The Legend of the BIONICLE: Celebrating 20 years of Lego stories

In two days we basically got 2500 supporters since my post saying we just got 2427 supporters so yeah give two weeks

2 Likes

If this goes up in less than two weeks, LEGO would have to be insane not to approve it.

4 Likes

If you mean approve it, I agree, but we shouldn’t try and predict what TLG would or wouldn’t do.

If you mean improve, the only thing I could think of to improve it would be special molded pieces for the masks.

What concerns me though, is that the designers who will be revamping the set may not know much about Bionicle, therefore ignore small, yet important detailes (such as the Skarall Maze). Unless they find a designer who knows and likes Bionicle, the official product may loose some of its appeal.

2 Likes

For anyone unaware, Sohcahtoa added an update over on the Ideas page introducing a few new details, including a Tryna.

Edit: also

We have five supporters now.
~W12~

7 Likes

darn it I was going to post that. I had a screen grab and everything. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Never heard of him :laughing:

4 Likes

Not sure if I can say anything that hasn’t already been said… but the use of the iron man helmet for the masks works out well, even better than most of the time Lego themselves tries to use it cough cough wasp figure cough. Fantastic build and congrats on 5000 supporters, here’s hoping to 5000 more!

3 Likes

If this were to be approved, I think they would probably give it to someone like Nick Vas or Toothdominoes (who has already helped design one ideas set, Voltron)

5 Likes

Yes their statements on Twitter show they are very interested in this project and they are Bionicle fans

Sounds like a cool guy^^

5 Likes

Oh hey I may or may not have been behind that one😂

4 Likes

Well that’s good to here! Also, having seen the changes you’ve shown, I like them all! The additional Matoro mask is great, the green eyed GSR head is awesome. I’ve always loved the design of the Great Spirit Robot. And I like the inclusion of the Red Star. Though I feel it could use some work. Be it a little shading or maybe some extra detail of some kind. I understand the Red Star was never that detailed a set piece to begin with, and this is a very small print. But at the same time it kinda looks like a smear, and I think it could be done a bit better.

3 Likes

Yeah I agree I’m not really happy with the red star and the planets prints, but I just can’t really pull it off the way I want it to look

4 Likes

The two moon prints I actually think work pretty well. I especiall love the detail that Bota-Magna is a lot closer, just about to crack some Makuta skull.

Also I don’t know if anyone’s mentioned it yet, but I really like the UDD symbol on the top. That and other tiny setails like the Scrall maze and Matanui and Makuta stones really make this the absolute passion project and love letter Bionicle deserves for it’s 20th anniversary.

With all the support this has been getting, not to mention an official response from Lego after less than a week of posting this. I honestly cannot imagine how exciting this must be for you.

5 Likes

It especially is with comments like yours!
Thank you it really is supposed to be a love letter for Bionicle and I’ve put so much time, work and heart into this.
If this set would really be made, that would totally be a dream come true

4 Likes

Question (you’ve probably mentioned this before but I haven’t seen it and I’m really curious)… Okay actually a couple questions.

What initially inspired you to start this project? When/how did you get that initial idea for this?

And how long did it take for you to complete this? I mean yeah it’s a work in progress even now, but I mean from inspiration to the Ideas post, how long did that take?

1 Like

Inspiration, I can’t really tell you honestly, I wanted to build a Bionicle tribute set for years.
When I was on the Eljay Johnson show in April, I already teased it, so at that point I already had a lot of ideas, thats also when I started planning and making a lot of drawings, concepts, and decided what scenes I’ll use.
I took a lot of time for planning and started building on the 31. of May.
I scraped almost the whole thing once and after that I went for something close to what you see today.
Then there was a lot of time spent on prints, masks, renders, backgrounds…

The Initial idea came from me thinking about what are the most important lessons/ideas in Bionicle wich ffor me are the three virtues, that’s why I wanted to do three displays representing these virtues. I realized a lot of these scenes symbolize multiple virtuse, that’s whay I did the rotation thing with the text at the bottom.

The whole scale thin (Micro, Minifigure, Brickbuilt) came a bit later, because I thought that would be very unique ( I think ideas is the right place for a bit different types of sets) and fitted the scenes I chose.

I actually finished everything the exact day it went live on ideas, Lego was really fast on checking the project. So from April (first ideas even before that) to last week

5 Likes

Additionally, is there anything you’re afraid the designers might change if they make it into a real set?

Hmm I don’t know, the Lego designers are extremely tallented, and I normally like what they do wih a lot of the ideas sets, given the limitations of lego sets.
I think some of my prints might not make it^^, if it gets made, but honestly that wouldn’t bother me to much.
There are a lot of easter eggs and references in this moc, but I’m fine as long as the base inspiration/message is still recognizable

I think there also could be a lot of other interesting stuff you could put in there, so maybe some changes will add interesting references…

7 Likes

Perhaps some little details on the base of the telescope, to represent the scenes seen in MNOg?