Toa Orde, the First man (ver.Bu / MOC for canon contest)

Hi everyone! :blush:
I see that the final vote on Hagah is now open!
I am very excited to see whose MOC will be canon.

Lately, we’ve been seeing a lot of MOCs built for future contests, like Orde and Lariska.
To be honest, I didn’t want to announce this Orde until just before the contest. Because it’s my first choice for the contest, and I wanted to prevent exceptionally to someonefrom copying the MOC structure.
(I announced Nidhiki because he was my second choice and also as a test to see how things would go if I had announced in advance)

However, Orde contest has getting pretty close, and praying that the contest would continue, I decided to announce this MOC a bit prematurely.

Oh, sorry. It’s been a long talk.
So please enjoy! This is my Orde! :wink:

“The Matoran escaped; ORDE didn’t.
He was finally saved by the rest of his Toa team, but not before enduring days of interrogation.
Only his strength of will had kept him sane.” ─Narrator

【Toa Orde (ver.Bu / for ‘Canon’ Contest)】

【Data】
Kanohi : Sanok
Tool : PSI Blade
Element : Psionics
Notes : The first Toa of Psionics

【Concept】

In designing the Orde, I had to rethink the lineage of the Toa’s appearance in order to explore a more compelling design.
If Helryx is literally the “first Toa”, then Orde is inevitably the “second or later Toa”, and I thought GB should have updated their Toa building techniques.
So I finished the design of him as “Another prototype of Toa Mata” or “A Toa as a ‘Test type’ with Helryx as the ‘Prototype’”.

As I mentioned in the Concept image, the reason why Orde looks more armored than Tahu is because of my hypothesis that Mata was intentionally set to have less armor so that she could wear The Golden Armor.
(Please note that this is just a theory that became necessary when doing the design, and I have no intention of canonizing this hypothesis along with it for Fandom, if I were to win with this MOC)

【Armor design】

jaller

BIONICLE’s wonderful designs sometimes share a common design in their armor and masks.
Mahri Jaller has an arched vent (or drain) like design common to his Arthorn and chest armor.
Toa Nuva and Takanuva have triangular holes in common on their Limb Armor and Nuva Armor.
Furthermore, Mister-N has cleverly designed Helryx’s mask to follow this method, working backwards from the Roborider head-armor.

Following this method, I first adopted Sanok, a popular mask for Orde (I am a supporter too).
From there, I chose to harmonize Sanok’s “continuous wave” or “hardened brain” like design with the ribbed hose design used in the good old LEGO Technic.
(Of course, since the rules of the Orde contest are still undecided, his mask may be changed to something different, and I will follow it if that happens, but at least at this point, I felt I had to do the best design I could)

Also, one of Helryx’s biggest features is that she has a large additional ribbed hose on her body.
Whether this is a prototypical structure for Ga-Toa’s powerful cardiopulmonary function or an external energy pathway for muscular strength is unclear, but I’ve decided that it is necessary for her to exist.
(I personality opinion is that Ga-Toa’s cardiopulmonary doesn’t come from function, because they are one of Water’s Elemental power)

And for the Toa, which was created after her but with a structure similar to hers, I assumed that this structure was more “refined” and optimized to be smaller and smaller, eventually becoming the actuators of Toa Mata’s limbs.
So I attached a “smaller ribbed hose” to Orde’s arm as an “energy pathway in the process of improvement”.

Also, GB and its creatures tend to patronize the “continuous circle pattern” for their creations.
I respected this as well, and adopted a piece that has a design of six consecutive circles on his chest and leg armor.
I also intentionally did not use the same piece for the upper and lower parts of the armor, but used a stepped design so that it would blend in with the multifaceted design of the Sanok and BIONICLE pieces.

In summary, I designed the Orde with the most in mind: something that could only be built because the BIONICLE contest was held in the year 2021, and yet still be in harmony with the good old “ancient designs”.

【Toa Tool : PSI Blade】

I am also a supporter of his Tool being a spear or a sword with a long handle, but in order to represent him as someone in between Helryx and Mata, I made it from the common that Helryx’s weapon and Mata’s weapon of “painted with some color instead of a silvery metallic color”.
(Gold is an Elemental color in psionics, so I’m excluding it here)

I also see the design of Tahu’s fire sword as one of the most beautiful BIONICLE pieces.
His spear is based on this design technique.
(It was very difficult to harmonize the “invisible power” of psionics with the weapon, but when I got the idea of “vectors of invisible force”, I arrived at the design of “a spear that draws a large arrow in a unique and overall shape that harmonizes with the mysterious atmosphere of psionics”.)

【Specs as a MOC】

Basically, as you can see, i think his range of motion is sufficient.

This is the most important point.
I gave him the lumbar actuator that is also used in the later Toa Mata and Mata Nui - but in this MOC, it actually follows the movement of the lumbar.

