The Rahagaless Toa Hagah (Bionicle Canon Contest #3: Honor Guard)

Hello, I present you my entries for the Toa Hagah contest.

Each Toa has an unique chest and shoulder armor, so each one feels unique, but keeping the color ratio (metal color and black parts) to make them look like the same team.

I give consent for my mask to be altered in the final group art if the artist chooses: (Yes)
I give consent for my metallic color choice to be altered in the final group art if the artist chooses: (Yes)
I give consent for my spear tip to be altered in the final group art if the artist chooses: (Yes)

But why someone would want to change any of this if they are perfect as they are

Bomonga

Deputy leader of the team, Bomonga has a Flat Dark Gold armor and an inorganic Suletu looking mask. He is shortest member of the team but the biggest when he use his mask, allowing him go to toe-to-toe against the Tahtorak.

Breakdown and talk

I decided make him gold to give him an armor that stand out and silver was already taken. Gunmetal on the other hand wouldn’t pop and it would make him look like a Toa of Magnetism. I chose an inorganic Suletu so we can have a “canon” aperance of Krakua. Also, the smooth surface combined with the armor.

I made him hunchback resembling to Onua and Whenua. He also have arms further apart to show strength.

He has the Bionicle Toa Inika Upper Arm Cover 53544 and Minifigure, Utensil Ingot / Bar 99563 pieces as chest armor and Large Figure Armor, Shoulder - Smooth (Knights Kingdom II) 50602 as shoulder armor. The spear tip is Hero Factory Weapon - Half Claw 92217.

The shoulder armor isn’t avalible in the Biopack, so I had to learn Blender to make my own piece. The result was good enough to look a like the piece but not perfect. Lucky for me, I found someone who made the piece and allow me to use it for the renders.

Gaaki

Gaaki has a Pearl Dark Gray armor and an inorganic Elda looking mask, honoring the Elda user in Jovan’s team who sacrificed to save Mata Nui. She has an inversed torso not beacuse she is a speedy girl, but because she is a swiming girl. The freestyle kick allow her go fast in the deep of the ocean with her harpoon.

Breakdown and talk

I decided make her gunmetal because a golden one will make her looks like a Toa of Psionics. I chose an Elda because we know that one Toa used it Jovan’s team, and as the headcanon I decided that he was the one who sacrificed himself in the end. He was afraid at the end, but he do the job, making him a hero (not as big as Matoro of course). The mask also have a natural aquatic apareance, matching with her element.

I made her with an inverted torso because I want one of the Toa have this built. The fact that she can swim made her a great option, without being too obvious as an inverted torso Pouks. The fact that she has a bigger butt was just a coincidence.

She has the Bionicle Foot Barraki Kalmah 58230 piece as chest armor and Hero Factory Mask (Black Phantom / Speeda Demon / Voltix) 98575 as shoulder armor. The spear tip is Bionicle Weapon Mahri Matoran Blade 57563.

I chose that spear tip because it looks like a harpoon, and the shoulder armor have those kinda dorsal fin, giving her a more aquatic look.

Kualus

Kualus has a Pearl Dark Gray armor and an inorganic Kadin looking mask, honoring Jovan. Despite been the “punk” of the team with all his spikes, he still is the one who talks with birds.

Note: Fixed illegal connection in his chest armor

Breakdown and talk

I decided make him gunmetal because a golden one will make him looks like a Toa of Light, and silver don’t pop enough in a white Toa. I chose a inorganic Kadin so we can have a more “canon” aperance for Jovan, honoring him in the process, and I found funny to have a punk so chill that he talks with birds. Also the spikes match with a ice appearence.

He is also a lefty because why not.

He has the Bionicle Foot Toa Inika Clawed 53542 piece as chest armor and Large Figure Armor, Shoulder - Spiky (Knights Kingdom II / Exo-Force) 54175 as shoulder armor. The spear tip is Hero Factory Weapon - Axe/Sword with Jagged Blade 11338.

The spear has a chain imitating a qiang (a chinese spear), that have a horse-hair tassel lashed that works as distraction when fighting. That way Kualus move the chain to disorient his enemies, and when he want to be quiet, he just freeze it in place.

Like Bomonga, the shoulder armor isn’t available in Studio, so I made a model myself but then I replace it for a better version that someone lend me for the renders.

