#7: Onu-Matoran (MNOG Project)

#The MNOG Project: Onu-Matoran

Welcome to the MNOG Project:

This entry marks the reviewing of the final group of named Matoran from the Mata Nui Online Games, complete with items and props based on those found and used by the Matoran of Mata Nui.
For more information on what’s yet to come in the eighth and final main installment for the project, scroll down to the end of the topic.

This time, I’ll be reviewing the Onu-Matoran.

#The Ussalry

These are the only named members of the Ussalry found in the MNOGs.
Disclaimer: At the time of building these Matoran, the only purple paint I could find that adequately matched the set colour also happened to be very thick, which is why some of these parts don’t look as polished as those of other colours.

Onepu

Occupation: Ussalry captain, right hand of Turaga Whenua, Kolhii player
Appears in: MNOG I, MNOG II
Tools / Props: Blue and Purple Ussal

Kaj

Tools / Props: Lightstone torch
You can see my interpretation of Kaj as a Toa here.

Damek

Tools / Props: Flame torch

Inspiration

The blue and purple Ussal crabs, as seen in their stables.

Kaj’s Lightstone torch.

Damek’s flame torch.

#Miners

Dosne

Appears in: MNOG II
Tools / Props: Digger

Azibo

Tools / Props: Magnifying glass, crystal

Taipu

Occupation: Miner, left hand of Turaga Whenua, Kolhii player, teacher
Tools / Props: Pickaxe, mining cart

Ideally the cart would have been bigger, though since I designed it on LDD, I didn’t notice how small it was until I physically built it.

Tehutti

Tools / Props: Pickaxe, mining Ussal

Aiyetoro

Tools / Props: Pickaxe, mining light

(Light not to scale.)

Mamru

Tools / Props: Mounted flashlight, mining elevator

As shown from this upside-down view, the System plated floor is attached via many pins to the elevator’s framework.
Disclaimer: I also designed a frame for the elevator, such that it could be made functional; however this frame was too expensive to build. Once I’m ready to purchase parts for the frame, both it and the elevator platform itself will be re-released on the Boards.
To see the the frame and the elevator body combined in the original LDD model, scroll down to the Bonus Images section.

Inspiration

Dosne’s digger in MNOG II.

A mining Ussal in MNOG I.

A mining light in MNOG II.

A mining elevator in MNOG I.

#Crafters

Nuparu

Tools / Props: Blowtorch, Boxor

Akamu

Tools / Props: Buzzsaw, crafting table, tool crate

Inspiration

Nuparu’s blowtorch in the Bohrok Animations.
I realise now that this is a different design from my own version, however I didn’t have time to order the relevant pieces.

#Trader

Zemya

Tools / Props: Stall

In stock: bamboo poles (turned out much less green than expected), air bladder, sailcloth, rope, rigging, net, protodermis, Lightstones, fishhooks, nails and ore.
Disclaimer: I would have ideally made the stall brown, however brown pieces are quite rare - tan was the most convenient option.

turaga

Whenua alongside his left and right hands (Taipu and Onepu respectively).

#Teachers

During MNOG II, Hahli learned about the Principle of Prosperity from Azibo, and trained in the Kolhii skill of Stamina with Taipu.

Hahli trains in Stamina by carrying a boulder.

Inspiration

Hahli training in Stamina during the MNOG II minigame.

The Charms of Prosperity and Stamina respectively.

#Miscellaneous

Midak

Appears in: MNOG I
Tools / Props: Blade of grass; blue, orange and red Ussal

To my knowledge, only the blue Ussal is canon. The orange Ussal is a modified version of the Ussal constructed using the Master Builder set, while the red Ussal is a design of my own.

Inspiration

Midak munching on a blade of grass.

#Bonus Images

Candlehead returns, much to Meso’s dismay.
Reference (8:17)

Cult Business

I’ll just leave this here.

Taipu tricks unsuspecting Matoran into carrying boulders around.
Might explain why this minigame was so tedious.

LDD models for most of the Ussal crabs I built for the project.

