Myrmiga (Dark Hunter 4/6)

4 down, 2 to go. Here’s Myrmiga, an insectoid Dark Hunter and the fourth in my series.

Now to address the Tahtorak in the room, the boxart. Recently 2 new things were released to make Studio renders look even better, namely SwampKryakwa’s colour pack and over 100 backgrounds compiled by Vahkiti. If you use Studio, I’d strongly suggest getting both of those things. As for why I decided to go all the way and decided to make boxart, I don’t even know to be honest.

Bio
Myrmiga was a member of a sapient Rahi species created by the Brotherhood of Makuta to serve as hive queens ruling over other insectoid Rahi. As such, she and the rest of her species were given the Makuta’s power of insect control. Having formed a hive on Odina, she quickly caught the attention of the Shadowed One, who recruited her and her hive into the Dark Hunters.

Some time before the Toa/Dark Hunter War, Myrmiga came into contact with Roodaka, who based her transformation of Toa Nidhiki partly on her appearance. Around 3000 years later, after the death of Makuta Teridax, Myrmiga was hired by Velika alongside 5 other hunters to help further his goals by assassinating anyone who could pose a threat to his rule.

Myrmiga has such control over her hive that she can telepathically communicate her will to them, effectively allowing her to be in multiple places at once with minimal risk to herself. She rarely ever leaves her hive, preferring to have her underlings bring her targets to her or take hostages to lure said targets out. She is also utterly sadistic, even by Dark Hunter standards, and takes great pleasure in torturing her victims whether they’re her target or not.

Function
Myrmiga has a gear function at her back allowing her to move her arms and wings to fly, or perform a digging motion if her wings are folded.

Images

Group Shot (so far)

Marono (red)
Akulax (blue)
Cuprum (brown)

Parts Used:
Biopack (credit: SwampKryakwa, Lehvak Nuva)

Studio File
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AodcoUDvzhiw6l423fK6tLxmqYXB?e=S9mgIy

39 Likes

This looks really cool, I love seeing well done non-humanoid mocs.

1 Like

First of all, it is a great MOC: detailed, unique. Also it looks like a Bionicle version of Queen Beast from Hero Factory.
Legs are as simple as they are good. Body design is very cool and original, very insectoid-like. Weapons fit well. Head is neat.
The function is, however, not as good, I think. It would be cooler if wings were availble to sort of vibrate, like with real insects (Maybe a will try to build such a mechanism later). Also, that handle does not look appealing to me.
Her backstory is somewhat… unfitting. Rahi spieces that controls other Rahi spieces? And then got hired into DH?
More serious questions: Is her hive just includes random insect Rahi? If so, do DH now have insectoid army? How sapient she is?
In conclusion:
As a MOC - 10/10.
As a Character - 6/10.

2 Likes

Not every function I make can be on the level of Marono or Akulax, but I see your point. The handle is probably an easy fix, the vibration thing less so.

I’ll admit I didn’t really think the backstory through as much as I did for Cuprum. Maybe I’ll take out the part about her being a Rahi, though Rahi in the ranks of the Dark Hunters aren’t unheard of (Charger and Minion come to mind).

I’d say her hive is big enough to carry out her will remotely, but not big enough to be an army, so their usefulness would be limited somewhat beyond Myrmiga’s missions and would include multiple kinds of Rahi including Nui-Jaga, Nui-Rama and the lightning bugs from MNOG.

Assuming she’s a Rahi (which I might change), think on the levels of Keetongu or Krahka.

1 Like

very nice

pretty realistic as actual sets. to the point where i want to revamp them as if they were actual sets lol.

1 Like

I’ve done some sort of “flickering” mechanism, that could be used for wings. Part of it is taken from Dragon Bolt (or Skull Basher, whichever you like more).
What I added is a gear. When the yellow gear rotates, it presses and releases red button alternately, and if rotated fast enough, wings will move in a waving motion. When button is released, wings fold up using a rubber band (Dragon Bolt) or a ridged tube (Skull Basher).
In the first variant, it is harder to rotate the gear, but wings move wider.

Released button

Pressed button
In the second variant, the gear is smaller, and will be more easy to rotate, but wings won’t really move, only sort of vibrate.

I must say, that I haven’t tested either variant, and that they both will damage button and gear pieces (because friction). Also, I have doubts, if the first variant will work as intended, but I assume it will. I hope I’ve explained the idea.

3 Likes

Coincidentally enough, I’ve just done a Skull Basher mechanism for the next Dark Hunter in line. It’s a good enough idea, but I wouldn’t want to do anything that could damage parts. I’ll see if I can find something that works while causing as little damage as possible, but I think you might be on the right track.

also, in case you’re interested, here’s a preview of the next DH I’m doing.

3 Likes