Sokoda's weekly builds

Wow, these are pretty impressive for the given scale. The heads are certainly a weak point, but I’m not sure how you could do any better without a custom build for each head. One nice thing about the current head build is that you could swap out a single printed piece to change which mask the Toa is wearing… well, with the exception of the Akaku, I guess.

Speaking of which, the way you did the Akaku is pretty clever. I think it might look a bit better if some of the eye-scope studs were the hollow type, though.

In terms of practical playability, it bothers me that you can’t really move their arms back and forth that much, but I’m not sure how one would go about fixing that. And I suppose the working elbows make up for it.

4 Likes

Yeah exactly that’s a bit of my problem with them. I like to call them the “Block-heads of Voodoo island”. I’d need some kind of specialized mask-piece to make them look right.

Yeah someone told me that on Twitter too and I agree, I don’t know why I didn’t use that one in the first place

5 Likes

Typing in a rush I see

The only Toa that really work here are Lewa and maybe Kopaka. All the rest, with their centered mask prints and bizarre proportions… Eugh. It would probably help to have the print on the curved piece rather than the flat one, for some of them at least.

4 Likes

Yeah I was in quite a rush, I edited the post now, so people can actually understand what I’m talking about :smile:

I agree Lewa and Kopaka work the best. Probably because I originally only made this build for Lewa and only did the others because it was requested.

I tried printing on the curved piece for Tahu, Lewa and I think Onua too, but to me it looked worse than the tile.

4 Likes

ok but what if you do your own spin on the chima legend beasts

5 Likes

@Sokoda Can you build a Millennium Falcon with 15 pieces or less?

simple: just use one of the micro builds from the advent calendars

I LOVE THIS!

also, do you think you could make one-one from infinity train?

2 Likes

sounds like a good idea, wnated to do something from Chima sooner or later anyway

I probably could, there are already a lot of mini falcons out there and 15 pieces seems a bit small for a weekly build. If you want me to I can build one just for fun.

I never watched infinity train, so I just googled him and hmmm… with his very round shape he’d either be an extremely simple build or a very complex one. Not sure if I’ll be able to make a weekly build of him, but I’ll try to look into it.

I’m also once again at a point where I have a lot of requests and not a lot more open spots for weekly builds in 2020, so as always, I can’t promise which ones will happen.

8 Likes

[SWB 88] The Cursed Crocodile Statue

This weekly build was kinda requested by @VonDoom, who said he’d like to see something Pharaoh’s Quest related.

Stud.io-file: [SWB 88] The Cursed Crocodile Statue

33 Likes

Man, now I want a Pharaoh’s Quest reboot

Amazing work!

4 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

I spent many many hours playing that game when the theme was still around.

5 Likes

@Jathru_Cranli
Built the Mini Millennium Falcon with 15 pieces! Took some inspiration from some of the advent calender builds, but 15 pieces really isn’t a lot, most of them have more.
So here it is:

One more render and instructions

25 Likes

Purely out of curiosity, why did you use the technic piece you did instead of a normal single pin bushing?

1 Like

It holds the two curved bricks a bit mor in place with the axles and fills out the gappy underside a bit

4 Likes

oooh those binocular pieces really do the trick for the quadcannon
Nice job!

3 Likes

[SWB 89] Keetongu

Came up in the live-chat in a Nak and Jay episode: We were robbed of Mini-Keetongu in the 2005 system sets, so I decided to build one on my own.
All pieces exist in those colors and the Whirling Shields function works.

Stud.io-file: [SWB 89] Keetongu

43 Likes

This has to be one of my favorite builds so far. Awesome job!

5 Likes

That looks so good

4 Likes