The Book of Dreams

What’s Sans doing in the corner?

4 Likes

I could and honestly I probably should. I dumped the first ten links in at the first post, but then I got lazy. Thank you for the suggestion; I’ll implement that immediately.

Interesting theory, but it assumes a couple of things that aren’t necessarily required to have happen post-BoR events. Of course I won’t imply anything beyond that.

Finally, some good theory

Nono you should totally do that now or you’re gonna have too much backlog

The next couple of chapters (the very next one in particular) REALLY open up some cans of worms - heck, I’ll probably have the next chapter done by the time you read this.

Stop you’re giving me a stroke hbhllhhnlggnlgnlglggglllnbh

Interesting theory, but it assumes…

Ah, why even bother denying it. Yes that’s completely correct. Tott’s connection to his body is no match for the influence of Eilrach, who forcibly commanded and spoke through numerous dead bodies in BoR. Oh, and this won’t be the only time we see Tott finding parts of a room to be particularly lonely all alone and requiring company.

7 Likes

Look dad I did it.

5 Likes

wait

what are y-

4 Likes

I felt like I was having a stroke while writing that.

4 Likes

I eat them

Also I do not remember being dead canonically but then again nothing in Book of Logic made sense to me so ok.

4 Likes

Isn’t that supposed to be the lower half?

1 Like

my favorite sister

4 Likes

I’m so far behind that I think I’ll just wait for the ending before bingeing the whole thing.

5 Likes

its plenty easy to catch up, I missed most of the first one until it got into later stages, and I was able to catch up within about a week. (I need to read the last one and then this this time though, so Im probably not going to get caught up before this one finishes)

1 Like
Okay, let’s do this.

First off I’d like to say that Renner is a perfect, literally perfect depiction of myself, I love it. And the fact that you made him one of the more important characters is just… such an honour, honestly. I’m sure you won’t kill him right away in the next chapter, right?.. right?

I also had some thoughts regarding Chronicler and the way you’re going to incorporate him in this book.

So basically, this statement by Monopoly caught my attention:

I already theorised that the events of The Book of Logic took place in a different universe and this quote sort of confirms that, although it looks like Monopoly is currently in a bad shape and most likely driven insane, so who knows what’s going on in his not-anymore-circular head?
As far as I remember, Cronk died in BoL at the hands of The One to Trust (I don’t know if it’s actually true, I… uh… I still haven’t finished reading it), but what if he didn’t? What if he was transported to a different world, the one where the events of BoR and BoD take place in.
I don’t really have anything to confirm this theory, since I still haven’t finished reading BoL and might have missed some references to it in BoD.

As far as Monopoly goes, I honestly have no idea why Ghid is torturing him. Basically, He saved Ghid’s organisation by killing everyone who knew its dark secrets, so why would The One to Trust want to hurt him? Probably The One to Trust shouldn’t be trusted at all.

You know what the most horrifying thing is? That whisker thing was completely unintentional. The fact that you saw this means that you’re invested in the Cat theory more than I am. Doesn’t that mean it’s canon now?

Staying on topic of that little artwork, there’s something I noticed while drawing it: almost all main characters from this book not including Renner and Diero are bean- or shrimp-sized. I guess that you did it to show Renner’s impressive height without actually making him absurdly tall. If that’s the case, it just further confirms that you’re a freaking genius.

I like to think that Diero is about 7’0”, Renner’s 6’4” and Tott is like 4’0” or even smaller. Ghid’s probably 8’3” or something. And yes, I learned how to use your ridiculous measuring system… which is an achievement that I’m not particularly proud of.

Yey Uncle’s proud of me!

6 Likes

wasn’t that the whole message of the ending of BoL?

1 Like

Ch 16

Chapter 17

He had the figure of a man, this ivory foe which towered over those morons, his wide shoulders cutting a striking silhouette, his limbs emaciated and thin, his bony fingers like wires curled into knotted knuckle.

The figure’s skin was ashen white, with deep pits of grey in the hollow of his cheeks and brow. To consider such a visage as human would be a crime against humanity seeing as it was so much more. His neck was the same width of and consisted of his lower jaw, bending with the spine as if the bone inside was subject to the whims of the motion of the head. He had no nose or hair, as the upper jaw seemed to butt up against the eye sockets, and those eye sockets sat where the forehead of a normal human would reside, the remainder of the distance taken up by massive teeth.

And of course that’s not taking into consideration the two extra eyes, which seemed to have grown directly out of the right cheekbone and the right side of the jaw, the clearest identifier that this creature, this entity could only be Ghid himself, which glowered at the assembled party with no sympathetic intent. Maybe that was because almost everyone in the room decided to rush him at once.

Renner thrust his arm forward, commanding Diero to leap into action. The cadaverous cowboy threw the guttering match behind him, which I again caught and used to light up my cancer stick. Ghid was holding some large, dark object in his hand, and as Diero put two bullets into motion in a fraction of a second they collided with the object and shot across the room. There was an elevator on the left side of the top of the stairs, and the spent bullet collided with the down button, cracking it and causing the doors to slowly slide open.

