thought I’d say those things about Ghid. The sniper rifle is also really cool, I’ve never seen a gun quite like it. The scope is neat and the minifig hands are a good touch!

4 Likes

someone’s clearly never read The Book of Ramblings

3 Likes

ah neato, this looks really good!

3 Likes

mean :(

Regardless, Renner’s looking great! I see he embraced his inner pink :relaxed:

6 Likes

This is really creative, and it looks super good; the final effect absolutely looks like interlocking armour panels.

I’d say that, while the use of the sticker leftovers themselves is gray, cutting them is definitely an illegal technique (albeit a low-impact, basically meaningless one; as you said, you’re cutting literal garbage).

5 Likes

@Enbeanie @Rhyla416 @Kamoranova5 @TheJerminator thank you all very much!

Couldn’t agree more, this is truly a based ta-

Okay but, objectively, this is a way better option than whatever this atrocity ( :nauseated_face: :face_vomiting: :skull:) is:

I spent so long scraping this sharpie off, it really didn’t want to go after being here for six years.

Of course it did. What would renner be without his own marketable plushie

The list goes on and on

Honestly, neither had I. Posing the last couple of versions felt kinda awkward most of the time and the poses themselves didn’t look quite right. The addition of waist articulation was such a gamechanger that I never would have expected

IMG_2554

The only objectively correct rating.

Seriously though, thank you very much for the very kind words and all the contributions you made to what Renner is now!

@wild_toa thanks a lot!

This time I’ve tried to actually match the textures and shapes on the abdomen with the rest of the body, which is something the hoses didn’t do at all, so I’m glad that it works for you

Man these things must be cured

I’ll try to consider a few options how to extend them

I’m glad everyone seems to like it this much! I think it’s definitely one of the better bionicle weapons I’ve designed in recent memory

Using the magic of editing, I can make that happen

I think you should definitely try it. It’s a very fun and compact design

Nooo not the cookie

Also,

[Insert bold eagle screeching noises]

(His robotic arm is not nearly strong enough to hold the smaller gun up)

@Hawkflight thank you very much!

Feels great, doesn’t it?

It is used extremely rarely by very few people, and mainly on smaller scale system MOCs. I can’t really come up with any examples off the top of my head though. But I can pretty confidently say that it had never been used on a bionicle MOC on such a big scale before.

Naturally. Hawkflight wouldn’t be Hawkflight without those. Largely thanks to these critiques this MOC became what it is now.

I’ve already made attempts to fix this several times, but nothing has worked so far. There’s not a lot space to work with under those plates and the connection points are very few and inconvenient. I won’t stop trying to find a solution for this though

@Minethuselah thank you!

Honestly, neither do I and I’m the one who created it

@Monopoly thanks!

His inner pink became his outer pink now :blush:

13 Likes

I just realised that I never posted some photos of Renner that I took at the seaside while staying on an island in the middle of nowhere

well, this is fixed now

11 Likes

he’s just hangin out on a rock that shares his color scheme

5 Likes

Man this photoshoot totally rocks!

It’s interesting to sea your moc like this - my eyes land on all the little details much easier, and I kno where all my favorite parts are. Oh, shin’s looking good, too. A bit random, I know, but it’s a nise aside. :goo:

3 Likes

:ocean:

Honestly I think that’s just unfortunate lighting. The other rocks that can be seen in the background are a much warmer colour

7 Likes
4 Likes

What a cool moc to have as your self moc. And those weapons are all great as well

3 Likes