Pouks

Pouks has a Flat Silver armor and an Arthron looking mask, with two tusks that match with his spear and shield. He loves massive beast (do to time constraints a Hikaki was the biggest rahi I could render).

Breakdown and talk

I decided make him silver because gold don’t pop enough in a brown Toa. I chose an Arthron because is a nice mask, not too aquatic and I though four Inika mask was too much. The tusks were added to fill the holes in the mask, and it made me easier the decition for the spear tip.

He has the Bionicle Chest Armor, Toa Nuva 43558 piece as chest armor and Hero Factory Mask (Bulk 2013) 11279 as shoulder armor. The spear tip is Bionicle Foot Mistika Clawed with Axle 61804.

He is the most standard build of the four, but not for that he looks less fantastic.

As you can see the team is distribuited in pairs:

• Two silver ones, two golden ones and two titanium
  • Two have black hips, two have only a black chest and two have a black body
  • Two have standar shoulder armor, two have Knights Kingdom shoulder armor and two have Hero Factory masks as shoulder armor
  • And so on so on so on…

They are as high as Whenua and shorter that Iruini:

Link for download here.
Disclaimer: This model have my Knights Kingdom armor pieces, feel free to use them at your own risk.

Special thanks to:

More images

31 Likes

I love these , also Gaaki having the inverted torso is brilliant because females tend to have wider hips anyways, I always felt this as an odd choice for Pohatu, and the paddling motion is spot on, Also I love the tusks matching Pouks spear and Bomonga’s stature as well as spikes emulating ice crystals for Kualus

3 Likes

These are really cool. However…

11 Likes

we already know this, It’s just kongus mask but grey, Greg has said as much himself.

As for the mocs they are still very nice

1 Like

Nice picture with Tahtorak.

1 Like

I like how you involved the Rahi with the Toa.

1 Like

That Kualus earns my vote!

2 Likes

These are some pretty great entries! Each member has a consistent and unique theme/look.

I also (surprisingly) like the little chain on Kualus’s spear. He’s my favorite out of these, but the illegally attached torso armor is a major disappointment. I think it could’ve definitely been connected in a better way.

Some Questions:

1. Where did you get the model for the Arthron? I don’t remember it being in the biopack
  2. Do you have a link to the Knight’s kingdom pieces?
3 Likes

I think I read somewhere that there is a bionicle 3d modeling group and they get access to Wip versions of the biopack, not sure tho

1 Like

I see. In that case, it’s good to see that the Mahri masks are likely coming to the biopack. I feel as though there’s a distinct lack of official masks right now.

1 Like

I think the mahri Jaller armor, the Hordika weapons (and probably heads) were coming too in the next bio pack update. Oh and some glatorian helmets.

2 Likes

Nice! :eyes:

1 Like

https://www.reddit.com/r/bioniclelego/comments/nrgtkq/hmmmmmmmm_biopack_update_nah_no_who_even_does/
Found the post about the update. Somewhere on the way looking for it there was a gelu with his pieces

2 Likes

And without the scales/damage.

Same.

1 Like

No those are still there, Greg only said it was the same piece/mask but metallic

1 Like

For the Inika masks in general, yes. But specifically for Kongu’s Suletu:

1 Like

You’re right. I made some last minute changes in Kualus and forgot to test the connection. I will fix it.

3 Likes

At one point I tried Kualus with an Inika foot and connected it like this, using these pieces.

3 Likes

The nature of the masks has a lot to do with where they got them from, and of course, the Suletu has been buried underground a long time.

Depends on if you think the scaly half is a result of it being organic or not

I mean he says its up to you own interpetation, also the first one seems to imply that because they found it in the ground stuff like moss or bacteria had started to grow on the mask.

Edit: Not saying you are wrong though, I just think its a matter of Greg not giving a concrete answer

1 Like

You’re the best! I was thinking in some solutions, but yours is better.

I know that, but I didn’t have the organics masks in Studio and those mask don’t fit in a metru head. My hopes are that after the group art part of the contest, someone made a more resembling to the organic mask, but that fit in a metru head.

I found it in the Discord group for Bionicle 3d modeling. It should come soon with the next BioPack update.

Zhokker asked me to not share the pieces. If you want them you should contact him or wait for the Knights’ Kingdom pack.

5 Likes