#5: Le-Matoran (MNOG Project)

#The MNOG Project: Le-Matoran

Welcome to the MNOG Project:

Over the next few weeks, I’ll be reviewing every named Matoran from both Mata Nui Online Games in set form, complete with items and props based on those found and used by the Matoran of Mata Nui.

This time, I’ll be reviewing the Le-Matoran.

Disclaimer: BS01 and the Bionicle Wiki tend not to agree on the identities of certain Matoran, however I will assume here that all information on both wikis is true and present the Matoran as they appear on either wiki.
Where both wikis agree that a particular Matoran is absent from both games and is only mentioned, my own non-canon designs for said Matoran have been presented.
I have assigned a few of these ‘ambiguous Matoran’ a second non-canon occupation, which has allowed me to utilise a few more props I had in mind.
For the above reasons, any non-canon elements of this entry will be (bracketed and italicised).

#The Gukko Force

Kongu

Occupation: Captain of the Gukko Force, right hand of Turaga Matau, mapmaker, weaver, Kolhii player, based on this list: probably a workaholic
Appears in: MNOG I, MNOG II
Tools / Props: Kahu / Ka
Details: According to the wikis, the Kahu Kongu rides in MNOG I is Ka (his pet Kahu), though Ka’s presence in the Mask of Light as a Gukko makes me question this.

The Kahu is the combiner model for the Nui-Jaga. To match the appearance of Kongu’s Kahu in MNOG I, I made some modifications to the colour scheme.

Vira

Appears in: MNOG I, MNOG II (mentioned only)
Tools / Props: Guiding beacons
Details: According to the Bionicle Wiki, Vira appears in MNOG I with the above colours and mask.

Vira guides Kongu off the ground.
For anyone confused by Vira’s props, look up ‘aircraft marshalling’.

Taiki

Appears in: MNOG I, MNOG II (mentioned only)
Tools / Props: Kewa
Details: According to the Bionicle Wiki, Taiki appears in MNOG I with the above colours and mask.

The Kewa is one possible build in the Master Builder set. To match the Kewa seen in MNOG I, I gave it a green and orange colour scheme.

(Orkahm)

Appears in: MNOG II (mentioned only)
Tools / Props: Air and Ice Ussal
Details: This is my non-canon interpretation of post-Metru Nui Orkahm.
I added the ‘Ussal rider’ occupation to link back to his role on Metru Nui, and to show off some alternate designs for the Ussal crabs.

(Shu)

Appears in: (MNOG I), MNOG II (mentioned only)
Details: This is my non-canon interpretation of Shu - assuming this is his appearance, he would have appeared in MNOG I (in canon, he does not).
You’ll see why I chose this design later.

(Boreas)

Appears in: MNOG II (mentioned only)
Details: This is my non-canon interpretation of Boreas.
I wanted to try this colour scheme as it isn’t used by any other named Le-Matoran.

Inspiration

The Gukko Force, featuring both a Kahu and Kewa.

Vira’s fancy glowsticks.

#Musicians

These Matoran represent the ‘band’ playing in Le-Koro during MNOG I.

Makani

Tools / Props: Horn
Details: This was my best attempt at recreating Makani’s horn.

Sanso

Tools / Props: Flute
Disclaimer: In hindsight, I should have painted his flute brown to make it look more wooden.

Taiki

Tools / Props: Chimes

Disclaimer: I would have made the frame brown to make it look wooden, however the relevant brown parts were not available.

(Shu)

Tools / Props: Trumpet-esque instrument
Details: I used this design for Shu so that he could double as the unnamed band member.

Disclaimer: This unnamed band member plays an instrument that I couldn’t recreate without it looking obnoxious, so I opted to change its design.

(Boreas)

Tools / Props: Bongos
Details: There was never a percussionist in the MNOG I band so I thought I’d make Boreas their part-time bongo player.

Inspiration

The MNOG I band. On the left is the unnamed member (who I made to be Shu).

#Crafters

Kumo:

Tools / Props: Pick, bamboo disk, crafting table

Inspiration:

Kumo’s pick (which is called a hammer on BS01 for some reason).

#Trader

Tuuli

Tools / Props: Stall

In stock: bamboo poles (turned out much less green than expected), air bladder, sailcloth, rope, rigging, net and bamboo disks.
Disclaimer: I would have ideally made the stall brown, however brown pieces are quite rare - tan was the most convenient option.

