Cuprum (Dark Hunter 3/6)

Here it is, the third out of a series of Dark Hunter MOC’s I’m making. This is Cuprum, a fully mechanical being designed by Nynrah Ghosts to serve the Shadowed One.

Bio:
In order to make a fully subservient hunter, The Shadowed One had several Nynrah Ghosts kidnapped and ordered them to construct an automaton that would serve as his personal tool of destruction, in exchange for their freedom. However, upon completion the robot, now given the codename Cuprum, was ordered to kill its creators to prove its obedience and to prevent the secret from getting out. After the death of Makuta Teridax, Cuprum and 5 other Dark Hunters were hired by Velika to eliminate any threats to his reign; Cuprum’s destructive power and mindless obedience made it perfect for the task.

Cuprum possesses an advanced AI that can identify targets and analyse their weaknesses, allowing it to adjust its strategy accordingly. It is equipped with chainsaw for close range, and a heavy-duty cannon that fires miniature Kanoka disks, choosing which Kanoka to use based on the target. Many of Cuprum’s other systems revolve around Kanoka, including a self-repair system, emergency teleporter and cloaking device. However, it is slow to move and has a weak spot in the tube connecting to its cannon.

Functions:
Cuprum has one function per arm; the right one uses the Hordika function, while the left operates the cannon via a gear on the side.

Other Images:

The gang so far:

Marono (red)
Akulax (blue)

Studio File (uses the biopack; credit SwampKryakwa, Lehvak Nuva)
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AodcoUDvzhiw6S7GOqnkRoOFFCVf?e=jNkilw

37 Likes

The idea for him is so cool. Everything ingenious is simple.
Idea with small Kanoka as well as with disks being incorported in his construction is super Bionicle-ish, but also a little bit weird.
Body design is excellent, I wonder if it was inspired by Silver from HF. Gives the mechanic feel after the first look.
His left arm is also quite cool, very nice use of that Av-Matoran arm. But handle on the canon sticks out. Maybe gear should be on one side, and handle on the other, so it wll be more symmetrical? Though that cannon adds some playability for sure.
The right arm and legs seem not so cool to me. The legs are just Inika legs (feet choice is neat), and weapon on the right arm is awkward and does not look like a chainsaw in my opinion. Maybe circular saw would be better.
Not flawless, but this is really great MOC, and could’ve been a nice set for 2010.

EDIT: with circular saw it is very postapocalyptic:

2 Likes

Exactly this.

actually it wasn’t, I wasn’t even aware of that until now but I can kinda see the resemblance.

If I did that, it wouldn’t hold together as well, I originally had the gear at the top but that didn’t look so good so putting it to the side was the best compromise I could come up with.

IMO there’s no such thing as a flawless MOC. Even the ones I’m most proud of have issues, and many official sets have their problems. That said, given that I’ve already made some minor changes to the others it’s more than likely that I’ll have made some improvements by the time I have a full set.

2 Likes

Guy in the middle of the group shot is giving some strong Embo vibes.

1 Like

I had a slightly different idea with the saw, wondering whether or not I should make it double-sided

That was actually one of the inspirations. Cuprum also takes some elements from SW, the overall shape is partly based off of a super battle droid and the colour scheme is a reference to HK-47

6 Likes

reminds me of the big daddy from bioshock

2 Likes