Gohrik (Dark Hunter 5/6)

1 more to go now!

Here we have MOC number 5 in my Dark Hunter series, Gohrik, the muscle of the group.

Bio:

Gohrik was originally of the Steltian bruiser species, and served as hired muscle for a small band of mercenaries and assassins operating around the Northern Continent and surrounding islands. The Shadowed One took notice of the group, and all were taken to Odina to be forcibly recruited into the Dark Hunters to eliminate any competition.
The Shadowed One knew that they would surely defect if he kept them all alive, but believed it would be a waste to kill all of them. As a solution, he had Roodaka mutate Gohrik into a more monstrous form and Myrmiga kill the others in secret. Gohrik believes some of the other Dark Hunters are his comrades, though he is unsure which.

After the death of Teridax, Gohrik was hired by Velika alongside 5 other hunters to kill anyone who could pose a threat to his rule. Gohrik was particularly chosen for his tendency towards wanton destruction, which if targeted against innocent Matoran, could be used to lure out more noble targets to be killed by the other Hunters.

While his new body is smaller than the original, Gohrik still retains most of his strength. His newfound body has rendered him unable to fly, but allows him to move faster than he normally would. His intelligence is above average for his species, but he is still prone to forgetfulness and redundant statements, and particularly lacks subtlety.

Function

The function was taken straight from Skull Basher. Not exactly original, but I thought it suited the character well enough.

Images

Group Shot

Marono (red)
Akulax (blue)
Cuprum (brown)
Myrmiga (black)

Studio File
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AodcoUDvzhiw6xzzcR0_pmXRl6uU?e=lXA9zx

Credits
BioPack: SwampKryakwa, Lehvak Nuva
ColorPack: SwampKryakwa
Backgrounds: Vahkiti

32 Likes

I love this series of yours! They are done just right that they could be sets, plus each including this latest one contrast nicely.
Hmm I’m guessing to keep symmetry in colours there will be another red-ish or light coloured person to balance?

2 Likes

Thanks a lot! I do try to go for the “set” aesthetic with my MOC’s, so I’m glad it’s working.

I’m actually going for the typical Bionicle pattern of red, blue, green, brown, black and white. As such the last one will be white, I’m thinking I might go white and purple since purple isn’t all too common in Bionicle.

3 Likes

Ah. The muscles.
Bio: wait, was Roodaka offering “mutating services” to DHs any other time aside from the one with Nidhiki? Also, why DH need Krekka-like guy, if they have Krekka? I think more fitting would be if he was recruited right after Great Cataclysm to replace Krekka. The part with him thinking that some other DHs can be his past comrades is very cool though, a whole book could’ve been written about that.

MOC: Let’s start from legs: they are just Inika legs, but what makes them bad is feet choice. Krekka (and by “Krekka” I mean his spieces) do not have toes. And same actually goes for the tail. He is mutated, but it would be cooler to have a little more resemblance, I think. But the fact that all of his spikes/claws/teeth are silver is still very nice detail.
Body is ok. Function is nicely integrated.
Shoulders are bad. By shoulders I mean those super thin liftarms that connect arms to body. His arms are almost floating next to him. Better add some sort of armor here, really.
The hands though are great and are my favorite part of the guy. Those claws are very well done. I can really see him slashing-&-crashing everything with those.
And the head is goregous. It has similarities with Krekka, it is cool-looking, and also very unique. I would’ve replaced eyes with round plates 1x1 (like in Krekka), but this is more of a personal preference.
Bio:7/10
Build: 9/10

I like the head on this one! It looks quite animalistic.

I’d imagine it would have happened while she happened to be on Odina at the time, or TSO could have coerced her into it somehow. Failing that, the mutations don’t necessarily have to come from Roodaka

Bear in mind that the Piraka were all Dark Hunters at one point, and at least 3 other hunters share a species with TSO, so having multiple Dark Hunters of the same species isn’t unheard of. His bio says he was recruited to get rid of some competition, plus the fact that he’s (somewhat) more intelligent than Krekka.

If you look at other mutated characters like Nidhiki, Toa don’t exactly have mandibles or insect legs. While the method of mutation isn’t the same, the Shadow Matoran are also worth noting due to the similarities to Gohrik in terms of features.

Pretty simple fix in hindsight. I tried a couple different methods for adding some armour and settled on one.

I didn’t mean the spieces. DHs just already have several “big, brutal and not the brightest lightstones” members, so I wonder why would they recruit more. Krekka alone was enough of a headache. Just a little observation here.

Now that’s nice! :+1: