What books are you currently reading?

welp I finally finished the phb guess it’s time to return to this junk.

2 Likes

Reading Narnia right now.

4 Likes

Which one?

2 Likes

Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe but I plan on finishing the entire series.

3 Likes

Fahrenheit 451 is the greatest book of all time and you cannot convince me otherwise.

Its singular flaw is that I can never think of Faber as looking like anyone besides Christian Faber.

6 Likes

:sunglasses:

I’ll be expecting you to venmo me my ‘i am cool’ victory money by tomorrow.

3 Likes

Reading that as my first classic sci-fi book ruined all other classic sci-fi for me. :stuck_out_tongue: I also really love Something Wicked This Way Comes.

3 Likes

Well, it certainly is in my top 10, or in the top 5 of my top 10 but greatest is a difficult award to place. Ironically I read the “graphic novel” first (If you’ve read the book you’ll understand the irony.) But reading the book was next level, out of the many books that explore future society this one feels eerily close in many ways, even if elements like the dangerous activities youths engage in seem ridiculous, the parallels still are there.

A cyber hound is a must do on my Moc list.

I’ve been currently reading 20,000 leagues under the sea, honestly about time as I’ve read most other classic SF and this is a foremost one. What puts a smile on my face is the just the sense of wonder the story conveys, akin to Jacque Cousteau’s documentaries would have. Also the numerous references to “The Creator” are interesting as it just isn’t something you hear of in any modern book. Like many older books though it is mainly a vehicle for astounding sights/events and is not primarily focused on any particular character or theme.

6 Likes

I’m currently reading the percy jackson book series

4 Likes

Read Echopraxia by Peter Watts, and one of the characters had a familiar looking name :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

When was that book originally published? Before or after 2003?

Bionicle: encyclopedia by Greg farshtey.

2 Likes

I highly doubt it’s more than a coincidence. Rs, Ks, and Shs aren’t that unique in sci-fi names.

3 Likes

Everything that Winger said, but I’ll also add there’s a Nepalese drink called “Raksi” that he could’ve based the name off of as well. Honestly, if there’s one thing I could praise about Watts’ writing (and there’s a bit), it’s that he makes up names that feel real, like you could trace them back to the 14th century, even though they’re totally fictional.

I just finished The Ocean at the End of the Lane, Neil Gaiman. Awesome story, fantastically written, super spooky, with just the right amount of existential undertones for me. 100% would recommend. It’s quite an short and easy read as well, only took me a evening and a bit the next afternoon, and I’m not a particularly fast reader.

3 Likes

re-reading Goosebumps books

2 Likes

I’m currently reading the Star Wars book, “The Truce at Bakura” (well, maybe not “currently”, but I’m working on it), and when I finish, I’ll move on to reading the famous Thrawn Trilogy… which will definitely take a long time…

1 Like

I’m reading Wings of Fire rn. It’s a YA book series about dragons. Tbh, even though it’s a YA series, it has some of the best characters I’ve ever read. There’s a lot of characters but all of them feel unique/distinct in some way. The dialogue is really fun to read and the story is really interesting. I also really like the world, it’s a fantasy world but there’s lots of emphasis on natural environments rather than only medieval themed castles and buildings. It kind of reminds me of Zelda’s world or Deltora (another YA fantasy series) in that way.

Does the Book Of Dreams count

1 Like

I am reading this book in my hand.

1 Like