Of course, such a small actuator piece does not exist in LEGO today.
The secret of this structure lies in the fact that I used a kind of “trompe l’oeil” method - the actuator itself does not expand or contract at all, but the ping connecter structure at its base allows it to move freely in all directions, and when the waist is pulled, the bar of the actuator is caught in the hole of this piece #32175 and follows the movement of the waist without pulling out.

(When you actually try to move it, the actuator bar does not pull out of the #32175 unless you bend his waist backwards too much, so you can play with it without stress)

(a state of his upper body tilted forward to try the limit to “pull out” the actuator bar. The bar still gets caught on the edge of the connecter’s hole and does not come loose)

"I saw flashes of what he has planned for this world. He has to be stopped, Gelu … if there’s still time."ㅤ─Orde

Thank you!! :blush: :blush: :blush: :revolving_hearts: :revolving_hearts: :revolving_hearts: :revolving_hearts:
(About Instruction, I will share it when entring contest!)

110 Likes

Okay, this. is. simply. magnificent.

Metru blue and black with accents of newer gold is such a beautiful colour scheme and works perfectly for Orde as a Toa of Psionics. There are a lot of shades of blue and gold in Lego, but I think that these two work together the best.

The design process behind this MOC is also amazing, I adore how much thought you put in your creations. Your Orde indeed looks like the missing link between Helryx and the Toa Mata.
And the building techniques here are very clever! Like, that Mata-like abdominal area with great articulation is mind-blowing. I like how seamlessly you integrated Lego System into the build, but I can tell that the system integration might cause some debates, but, as someone who also likes to use Lego bricks in Bionicle MOCs, I’m all for it!

Also, I think that you accidentally posted it in the wrong category, shouldn’t it be in Lego Creations?

13 Likes

Nice. I really like him a lot. He strangely fits in with the Bionicle aesthetic but is more detailed.

Yup true.
Moved to Lego Creations

4 Likes

WOW! You put a lot of effort into this!
It’s AWESOME!!! :smiley:

2 Likes

Oh, this is so cool!

gold parts used all over his body are well harmonized.

It also goes well with Toa prototype concept

This will get my vote.

4 Likes

This is nothing short of glorious. Is it possible that it’s -slightly- over-designed in the torso? Yes, but that doesn’t mean I wouldn’t vote for it 10 out of 10 times.

5 Likes

This. is. AWESOME.
You did your research.
also
the moc is great!

2 Likes

Mmmmmmm.

Delicious.

Now this is just too much. Please, I can’t take so much good design at once.

Absolutely phenomenal, a shoe-in for first place. Best of luck in the contest good sir.

12 Likes

WOW I simply love everything about this! every decision is purposeful and the colors are blend well with accents in all the right places I usually try to nitpick a small change but I cannot fine one

1 Like

Thank you @NOTaHFfan ! :revolving_hearts: :revolving_hearts:
I know it’s a bit difficult to use a system piece for a BIONICLE MOC, but I wanted to create an armor design that “we hadn’t seen before, and that would not be unnatural for a BIO-being to wear”, and this is what I came up with. :wink:
(I’ve been feeling a little sad about the lack of new designs for Toa and Villain armor since Mahri Nui, and have been searching for a “new expression of armor”.)
Also, since Orde is one of the earliest Toa, I figured it wouldn’t be too much of a problem to use a “primitive” piece only little.
(Conversely, if the subject of the MOC had not been Orde, I might not have used the System piece)
(Bu the way, I love using System piece to BIOMOCs too!) :wink: :blush:

Thank you @Senit! :revolving_hearts: :revolving_hearts:
I’m very glad you said that, because I think I built him as “A Toa”, not “just a humanoid LEGO piece Mechanoid”! :wink: :wink: :revolving_hearts: :revolving_hearts:

Thank you @Xyatharus ! :revolving_hearts: :revolving_hearts:
I had already finished this when the Artakha contest had closed, and sice I continued to fix and refining till now! :blush: :blush:

Thank you @RiderBD ! :revolving_hearts: :revolving_hearts:
I’m so glad your giving a vote! :joy: :joy:

Thank you @Winger ! :revolving_hearts: :revolving_hearts:
Indeed, I was also confused about his coloring at first.
But see my reply to cynic1987 for why I finally decided to present him in this livery! :wink:
And thanks for the interest in vote! :heart_eyes: :revolving_hearts:

Thank you @Rukah ! :revolving_hearts: :revolving_hearts:
I’m always so encouraged by your support! :blush: :blush: :revolving_hearts: :revolving_hearts:

Thank you @Ghid! :revolving_hearts: :revolving_hearts:
I did my best to build the MOC, of course, but there are so many great builders here that I may lose out.

Still, I need to say this: I WILL NOT LOSE! :wink: :laughing:

Thank you @cynic1987 ! :revolving_hearts: :revolving_hearts:
I’m so glad you understand my desining will! :joy: :revolving_hearts:
As you probably already understand, I designed this MOC with a clear intent: black for his frame, blue for his primary armor, and gold for his auxiliary armor and power function components! :wink:
As the saying goes, “Beautiful design has a clear functional reason.”

