The Matoran Rebuilt (Biowave Project)

#The Biowave Project: Matoran Rebuilt

Utilising the boundless resources of their new home of Valda Nui, the Matoran and Turaga have been rebuilt into larger, more capable forms.

During the development of the MNOG Project, I decided to create new designs for the Matoran. These later became a part of the Biowave Project, a community initiative which you can learn more about below.

Story details for the Biowave Project will be highlighted in bold.

Height Order

These Matoran are built from the miniature Mata gearboxes found in the Master Builder set, and feature many painted parts.

Matoran Through the Ages

Among others, these six Matoran will be featured in the Biowave Project’s upcoming webcomic series:

#Nuhrii

Co-captain of the New Ta-Koro Guard, Nuhrii is calm, brave and reliable. He would sooner give his life for his comrades and village than flee before the dark forces stirring in the depths of Valda Nui.

Weapons: Ta-Koro Guard fire spear and shield

Weapons Stored:

Original:

#Pelagia

Spending most of her time on the open ocean as a sailor, Pelagia is more at peace with her troubles than most Matoran. Her calm and accepting nature has allowed her to befriend many Matoran, including Vhisola, who sees Pelagia as her only friend.

Weapon: spear

Weapon Stored:

Original:

#Golyo

Golyo is New Po-Koro’s Mahi herder. Living far from the other Po-Matoran, his hut is perched in the canyons guarding the village. Despite his solitude, he does not resent company, and will often lend his Mahi to weary travelers seeking transport to or from the village.

Weapon: cattle prod
In canon, Golyo’s mask is tan. I made it burnt orange here to improve his colour distribution.

Weapon Stored:

Original:

#Shu

Shu is a New Le-Koro musician and member of the Gukko Defense Force. He is arguably the fastest Le-Matoran on Valda Nui, and his excitable nature always makes him eager to prove it.

Weapon: katana
Shu is mentioned but never seen in any Bionicle media. This is my non-canon representation of him.

Weapon Stored:

Original:

#Lumi

As an acolyte, Lumi’s duty is to meditate on the Matoran Principles, and to predict future events by sensing shifts in the island’s power. As with most Ko-Matoran, he is quiet, but is always willing to give guidance to anyone who might seek it.

Weapon: acolyte’s staff

Weapon Stored:

Original:

#Onepu

Onepu is the longstanding captain of the Ussalry. Because of his skill as both a warrior and a diplomat, Turaga Whenua often confides in Onepu for counsel and protection - as do his fellow Onu-Matoran.

Weapons: Ussalry blade, claws

Weapon Stored:

Original:

#The Biowave Project - a Community Initiative

I and a few other members of the Bionicle community are currently developing content for an expanded G1 storyline, which includes MOCs and a webcomic series covering events following the defeat of Makuta Teridax.

###The Biowave Project Website

All of our work for the project will be archived on the site.

Along with project and set overviews, you’ll find several entries into the Story section:

Follow the links below to see more entries into the project:

###Looking for Artists

We recently decided to have multiple artists working on different sections of the first episode of the webcomic.
If anyone is interested in producing a small section of the webcomic’s first episode (i.e. drawing each panel), please contact me.
Whether you’re completely set on fulfilling the role or not, please don’t hesitate to ask about the project and the work required.

It is highly desirable that you:

• Have existing artwork to show to us,
  • Can work on the first webcomic with some degree of regularity during its development.

It would be useful if you:

• Can utilise an art style that resembles the following:

Our previous artist’s style: inspired by the movies’ aesthetic, and by the MNOG art style.

#Next Time: The Toa Takha

48 Likes

These are brilliant!

I like Onupeu the most.

Interesting designs. You used Onepu so this has my approval =P

you mean the throwbot gearboxes.

2 Likes

I like how unified they look, but each still has their own unique traits. The paint jobs for a majority of the parts (some of the purple pieces on Onepu look a little odd) look really good as well.

Just the uniqueness of each one is awesome. Cool designs.

I like Golyo’s build and how his upside-down torso kinda mimics the stereotypical texan beer-bellied farmers

1 Like

They all look awesome.

Little does Pelagia know, but she is now the senpai for Yandere Vhisola.

1 Like

Probably :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I love them

Really like their builds! They look awesome!
Looking forward to see more Biowave related stuff in the future as well!

These are really cool. The only criticism I have is that Pelagia’s neck is a bit weird/long. I like how you designed Onepu and Golyo, they look like they were designed off of the original Onua and Pohatu Mata figures, and I think it really works out well for them. As well, I like Nuhrii’s design, he definitely looks like a guard character. Also, are the designs for these Matoran representative of other Matoran of the same element, or are they unique?

Thanks for the comment.

In the Biowave canon, Matoran of one village have the same chest armour but that’s the only limitation. Nuhrii, Shu and Onepu have shoulder armour because of their roles as soldiers - this is exclusive to them, and the Onu-Matoran claws Onepu wears are tools rather than part of the hands. To remove traditional limitations, Matoran of one village are now more varied in stature and eye colour (e.g. Matoran Kaj has orange eyes and is less bulky than Onepu).

1 Like

Throwbot torsos eh?

1 Like

I wouldn’t worry about Golyo’s mask not being tan. In canon, powerless masks like his are painted, so it’s not outside the realm of possibility that his tan Miru was damaged somehow and he got a burnt orange one to replace it.