Sovereign: New Age - Signups and OOC Discussion Topic (signups still open!)

less smart than it seems

what do you think will happen when all the gores hear their queen getting attacked?

2 Likes

Here’s hoping that the other gores stand down if that creature is killed.

If the Paladin is quick to dispatch her, they may either swarm him or they will flee. But that is a blind guess on my part.

2 Likes

are you firing at the Gore carrying Iosif or something else?

3 Likes

If I can safely ground/incapacitate it, yes. If it dies in flight, Iosif could die from the fall. As for any other Gore he shoots at, he isn’t being so merciful.

1 Like

heads up since it feels like a jerk move to spring this on you with no forewarning: the next post is where new major stuff happens.

3 Likes

Like TVP getting swarmed? Or am I way off the Mark?

1 Like

maybe

2 Likes

Let me know if I’m unintentionally wording my stuff to autohit.

1 Like

Alright, with Winger’s permission I’d like to discuss something which I feel is going to become rampant as time goes on.

Quite the bulky bit of info, no? A post with a bulky amount of meat attached to it. Minces words to make for more reading, generally good writing, a post which fills itself with content. I wonder what the response to this will be.

One, uh… One sentence. Which gets to the point as quickly as possible and leaves no room for building or meat. We’re eating only potato chips tonight.

And this is hardly reserved to just Blackbelt or just Callen. Not even just to this RP. You’ll find this sort of posting everywhere on the message boards, but the difference between here and everywhere else is that Ghid happens to be here and to be involved. A good GM (I will assume Winger is one for argument’s sake) isn’t going to honor this style of ‘get everything done in the quickest, most efficient, and least detailed manner possible, while also making the character look effortlessly skilled’, instead making these swift instances of pseudo metagaming accomplish next to nothing in terms of progression.

Example of such a theoretical thing occurring with our theoretically good GM:

‘I kill all the things’

‘sorry, no, all the things keep existing and aren’t killed efficiently enough to suddenly solve the problem’

Difficulty and solution. For those who post like this, expect to see more solutions akin to this as time goes on, as Winger’s already responded a good amount of times like this and I doubt situations will radically reinvent themselves on everyone’s parts anytime soon.

So, uh, yeah. It’s more fun for me and everyone involved when you guys fill your posts with meat and your characters with character.
This essay was sponsored by Kellogg’s Sugar Scalp Flakes, the dandiest dandruff to keep you dynamic and daring in your day to day, darling

3 Likes

I don’t wish to drop walls of text on you guys and the short bursts feel like they are reflecting the chaos of the battle and the quick thinking required by Callen in this situation.

In each of my posts, I have tried to explain the tactic and the intent.

Plus, I want to put more details in my posts but I also want to try and keep Callen’s dark secret a secret as I fear adding more detail could risk me slipping up and dropping a hint when I don’t want to.

2 Likes

This is significantly my fault - I didn’t set very good parameters/objectives for the combat encounter, so it got out of control. So I apologize, for the way this panned out.

The other issue is that not everyone has the time, or motivation, or investment, or confidence to write with more detail. It’s an issue I have a lot in D&D, but I have to suck it up: I can’t force my players to RP.

3 Likes

It’s happening enough that you’re not going to hurt anyone’s feelings by doing so. If you have the ability to write more completely, I highly recommend you do so.

They seem more akin to a lack of forethought and a style of metagaming. I’m glad they’re not, but it very much comes off like that.

Take the risk. You don’t become a better author by not writing or not challenging yourself.

Au contraire, you provided everyone with something to do against a comparably low-level group of opponents. One important thing to keep in mind is DnD and on-site RPs are practically two completely separate things and operate very differently; on-site RPs are entirely about writing characters and being expressive and detailed, so dice-rolls and contained group parties are mostly never used.

Doesn’t mean they can’t be, but no successful one I’ve seen so far use DnD rules and paid off.

Yes you can you’re the GM

3 Likes

This is something I wanted to bring up - this is technically determining the outcome of your own action, but it’s not a problem because he makes himself fail, in a sense, so it’s not autohitting.

If anyone has a problem with this sort of thing let me know.

4 Likes

I’m just trying to not overstep my boundaries. I don’t want to be known as “that guy who autohits everything and never gets hit” although I will admit, I imagined my character as a much better fighter and definitely much tougher

1 Like

True but this is a rather big risk for Callen in-game…I will say nothing more.

Then it will continue to look like you’re at the limit of your capability.

Sorry.

Well, then perhaps I need to talk with Winger about how to include more detail while keeping the secret a secret.

Mind the autohits.

2 Likes

Oop let me fix that, got too inthralled with the one liner

1 Like

May I offer my character as a possible example? Riddle me this, what are Hereward’s secrets? If you read the early posts of the game, perhaps you caught on or at least got a clue. Though if you didn’t notice, well, I might’ve failed somewhere.

3 Likes

I’m going to assume, due to his skill set (if you know what I mean @Winger) that blunt force hits are much easier to recover from than cuts and stabs

1 Like