Incidentally, I always draw a concept sketch to flesh out the design to some extent before actually building the MOC.
Of course, these sketches are often changed during the construction process, but if I have a clear idea of the shape of my imagination beforehand, even if I have doubts or worries, I have a clear direction and the probability of succeeding in finalizing the design fnishing.

Since I’m going out of my way, I’ll also present an early concept sketch here! :blush: :blush:
(It’s a very early sketch, drawn about a year ago, so there are many differences from the current MOC)

26 Likes

I can’t remember if I commented on your Nidhiki MOC, but I have to say that I love seeing all the sketches and notes as you try and piece together the evolution in designs of the Toa. The results are certainly always stunning. The color combination here is maybe my favorite for a Toa of Psionics, and I love the way that this has a similar vibe to the canon Helryx MOC while feeling a bit more refined and detailed. Good luck on the contest, and I hope we keep seeing MOCs from you for a long time!

8 Likes

Thank you @rainsong! :revolving_hearts: :revolving_hearts:
With people like you cheering me on, I can keep doing my WORK!:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :blush: :revolving_hearts: :revolving_hearts:

7 Likes

Yes, system brick can also go well with Bionicle.
I was thinking of using system for the new MOC(It’s been used in Lariska, but just little.)
you already set a good precedent first.

1 Like

Thank you again, BD! :laughing: :revolving_hearts:
but Your Lariska is very good too! :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Oh my goodness. This is incredible. Don’t even know where to start with compliments. Flawless build imo

3 Likes

Thank you @Barafu ! :revolving_hearts: :revolving_hearts:
I’m so glad to I could impress you that much!
A lot of work ahead, but hopefully the contest will continue and I can challenge ourselves here at the MOC! :wink: :blush:

5 Likes

Now this is a thing of beauty. An excellent representation of Mr. Problematic.

I’ll admit that I’ve never liked the Sanok for Orde, I think him controlling the flight of his weapon would be possible with just his elemental powers, and in a more narratively interesting way than just “He always hits” and of the two I definitely prefer Galva’s newer version of the same mask. That said, my personal dislike of the mask is about the only negative thing I can say about this. Everything else is great, especially the mechanisms around the waist.

I just hope the amount of System won’t put off the hardline Technic-only crowd. I personally don’t mind seeing a lot of System in a Bonkle model, and I’m not alone in that, but I also know there are some who really don’t like the idea.

6 Likes

Thank you @ToaArcan! :revolving_hearts: :revolving_hearts:

Yes, I understand that there are people who are negative about Sanok-Orde.
And I’ve also explained before the possibility that Orde might be able to use Sanok more effectively.
(For example, Sanok doesn’t consume Orde’s Elemental Energy, and once he succeeds in throwing the spear, Orde can use his Elemental to do something else from that moment on, and focus.
Also, a spear thrown with Sanok can no longer interfere by attcking Orde, and may even allow him to perform ultra long-range sniping beyond the range of his psionic power.)

In the end, though, I think it’s all a matter of “personal preference” and will be decided in the future anyway (if the contest continues), so I honestly think it’s unproductive to discuss anything now. :wink: :blush: :blush:

And I’m more than grateful that you liked this Orde, except for a few hard-to-able-change-opinion points of yours! :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes: :revolving_hearts: :revolving_hearts:
(Especially about the system piece. After thinking about the design of the Orde, I just couldn’t change this “ancient” expression, but I admit that this was a very needs me the valor.) :joy: :relieved:

6 Likes

Very beautiful MOC, many solid techniques being used. I’m not the biggest fan of lego system pieces in builds, but you did it nicely. Also love the thought processes you had in the build.

I will say that I can hardly see it as a transition build from Helryx to the Mata because of how complex it is, but that doesn’t detract any beauty from the MOC itself.

2 Likes

Thank you @Takutanuva! :revolving_hearts: :revolving_hearts:

I’m so GLAD!! Thank you again!! :laughing: :revolving_hearts: :revolving_hearts:

Thank you again!
And let me talk, this is just my geek-speak! not a denial your opinion!

Some of his complexity is intentional. :stuck_out_tongue:
They are certainly BIO-being, not just Robots, but they are artificial life forms that are clearly imitated by GB as Glatorians and are more “mechanical”.
And, as is often the case in “machine development,” the very first “prototype” was often “wasteful” in the shape of wiring and parts due to unsophisticated design.
(That’s why I love canon-Helryx, which has the “charm of unfinished design”)

And the “test type”, which is developed “next” by acquiring the technology from the prototype, is trying to use the technology well this time, and while some points are greatly refined, but some are more complicated.
(I had attended an very small industrial school and my grades were embarrassingly not good, and I don’t know why I had go to industrial school LOL, but I’m still a bit knowledge)

And machines developed after the “third or more” often finally get a stable and simple(by its finished designing) structure.

…… Well, of course, I admit that when I build it as a MOC, there is also a reason why you wanted to have a more “cool” and “wide range of motion” design. :joy: :laughing: :revolving_hearts:

5 Likes