The Turaga Rebuilt (Biowave Project)

#The Biowave Project: Turaga Rebuilt

Utilising the boundless resources of their new home of Valda Nui, the Matoran and Turaga have been rebuilt into larger, more capable forms.

During the development of the MNOG Project, I also decided to create new designs for the Turaga. These later became a part of the Biowave Project, a community initiative which you can learn more about below.

New vs. Old Turaga (Height Order)

#Build

These designs take great inspiration from the Turaga’s appearance in the movies, and their builds and colour schemes have been made to match their movie counterparts as much as possible.
However, to imply their upgraded nature, they have been made taller.

A recreation of the ‘two-part torso’ of the movie Turaga.

The liftarms covering the body represent the Turaga’s cloaks worn in the movies.

The cloaks and arms for most of the Turaga are attached to the torso using these pieces.
Variations in how the head is connected account for how hunched each Turaga’s neck is.

#Vakama

The means of head attachment used by Vakama and Onewa makes their heads less hunched.

#Nokama

This means of head attachment used by Nokama, Matau and Nuju makes their heads more hunched.

#Onewa

Due to his longer cloak, Onewa’s build is slightly different.
The legs used by Onewa and Nuju make them slightly taller.

#Matau

Matau’s body is made shorter by the different orientation of the torso connector piece.

nuju

Like Onewa, Nuju’s build is slightly different due to his longer cloak.

#Whenua

Whenua’s head is much more hunched due to it’s completely different means of attachment to the torso. Like Matau, the different orientation of the torso connector piece makes his body shorter.

#The Biowave Project - a Community Initiative

I and a few other members of the Bionicle community are currently developing content for an expanded G1 storyline, which includes MOCs and a webcomic series covering events following the defeat of Makuta Teridax.

###The Biowave Project Website

All of our work for the project will be archived on the site.

Along with project and set overviews, you’ll find several entries into the Story section:

Follow the links below to see more entries into the project:

###Looking for Artists

We recently decided to have multiple artists working on different sections of the first episode of the webcomic.
If anyone is interested in producing a small section of the webcomic’s first episode (i.e. drawing each panel), please contact me.
Whether you’re completely set on fulfilling the role or not, please don’t hesitate to ask about the project and the work required.

It is highly desirable that you:

• Have existing artwork to show to us,
  • Can work on the first webcomic with some degree of regularity during its development.

It would be useful if you:

• Can utilise an art style that resembles the following:

Our previous artist’s style: inspired by the movies’ aesthetic, and by the MNOG art style.

#Next Time: The Toa Takha

48 Likes

Interesting recreation of the Turaga. The legs look a little odd from certain angles, but aren’t that big a detriment. Overall, good job!

3 Likes

They aren’t looking bad, but somehow these proportions for the Turaga seem far too awkward to me personally. The problem are probably the long legs. Its great that you were able to keep the differences in height to some extend, though.

I myself tried to do a movie inspired Turaga Dume revamp, but sadly failed…

5 Likes

these look… way too tall.

you need to shorten the legs, man.

1 Like

Not a big fan of how long the legs are.

Cool revamps nonetheless.

Man… this is just great.

1 Like

These guys are really cool. The only thing I’m not a fan of are Nokama and Vakama’s legs. They look a bit too lanky for me.

These look really great, I like how you kept their height differences between each other instead of making them clones.

I feel old now.

1 Like

In my opinion, you should either shorten the limbs, or lengthen the cloaks. Besides that, though, they’re quite good.

1 Like

The robes look more like cardboard Matau convinced the others to wear :stuck_out_tongue:

That’s my only gripe. How well do they scale with other Toa and Matoran?

Third time!

1 Like

If you mean the Biowave Toa and Matoran, check the image at the bottom. They’re generally a bit taller than Matoran.

Great mocs! I love what you’re doing with all the mnog character revamps. Whenua is my favorite.

Fascinating and cool! I love these rebuilds! Especially the ability to bend at the waist. Makes Mask of Light characters feel much more alive.
It seemed evident post-Toa Nuva that the Toa needed to be larger and more complex. These Turaga appropriately reflect the ■■■■■ towards the larger Toa and civilian builds in late-game G1.