Artakha, Master Builder (Canon Contest #2: Meet the Maker)

Greetings, all. It’s been a while since I posted my last MOC, but I’m back (fleetingly) to share my interpretation of Artakha. He’s been worked on on-and-off for the last two years, with some recent tweaks following the announcement of the contests. A special thanks to the guys at RSG for giving feedback and design suggestions.

Build

My Artakha is a hefty boi, containing upwards of 700 pieces and standing just slightly taller than the Brutaka set. My design process usually involves remaining reasonably faithful to the G1 aesthetic, with some extra stylistic flair; such as the occasional use of System parts, advanced functions, and a larger repertoire of part recolours.

Designing him, I wanted to give him an imposing, ancient and regal look. This led me to build a very broad and beefy upper body. The regality came across mainly through the loincloth (often dubbed a skirt, and sometimes even a kilt, in the RSG circle), while the occasional gear details reflect his status as a master crafter and inventor. It’s interesting how many other entries I’ve seen that have this kind of loincloth design.

And yes - those are Ultimate Dume masks on the shoulders.

Weapon

Artakha features a large hammer, which uses some Technic driving rings and standard gears to thicken and detail the handle. The face of the hammer uses a Kraata pack lid. Turns out I wasn’t the only one in the contest that came up with that idea.
The hammer connects to Artakha’s right hand via the open axle portion of the handle, which slots through a connector on the bottom of the hand. He can be made to grip the hammer loosely by folding his fingers.

Functions

Artakha technically features three functions:

1. The first of these is the waist function, which works like the G2 Uniter sets. There’s usually enough clearance for the waist to swivel unimpeded by the loincloth. When the loincloth is in the way, it’s a simple case of repositioning it slightly.
  2. The right arm can also be turned using the cog on the upper back. There’s a ball and socket fitted behind the Jaller / Matoro Mahri armour which tightens the system, giving the arm enough friction to hold up the hammer. Sadly, a combination of very old and worn joint pieces in the upper arm, and the relative heaviness of the hammer, makes it difficult for the arm to be turned via the function without the shoulder joint flopping. Adding G2 friction extender joints can fix this, though given more time I’d have considered lightening the hammer.
  3. The third function is an experimental locking system, which uses a Technic gear shifter to lock or unlock the left arm, controlling its ability to rotate freely at the shoulder. This doesn’t work as well as I’d hoped, as there’s still a fair bit of free rotation that goes on while locked. If I made the MOC from scratch, I’d likely ditch this system in favour of a ball and socket friction system. If my set wins, I might consider doing this.
More about the functions (for the mechanically inclined)

I went pretty ambitious with the function complexity in this MOC. Doing so didn’t always work in my favour, but it was an interesting challenge nonetheless.

• Functions 2 and 3 work using U-joints, which let you transmit rotational movement across a non-90-degree angle. This is what allows the arms to be angled upward.
  • Function 3 connects to a driving ring + gear assembly, which engages when you pull the lever on Artakha’s back downwards. When engaged, the red driving ring locks into the dark grey gear in the middle, preventing it from rotating. The light grey gear to the right is thus also prevented from rotating, which by extension means the arm can’t rotate. When disengaged, the driving ring withdraws from the dark grey gear, allowing the assembly of gears to rotate freely together, along with the arm.

You can see more of the inner workings here:

Mask

I’ve used Galva’s Mask of Creation for my build. It’s a bit small for the body, but hopefully that would be resolved if artwork were made of this Artakha.

Note to Shapeways users: don’t order this mask in the standard Versatile Plastic material. The resolution is too poor to properly print the runes on the crown. Take the photo above as a case in point.

Size Comparisons

Artakha>Average Toa>Modernised Matoran>03 Matoran

Artakha vs. Brutaka

Bonus Content

See More

Once we are there, my master will speak with you … or not … depending on his whim. He may open his fortress for the first time in millennia and welcome you in — or he may banish you forever without a second thought.

A while ago, I made a Ba-Matoran using my modernised Matoran build, and thought I’d use him as my interpretation of the Matoran that welcomes the Toa Nuva to Artakha’s island in the Toa Nuva blog. As an experiment, I integrated a gear function, at the expense of head articulation.

Breakdown Photos

See More

Torso

Chestpiece

Arm

Note: the Metru armour on the lower arm should be pointing the other way in this image. I attached the lower arm the wrong way :confused:

Upper Leg

Hammer

Inner Torso 1

Inner Torso 2

Inner Torso 3

Glad you made it through to the end of this sizeable post. Please leave your feedback below. There’s some great sets I’m competing against in this contest, but if I do win, I’ll definitely make plans to improve the set further based on feedback, and update the digital version of the build so you guys have an easier time building him.

Merry voting and such
-Hazash-

P.S.: If this MOC wins, I’d suggest that artists change the sand green pieces to something like dark grey, to prevent an overload of sand green in the colour scheme.

52 Likes

I’m not seeing a lot of green, but boy is that mask wonderful! Feels very regal, like it’s out of Knight’s Kingdom.

1 Like

What you may be seeing as black is dark green. The paint I used is slightly darker than Lego dark green.

1 Like

The kilt kind of reminds me of original Broly, nice work!

2 Likes

Are those Makuta masks painted?

This is a a very solid build. Not my preferred colours, but everything else is really cool. And the functions are awesome as well.

1 Like

Indeed they are.

Uh oh the meme has spread

I don’t get it, what meme?

The loincloth has been jokingly called a kilt in the RSG circle. I guess that’s what I get for making it red :confused:

This is really good! I don’t think there’s enough green, but as it’s own thing it’s awesome! It kind of reminds me of greek pottery, like…

5 Likes

This hits me right in the nostalgia.

I’m genuinely curious: does the armour look black? Does it look like there’s any dark green on the set at all? Dark green is the primary colour.

1 Like

Oh shoot, I can make it out kinda now, but it REALLY blends in with the black pieces. Must be your lighting or something, cause I genuinely didnt notice it.

I see it, I don’t really see how it could be mistaken for black, but just as a warning: since this MOC already has sand green in it the dark green cannot be changed during the art contest, so I hope your fine with Artakha being primarily dark green in canon!

The dark green paint I used is a bit darker than Lego dark green, but not by much. It’s probably the lighting.

@Propulsion I don’t think that’s how it works. In the artwork, both shades would be sand green.

Edited for Double Post ~ Hawkeye

3 Likes

Artakha is primarily sand green as per Canon - all dark green in this MoC (and likely some of the black because they are pretty darn close in these pics and others might mistake ) would be recoloured to Sand Green in the art portion were this MoC to win.

~Hawkeye

6 Likes

All green (except for eyestalks and some other exceptions) will be recolored.

1 Like

@Mesonak said this.

While you’re here and I’m still awake, can you confirm that the breakdown photos I provided are sufficient? They’re in a drop-down menu.

Some of the photos are from the digital copy of the model. Is that fine? Do I need to link to the file in this instance?

@Propulsion

Missing half the context there bud:

The MoC in question did not use a secondary green and had only Sand Green as the colour. Meso’s statement regarding recolouring applies only to the other colours on that MoC, and in this case would apply to the Dark Green being recoloured to Sand Green.

Obviously in a case where Sand Green is already the colour of the MoC, we would not be allowing recolouring.

@Hazash I can’t actually confirm that but I’ll get Meso and Eljay to take a look - pictures aren’t something where I’m fully aware of what they’re looking for.

~Hawkeye

2 Likes

Cool thanks. Just concerned I’m going to get DQ’d if I don’t resolve any issues before the deadline in a few hours.

Welp, you can’t win them all! Thanks for the clarification.