Renner could immediately tell in that impossibly short moment that Ghid had come prepared, so he dove forwards in an attempt to collide with Ghid somehow. I don’t really know what he was doing, as the extent of my knowledge ends at me deliberately tripping him as he did so.

You might seem surprised, but please recall that I hate him and that he threw me off of an extremely high tower twice.

He was still carrying Jethryn, who tumbled out of his grip as he flew forward. Ghid caught the wounded figure by the throat, turning to avoid the tackling Jethryn and throwing the large object into Diero’s face, knocking him to the floor. Diero’s first reaction as soon as he got his eyes out from under his hat was the realization that the rectangular block of metal sitting on his chest and glaring at him from ruined sockets was the same one abandoned on the wheelless vehicle.

Ghid seemed to slide across the floor to the elevator, bowing forward to avoid colliding with the doorway as the doors began to close. The lower half of Jethryn, noticing his master’s plight, rocketed across the room to intercept, but Ghid stuck two fingers in his eye sockets and dropped him like a rock the moment he went limp. The doors shut and the mechanisms that controlled the elevator sent it slowly downwards.

By then the entire party had gotten to the elevator doors, Diero dropping the metal shape on Cordax, who was struggling to hold it on his own. Renner had the appearance of someone doing quick math for a couple of seconds before turning to Diero. “Dream: WHIRLING IRON!

Diero’s eyes shot forth blue flame alongside the obligatory roar, and then he spun his revolver at lightning speed, carving a massive gash in he elevator door, which he widened with a few well-placed kicks. Reaching into the elevator shaft, he carved the elevator cable in two with a quick motion of his spinning firearm, sending the box crashing to the ground. Renner jumped down the hole, followed by Jethryn’s lower half, which conveniently revived itself just before, and then Diero. With some reservations I began climbing down, ignoring the strained pleading of Cordax for someone to hold the crushed rectangle for him.

Halfway on my descent I slipped and plummeted into the to of the elevator with a thud. Nobody offered any words of sympathy or so much as extended a hand to help me up, they were all inspecting the elevator entrance. The passengers were both gone, and a large metal door in the side of the shaft had been opened. I barely had time to force myself back on my feet when Diero grabbed me by the collar and rushed after Renner down the path.

And then? The most awful, hideous, garbled scream I had ever heard, combines with a moist noise and the crunching of something hard. The party froze at the noise, and as the scream ended Jethryn’s lower half collapsed into a pile, completely unresponsive. Diero took no chances, however, and bolted down a bend in the path, dragging me along despite how much I protested it.

The hall we had traversed was muggy and moist, with a thick slime coating the walls, and a soft squishy substance under the feet of those who actually took the time to walk. Not me, of course, for I had an excellent chauffeur who offered both a scenic tour and incurable whiplash in the same trip. I know, I know, you’re extremely jealous that I got such a steal, but we can’t all be as lucky as me, now can we?

And if you just follow the tour here, you’ll see that I was in for a treat! In the limited light I saw the reddish soup nestled in the bowl which was formally Jethryn’s body, his ribcage serving as the perfect structure for such a meal. It was lovingly garnished with some of the mold from the wall, and topped with pieces of shattered bone, which were still being dropped in by the chef responsible for such a meal.

And that chef? A Dreamer, with piercing yellow eyes, extremely wide shoulders and hips, and despite how short he was his arms were long and jagged, with inhuman hands and deeply grooved wrinkles of unmoving skin across the forearm. They were coated in a deep crimson color, presumably coming from the soup he had crafted, and he was now trying to chew jagged fragments of bone ripped from Jethryn’s remaining arm, but since he had no lower jaw, they crumbled against the roof of his mouth and fell back into the mixture.

I hate to confess it as so, but I was rather fond of Jethryn. Of all the idiots in this caravan of stooges he was the only one I actually felt sorry for, and I’m never going to feel as if his death was not my fault, my responsibility, and entirely preventable if I had done a number of things differently. What mattered the most right then, however, is ensuring none of his acquaintances dared to believe Tott was actually somehow remorseful over his death. I would leave vengeance to better hands.

Renner stood in stunned silence for a moment or two, the shock of losing what I imagine he considered a friend setting in. Then he locked his jaw and lowered his brow into a vicious scowl.

“Dream: WILD CARD.” He waited until Diero had done the obligatory flames-in-eyes and roar for no reason thing, then turned to him and hissed his command. “Send him wherever Dreamers die.”

The small Dreamer roared out a bubbling froth of funny red liquid and bone slivers before vaulting over the Jethryn soup and shambling towards the party. Diero dropped me and prepped another card, this one again featuring an illustration of something which I could only decipher as the sun. I also had no idea where he kept getting these cards from as he seemed to just reach for them out of nowhere.