The mining cart in LDD.

The mining light in LDD.

The Elevator:

As I said earlier, it was too expensive to build the elevator frame as well as the body.

The idea was to have cables passing along the spools on this frame, which would attach to the elevator body via the protruding liftarms on the roof.

The cables would join to the bottom set of spools.

This bottom set of spools is attached to a long pole that can be turned using the small crank at the end. Provided it works, turning this crank should pull the cable along the spools, causing the elevator to ascend or descend depending on the direction turned.

archive

Follow the links to view the other entries into the project:

22/07 - Ga-Koro Boat
03/08 - #1: Kolhii Players & Primary Characters
06/08 - #2: Ta-Matoran
10/08 - #3: Ga-Matoran
13/08 - #4: Po-Matoran
17/08 - #5: Le-Matoran
20/08 - #6: Ko-Matoran
24/08 - #7: Onu-Matoran
27/08 - #8: Biowave & Bonus Content
12/09 - Onu-Koro Elevator

#Next Time: Biowave & Bonus Content

#The Biowave Project - a Community Initiative

I and a few other members of the Bionicle community are currently developing content for an expanded G1 storyline, which includes MOCs and a webcomic series covering events following the defeat of Makuta Teridax.

###The Biowave Project Website is now live.

All of our work for the project will be archived on the site.

Along with project and set overviews, you’ll find several new entries into the Story section:

###Looking for an Artist

Our previous lead artist was unable to continue working on the webcomic series due to a lack of free time.
If anyone is interested in producing the first episode of the series (i.e. drawing and writing each frame), please contact me.
Whether you’re set on fulfilling the role or not, please don’t hesitate to ask about the project and the work required.

It is highly desirable that you:

• Have existing artwork to show to us,
  • Have a reasonable amount of free time to commit to the project,
  • Can utilise an art style that closely resembles the following (or that is simple, such as the MNOG style):

Our previous artist’s style: inspired by the movies’ aesthetic, and by the MNOG art style.

-Hazash-

71 Likes

really really nice!

@Anaru_LST that’s da boi

11 Likes

You just do not dissapoint, Onu-Matoran were my favorite, especially Midak, Damek, the mining ussal, and the “Matoran at Work” sign.
I also think putting a candle on one’s head is an Ancient Egyptian thing, but I may be wrong.

3 Likes

Ah yes, another installment of my favorite project on the boards, incredible as always!

3 Likes

Yay! This is probably one of my favorites. The Ussal crabs and overall feel of Onu matoran gear just looks cohesive and natural.

1 Like

Your dedication and effort into this project never ceases to amaze :thumbsup:

Amazing, but I do wish Damek’s forehead had the black.

These are really cool.

An excellent way to finish off the Matoran. The elevator shaft has a wonderfully intricate design, as does the mining cart. Your inclusion of Candlehead also made my day.

That cart is adorable!

And tehutti, Aiyetoro and the mining Usal look like they’re made of shadows XD

And that light is great, even if the gold piece isn’t transparent to look like its glowing the solid color does make it look like a really dense crystal.

HOLY THAT ELEVATOR IS NICE!

Nice part usage for protodermis.

And you’re great at reenacting the positions and movements of the matoran in Mnog with that Hahli carrying the ball shot.

Ultimately would have been a zero gregs out of ten until i saw that you gave Midak a Midak skyblaster.

you get ten :gregf:s out of 10

2 Likes

Oh dear.
Well that definitely wasn’t the description I was going for :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I think this might be my new favourite. The mining ussal and the elevator are really nicely done, as well as all the other props. My only problem is the off-colour purple masks.

LEGO purple is a very peculiar colour so it’s the best match I could find.

Just ask @Anaru_LST for his magical purple making powers.

2 Likes

I understand. You still did amazing, considering.

these are awsome i especially love the elevator

Amazing as always.

Funny, bc my Mata Nui / Metru Nui Matoran self moc looks a bit like Azibo

Matatu hasn’t come in the mail yet lol

1 Like

the hell is on his ankle???