Inspiration

Tuuli’s MNOG II stall, with the same items as those listed above.

turaga

Turaga Matau alongside his right hand, Kongu.

#Teachers

During MNOG II, Hahli learned about the Principle of Faith from Sanso, and trained in the Kolhii skill of Accuracy with Tamaru.

Tamaru

Occupation: Forest navigator, Kahu tamer, keeper of the Le-Koro disk range, Kolhii player, teacher
Tools / Props: Nui-Rama contraption
You can see my interpretation of Tamaru as a Toa here.

When recreating Tamaru’s contraption, I decided to include a simple gear function: turning the gear at the back causes the green stalk and propeller to spin.

Hahli trains in Accuracy by throwing bamboo disks at Tamaru’s contraptions.

Inspiration

Tamaru’s Nui-Rama contraptions, as seen in the MNOG II minigame.

The charms of Faith and Accuracy respectively.

#Bonus Images

A birthday present for @Mesonak :stuck_out_tongue: Here’s the reference for those unaware (18:06).
I didn’t have the parts to make the blue Kewa so this will have to do.

Tamaru joins the band.

LDD models of the band’s instruments in their original and intended colours.

Tamaru’s contraption in LDD.

archive

Follow the links to view the other entries into the project:

22/07 - Ga-Koro Boat
03/08 - #1: Kolhii Players & Primary Characters
06/08 - #2: Ta-Matoran
10/08 - #3: Ga-Matoran
13/08 - #4: Po-Matoran
17/08 - #5: Le-Matoran
20/08 - #6: Ko-Matoran
24/08 - #7: Onu-Matoran
27/08 - #8: Biowave & Bonus Content
12/09 - Onu-Koro Elevator

#Next Time: Ko-Matoran

#The Biowave Project - a Community Initiative

I and a few other members of the Bionicle community are currently developing content for an expanded G1 storyline, which includes MOCs and a webcomic series covering events following the defeat of Makuta Teridax.

###The Biowave Project Website is now live.

All of our work for the project will be archived on the site.

Along with project and set overviews, you’ll find several new entries into the Story section:

###Looking for an Artist

Our previous lead artist was unable to continue working on the webcomic series due to a lack of free time.
If anyone is interested in producing the first episode of the series (i.e. drawing and writing each frame), please contact me.
Whether you’re set on fulfilling the role or not, please don’t hesitate to ask about the project and the work required.

It is highly desirable that you:

• Have existing artwork to show to us,
  • Have a reasonable amount of free time to commit to the project,
  • Can utilise an art style that closely resembles the following (or that is simple, such as the MNOG style):

Our previous artist’s style: inspired by the movies’ aesthetic, and by the MNOG art style.

-Hazash-

83 Likes

Fantastic, freaking fantastic is all I can say

1 Like

I love the inclusion of the wooden Nui-Rama target :smile:

1 Like

Awesome, I love the designs of Tamarus contraption and the instruments of the Le-Matoran band.

Just so you know. You are fulfilling a dream I’ve had since I was 6 years old.

4 Likes

Oh man, these are all so so cool. So many memories of MNOG, and the special builds are excellent.
Making their appearance from the leafy corner…the Le-Matoran!

2 Likes

The band is great. :ok_hand:

This is amazing, and actually inspired me to try and play MNOG again.
It didn’t work out, but still. (How the heck do you get through the charred forest?)
These are amazing.

2 Likes

Meso’s advice would be to just keep clicking :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

I lost it at “FEED ME!”

2 Likes

AWESOMETACULAR as always!

Really like Tamaru.

2 Likes

This is amazing.

If I had to pick a favorite it would be Shu.

This is so awesome man
Did you have to paint the lime tohunga feet?

1 Like

Like I’ve said, these are really cool, but I kinda think these are the weakest so far. They’re not bad by any means, but I just don’t like them as much as the others. Still, these models, especially the props, are just brimming with creativity!

most likely. He’s been known to paint parts in colors that said part doesn’t exist in.

I did. Luckily the lime is a very good colour match.

3 Likes

I like the Rahi designs a lot this time around. Now I’m super pumped for the Onu Matoran though =P

0/10 not enough robot dances.

(Good stuff)

2 Likes

Ayyyy! Sing-Song Sanso!
Oh jeez, the band is great. I love that picture of Hahli throwing the disc at the Nui Rama target!

2 Likes

You just keep killing it with these mocs.

I’m a big fan…

1 Like