He tossed it with a wild swing of his arm, it jamming in between two of his opponent’s teeth. The shambling Dreamer took it out and tried to bite it for a moment before the blue flames consumed him and he disappeared.

“At the end of the day, nobody cares how much you tried, what the deal was, or if you were a good guy or a bad guy.” I mused, breaking the silence as I advanced to the Jethryn bourguignon. “Only if you die as one of the two. Now he is gone and so is this little monster who did him in. Which one was the good guy?”

“Shut up.” Renner growled, grabbing me by the throat and practically throwing me into the ground. “Shut up. Shut your stupid smart aleck mouth. You don’t have the right to talk about him that way. You don’t have the right to talk about him at all. You’re a festering rot which pervades everything it touches, you slander the deceased as insufferably as possible, you try my patience and I’ve just about had enough of your trying.” He hissed his contempt down at me as he threatened to cut my head off with his grip. “The very next time you act out of line, it’s over. You seem to valuable that worthless little life of yours enough to bother saving it, so never cross that line again.”

He dropped me on the floor and marched back towards the elevator in a fury, leaving Diero and myself to awkwardly look at each other. I again had not been intimidated by his display, but it was nice to see him put in an effort to defend his deceased friend. I mean, it would have been nice if I wasn’t reminded of his appreciation for horseradish.

“Where did you send it?” I asked, slowly standing back up and brushing the spongey floor material off my back.

“The sun.” Diero shrugged. “All I know is that Dreamers are formed by very intense heat. Seemed to me like the center of the sun would be hot enough to undo that process.”

At the end of the sentence I started violently. Something just made a lot of sense all of a sudden. “Well, uh, probably shouldn’t leave this poor fellow here,” I mused uncomfortably, trying to change the subject which had very clearly ended on its own and the efforts I awkwardly made only succeeded in making Diero suspicious. “What say we take him down and try to find a better spot to bury him?”

“Let’s look around first.” Diero said, spinning his revolver once. “I want to make sure there’s no more of those things around here.”

So he and I advanced over the fallen Jethryn, descending further down into the dark hallways. As they grew darker and darker there was a crackling sound from somewhere in the shadow, and Diero aimed his gun into the darkness just in time to not see a Dreamer fall down from the ceiling and attack him.

Throwing him off with ease, Diero motioned for me to handle the one while he advanced further into the darkness. I did so by putting the creature into a headlock and burying its face in the muck until its eyes extinguished. Diero fumbled about for more ammo, then fired three shots into the darkness, the third one spitting out green smoke.

“Uh, whoops.” Diero took out the cartridge of his gun and returned the bullets. “Those are the weird gas ones. Boss told me not to-”

The deep and insidious cackle that followed was not a good sign at all. I froze, staring into the shadow of the dark, while Diero angrily lit a match and walked two steps forward right into the arms of three Dreamers, two of which grabbed his ankle and his wrist.

The third was slightly more interesting, however. He was significantly taller than Diero, but he crouched down to avoid the ceiling. His anatomy was decidedly inhuman and far closer to redditor than anything else. However, the most concerning detail - to Diero, anyway, as I was not concerned at all by that part - was that besides being incredibly lanky and tall, the head was the exact likeness of Ghid, but without the extra eyes.

ALL IS AS ONCE WAS.” The three rock-like entities spoke in one voice. “WE ARE RISEN.

Ch 18

7 Likes

I haven’t read it yet but I assume everyone dies.

3 Likes

So I decided to save the major deets for the next chapter since covering the death of Jethryn was a bit too important to shorten. Next one’s definitely going to have the big reveal, trust me.

Oh yeah, and guess who’s officially back for real this time.

Well he is your self moc

Don’t give me ideas like that, NOTaHFfan! Heavens to Betsy, I might actually listen to them if you aren’t careful!

Disappointment +5.

It’s an interesting theory… I’ll have to consult with future Ghid who has already written the next chapter to see if anything happens that confirm it. Future me will get back to you on that.

I thought about making them taller, but given that Tott’s attire is just a lazy copy of Monopoly’s attire but with more cartoonish proportions, I knew I had to lean into keeping Renner more realistic-looking, especially when the party goes up against Ghid, who is 13’ tall.

Also

Also also

heh

Don’t worry, it’s not something to be proud of. None of the American systems of measurement are. Who the h*eck thought Fahrenheit was a good idea? Not me.

No rocks have fallen yet, so no

3 Likes

welp I guess Jethryn (@hawkflight) is dead

ok, now that’s @GoodGuy2006

there’s @Eilrach
I like the fight scenes tho

2 Likes

i’ll take it
i would like to eat renner now

4 Likes

You wanna know What’s funnier than 2 eilrachs?

3 eilrachs.

8 Likes

aha.

ahaha.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA- ghjiklrgijirgjhilrjhrjrig

I mean uh

RIP in peace and stuff

4 Likes

I eat it.

6 Likes